Dark Prophecy (an "Of Sound Mind" Storyhour) - FINALE! 3/29/05

SolidSnake

First Post
Whoops

I just realized I forgot to add some tags to the text. The post looks a lot better now that it is cleaned up. Sorry about that!

SolidSnake

First Post
Chapter 12

The mob of possessed villagers shambled towards the group, while a small force remained to guard the entrance to the tower.

“They are not your friends,” Akira shouted as he dropped one of the makeshift cots used transport Ichiro. “We must get to the bell or all is lost. Clear a path for me Yatsen!”

The young man nodded solemnly before taking off at a dead sprint towards the tower door. Saburo hesitated for a moment before acting. It was obvious that the villagers were moving to intercept Akira. They can sense the gem. Saburo made good use of this fact by paralleling his companions’ route and erupting onto the plaza from the opposite end of the plaza. His lungs burned like fire and his legs felt like lead. He saw that Yatsen and Akira had made it very close to the door but were quickly being overrun by Okamote and Masamichi. Saburo did not hesitate. Running straight into the fight he launched himself into the pair that attempted to drag Akira to the ground, colliding like a hurled boulder. All three men went down in a heap.

“Run,” Saburo yelled as he struggled to get to his feet before the two larger men he had slammed into.

Yatsen used the opportunity to shove Jushou; the Prefect’s wife, to the ground and open the door. Akira apologized profusely as he ran over her prone form to reach the threshold. With both men securely within the tower it was much easier to control the field. Yatsen used both the inexperience of the hostile villagers and his position to extract Saburo from the mob and close the door.

“That was close,” Yatsen breathed as he locked the door behind him.

There was a large crash as the portal strained against an unseen force. Thankfully it held.

“Saburo, listen to me;” Akira said intently as he placed the sapphire to the young man’s hand. “You have to get to the top somehow. Both of us have to stay down here to ring the bell and to hold them off. When you get to the bell, call down to us and we will ring it. If we don’t ring soon afterwards…you’ll have to do it yourself.”

Saburo nodded and began his ascent up the stairs; he did not look back. His journey was interrupted by a large wooden door halfway up the tower. He quickly tested it and cursed when he found that it was locked. The lock was simple enough but was badly rusted, ensuring that opening it would be difficult even with the appropriate key. Frustrated with the situation, Saburo repeatedly hurled himself against the door. His hopes for a miracle quickly turned into a nightmare as he heard the splinter of wood from below and the shouts of his companions. Pulling the sliver of metal he kept for occasions like this from his pocket, Saburo began to work. How many tumblers? Two? Yes. Now if I can just…Damn! Calm yourself. Concentrate. I must get this open. Everyone is depending on me. I WILL get this open. It’s not that difficult. I can do it.

Saburo’s tension melted away as he heard the satisfying click of the tumblers falling into place. Not a moment too soon, he mused as he shut the door behind him and ran up the remaining stairs. A hatch opened up onto the final level where the bell was located. Clambering up the stairs, he burst headlong into the cold embrace of winter’s chill. Shivering he stood over the entry and began to call out to his companions. He could hear the sounds of struggle beneath him, but it was a distinct noise caught his attention: the sound of people approaching. He yelled out louder on the off chance that his friends did not hear him, but there was no response. It was only when he shifted his weight to attempt to peer down the shaft of the tower was he nearly thrown from his feet. The hatch lurched from underneath him as his possessed townsmen attempted to swarm the small balcony surrounding the bell. He gripped the stone tighter as he resisted their efforts to gain access. Suddenly the world went still. He was dimly aware that his body was moving but something was very wrong. He looked down in his hands and saw the gem was beginning to crack. At first only a small spidery fissure appeared. Then another. Then another; until half the gem was a network of fractures. Something wet splashed against his cheek. He reached up to touch it. Blood.

Yes, blood you fool! Would you kill yourself to destroy me? Take me away from here and you will stand by my side as I rule this world…as my son.

The voice was so overwhelming in Saburo’s world of silence that he lost his balance, allowing the villagers below enough leverage to force their way up onto the balcony. He came crashing to the floor, the gem leaping from his hand. He watched in horror as the Prefect lumbered towards the sapphire that had skittered to a halt almost ten feet away. The voice cackled with glee:

Our deal has ended insect! You will be my slave along with the rest of your family! You will bear witness to my rebirth. Tremble before me!

Saburo pointed his finger at the stone and concentrated all of his anguish; all of his hate. No. A ray of power leapt from his hand and engulfed the stone. Screams of torment filled his mind for a moment and were abruptly silenced by the explosion of the stone. Saburo wasn’t sure, but he thought he was smiling right before the wave of oblivion overtook him.

SolidSnake

First Post
Epilogue

When Saburo awoke from his blissful reverie, he was certain that he would find his ancestors waiting for him. He was very glad that it was not the case. After the destruction of the gem, Doushi’s sway over the town ended along with the mysterious headaches and nightmares people were having. The Prefect made a quick political move to bolster the village’s morale by honoring Yatsen, Saburo, and Akira as equals to Kamigishu. They would each be placed at the head table alongside the Prefect’s family during the Festival of Liberation, which was only a few days off. He also proclaimed that from henceforth only Ichiro’s family would provide sake for the event and that Goto’s line would be forever considered the guardians of safety for the village. Akira would also have an honored place that would be equal to even Ide Yuske.

Saburo was very pleased with this outcome and was hoping to sit on his laurels until the Festival. That was the plan anyway until Yatsen and Akira personally summoned him to go see Utsuge. He had hoped to avoid that task entirely but like the other two men he knew he had no choice. Both Akira and Yatsen were dressed formally for the occasion and so Saburo knew that he must also follow suit. He now wore the wakazashi that Yatsen originally wielded; given to him for his valor at the Wyrmcall. The men said nothing to one another as they approached the ruins of the Old Town. They had traveled the path before and knew exactly where to look among the rubble. Utsuge’s hut was clearly visible this time as smoke poured from the roof. The gnarled old woman awaited them outside, a black bundle of cloth tucked under her right arm.

She ushered them inside, guiding each man to sit around the fire pit that spewed forth an almost nauseating smoke. The entire room was hazy; Saburo could barely make out Yatsen across the pit.

“Forgive me Utsuge for my impertinence, but why is it that you have summoned all three of us here,” Akira finally asked.

“We must complete the ritual that began when you set off on your quest,” the old woman answered. “Destiny has revealed itself to me. This will complete what inevitably will be. Now you must concentrate. Close your eyes and empty your mind of all thought. Focus on the Void.”

The three men did as instructed. Saburo could sense Utsuge right beside him, kneeling down before the pit. He thought he heard a thud as something heavy struck the bottom.

“I want you to know that you have all proven yourselves worth to be part of the Kamigishu legend. They would all be proud of their descendents on this day.”

Saburo thought he heard her last sentence said almost with anguish, but he shook it from his mind. He heard Utusuge’s footfalls leave the hut and felt a breeze blow through the room. Interestingly enough it wasn’t immediately stifled. In fact the breeze intensified into a strong wind that stung his face. Is this a test? Saburo focused harder. The wind howled all around him. Soon it began difficult even to maintain his seated position, forcing him to open his eyes to stabilize himself. What he saw horrified him. In his concentration he had not noticed the power of the vortex that had engulfed the hut. Its force had torn the roof asunder and was propelling the debris all around them. The source was a large clear ball with a glowing green seven-pointed star etched in its center. The vortex climbed almost fifty feet in the air to end in a black swirling gateway. He could see that both Akira and Yatsen were trying to hold onto anything to keep from being sucked up into the air. Utsuge watched from a safe distance, her eyes betraying her feelings of sorrow. Finally, it became too much for any of the three men and they all were torn from the earth and thrown up into the air towards the waiting black gateway. Just before he was consumed by the swirling black void, Saburo thought he saw Utsuge mouth “I’m sorry.”

A voice called to him. It was unlike Doushi’s voice. Not commanding and arrogant, but calm and soothing.

Saburo. Awake. I have done all I can for you. Now it is you who must find a way.

He was so cold, but felt detached from the pain. As if he was looking back upon his own suffering.

Do not fear. I have taught you the trade language of the new world. It is unlike yours; everything will seem strange to you. Adapt. Learn. Look for the signs. Whilst you take this journey look forward to the path ahead, but never forget to look back to remind yourself of who you are. My the ancestors be with you.

He was falling. The soul numbing cold was gone, replaced by overwhelming warmth. He looked up. A sea of azure blue engulfed him and towards the Heavens rested an emerald green sky. Strange, I've never seen... The sky seemed to draw nearer. Faster now. Oh no. The ground rushed up to meet him.

END OF PROLOGUE
Next Time: Shackled City

Remove ads