• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun, Blue Rose

Kesh

First Post
I was bored at work earlier this week, and was thinking about the homebrew campaign I'm working on. I've been trying to figure out the best way to make certain design elements fit d20, and was considering if Blue Rose would work best.

Then, something struck me... my setting was already going to steal a few concept elements from Dark Sun. My setting is an arctic world, while DS is a desert one, so certain ideas fit. But, thinking about that, I noticed how well Blue Rose matched parts of DS:

Sorcerer-kings? Check.
Corrupting magic? Check.
A need to protect nature? Check.
Political intrigue? Check.
Psychic powers? Check.
Psychic animals? Er, check. :cool:
Heroes who have to struggle to do the right thing, against all odds? Check.

I was just wondering if anyone has thought about running classic D&D settings with the Blue Rose rules, especially DS?

Turanil

First Post
Kesh said:
I was just wondering if anyone has thought about running classic D&D settings with the Blue Rose rules, especially Dark Sun?
I had thought myself about running Dragonlance with C&C, but I can assure you that you are the first person on this planet to have ever thought of running Dark Sun with Blue Rose! :eek:

Kesh said:
I was bored at work <...>
Aaaah! This explains it!! :p ;)

Anyway, after reading your arguments, I am tempted to believe that it could actually work. Especially if it's a different setting (IMO: Dark Sun has a so strong flavor, that it would be difficult to have people who both know of BR and DS, to accept the both being merged...)

Kesh

First Post
I'm sorely tempted to try it whenever I get a gaming group together. And, after all, you just have to say you're running DS with a "d20 lite" rules set, instead of telling them it's Blue Rose.

I really think it would work... just need to add a Defiling component to Sorcery, so that such spells destroy plant life when the spell is cast. Which is really just a descriptive thing, rather than mechanics.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads