• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Dark Sun Conversion to 4E

breschau

First Post
The easiest way to do psionics at first would be the half-elf multi-class like ability to use an at-will power as a per encounter power. Just give that to everyone. Half-elves get a total of two. Just call that one a 'psionic' power source. You could pick just about any power in the game, I'm sure, and it could work as a mind power. Especially all those push, pull, and slide powers.

Jhaelen

First Post
Dausuul said:
[*]Warlocks now have two pact types. Some warlocks draw their power from sorceror-kings, or from the Dragon; this is the "templar pact." Others draw their power from the spirits of the land; this is the "druidic pact." (These will probably use the rules for infernal and fey pacts respectively.)
I like warlocks as a replacement for druids - it's probably what I'll use in a standard 4E campaign as well.

What I've heard about the 4E druid didn't match my image of what a druid should be like. Shapechanging is an interesting concept to build a class around - but it should not be called druid.

I'm not so sure about the templars, though. I'd use paladins! My memory may be a bit rusty, but I think the templars' role was more that of defenders or leaders than strikers. Since paladins can have any alignment in 4E they're a perfect fit, imho.

smathis

First Post
breschau said:
The easiest way to do psionics at first would be the half-elf multi-class like ability to use an at-will power as a per encounter power. Just give that to everyone. Half-elves get a total of two. Just call that one a 'psionic' power source. You could pick just about any power in the game, I'm sure, and it could work as a mind power. Especially all those push, pull, and slide powers.

Seconded. Great idea, breschau.

dangerous jack

First Post
I like the idea of separate paths for Preservers and Defilers. I'd also go with different Minor Actions available to each as class abilities.

Defilers could get traditional Metamagic such as Empowering, Heightening, Widening, etc. at the expense of defiling the area they're in. They'd have to move before defiling again.

Preservers could get different utility type effects such as:
Preserving Connection - through connecting to the land, you gain tremorsense until your next turn
Preserving Reliability - roll 1d6, on a 3+ you recharge an Encounter power cast this turn, on a 5+ you recharge a Daily power cast this turn

Dausuul

Legend
dangerous jack said:
I like the idea of separate paths for Preservers and Defilers. I'd also go with different Minor Actions available to each as class abilities.

Defilers could get traditional Metamagic such as Empowering, Heightening, Widening, etc. at the expense of defiling the area they're in. They'd have to move before defiling again.

Preservers could get different utility type effects such as:
Preserving Connection - through connecting to the land, you gain tremorsense until your next turn
Preserving Reliability - roll 1d6, on a 3+ you recharge an Encounter power cast this turn, on a 5+ you recharge a Daily power cast this turn

While I like this concept in principle, I'm not sure I want to do that much homebrewing on an unfamiliar ruleset...

There's no need to put the new 4th ed races into Dark Sun..wrecks the flavour of the place, IMHO. Though, Dray as Dragonbonrn are probably fine.

Dark Sun IS different.

I've never agreed with the setting's official history (which I find very silly) and ways of looking at preserving/defiling, for many reasons.

I'd suggest that, as someone's said, treat "preserving" as the standard method but no different to normal D&D, however defilers *are* and should be more powerful, but at a cost (that of damage to the environment and livign beings) .

Defilers have found a way to "cheat", to be more powerful and thus are indeed more powreful than preservers, and hence, preservers "lost" the war.
Just accept defilers as being more powerful, don't penalize preservers.

A method I'd suggest for defiling to make it truly nasty and scary (mostly for NPCs and animals) is this on castign a defiling spell:

1hp damage/spell level, in 1 square per spell level, Will save for 0 Damage, DC as per standard for a spell of that levle by that caster. The caster may opt to leave out allied creatures from the damage (including large plants).
However, there MUST be life energy to get the benefits form defiling. Otherwise the spell goes off as normal.

A defiler can thus tap into a forested or heavy growth area twice, first cast always destroys minor plant life, a second cast will awalys destroy trees, large bushes etc. This means that a defiler won't automatically destroy his "battery" of trees and makes sense as trees = more life force.

it also means defilers can use Living beings for power sources! An evil defiler can keep slaves chained nearby...untilt hey die, he can defile.

Thus most folk, even allies, simply don't WANT to be near a defiler, only trusted henchmen remain close knowing they are safe (unless their boss gets upset...or runs out of slaves etc)

Non steel weapons do -1hit/damage where appropriate (wood sword for example, but obsidian sword would do normal damage, in fact you can argue obsidian pierce/slash should do +1 damage as it's truly razor sharp...but breaks easy).
non-approproate weapons should break on a roll of 1.

Treat halfgiants as ogres, for simplicity.

Hm? :)

smathis

First Post
Silverblade The Ench said:
non-approproate weapons should break on a roll of 1.

By break, I would add 'reduce damage die by one die type'. So a bone dagger (1d4) that breaks drops to 1d3 damage. An obsidian short sword that breaks becomes (effectively) a dagger (1d6 --> 1d4).

If/when I get the opportunity to run 4e, I'll be using Levels of Success for to-hit and skill checks. So there will be a chance of complete and total breakage. But it will be rare.

I like it in action movies where a swordsman breaks his sword but still is capable of using it.

I could see that transposed to Dark Sun where my gladiator has his bone battleaxe (1d8) broken but uses the stone shaft (1d6) to impale his opponent.

dangerous jack

First Post
Dausuul said:
While I like this concept in principle, I'm not sure I want to do that much homebrewing on an unfamiliar ruleset...

True, it's probably a wee bit early to suggest mechanical house rules. :)

One thing I did dislike about defiling (although my group never got the chance to play DS), was keeping track of what areas had been defiled. With 4E's tactical grid, more rounds/encounter, and arcane at will powers, I'm very wary of having every spell create a defiled zone. Although a whole bunch of tokens/markers to cover the grid with would mediate this.

Dausuul

Legend
dangerous jack said:
True, it's probably a wee bit early to suggest mechanical house rules. :)

One thing I did dislike about defiling (although my group never got the chance to play DS), was keeping track of what areas had been defiled. With 4E's tactical grid, more rounds/encounter, and arcane at will powers, I'm very wary of having every spell create a defiled zone. Although a whole bunch of tokens/markers to cover the grid with would mediate this.

I wouldn't think it would matter most of the time, unless the vegetation is thick enough to constitute difficult terrain. In which case you just erase whatever marker you're using to indicate "difficult terrain."

WhatGravitas

Explorer
frankthedm said:
Defiling
Defiling should be the default assumption on arcane power sources. Arcane PCs should be expected to defile. Being a preserver means you are taking the moral high road on a world where that is not supposed to be rewarded. If someone chooses to preserve, they can chose to either...
What about shifting dailies to encounter powers, encounter powers to at-wills - or vice versa (depending whether you want to penalize preservers or empower defilers). Would represent that difference pretty well - preserves would cast their spells less often, because they don't get as much energy as defilers.

Cheers, LT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads