Dark Sun info from DDXP

Rothe_

First Post
Well, swordmages are kind of FR specific...

Same as artificers in Eberron.

I would not add them to Dark Sun as classes - unless you like every world to have the same flavours mixed in.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Well, swordmages are kind of FR specific...

Same as artificers in Eberron.
There's nothing Forgotten Realms-specific about swordmages; they're just published in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. It's not like the dark pact for warlocks is FR-specific, either.

Artificers, I think, are more appropriate for Eberron, where magic is treated more like a science than in other settings - and I wouldn't say that artificers make a lot of sense in Dark Sun*.

Swordmages, though? There's nothing inherently inappropriate about a Dark Sun swordmage, especially considering some of the out-there psionic characters in its heritage.

* Although now that I say that, reflavouring some of the artificer's constructs as little bundles of bones and sticks and stones held together with a paste of dust and saliva and blood could be cool . . .

Nytmare

David Jose
Magic weapons couldn't break iirc, since they were entirely made from steel swords (in 2e)

I'd be bummed if they went through all the trouble of reimplementing inferior materials and weapon breakage, and they only affected 1st level characters.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I recall reading something to the effect that non-metal weapons (obsidian, etc.) can be magic in 4e DS. I don't expect magic weapons to be unbreakable (unless they go the route of inherent bonuses and make magic weapons a true rarity).

It may not be much of an issue though. After all, the breaking mechanics just give you the option to reroll a nat 1 in exchange for breakage. Since it's the player's choice to reroll (and therefore whether his Obsidian Holy Avenger breaks in the first place is in the player's hands) it may not be necessary to compensate them at all. The player knew what would happen when he took the reroll; he may as well accept the consequences.

Remove ads