Dark Sun: Metal is inherently worse?

Spatula

Explorer
I can see why Metal armor is a bad idea. I've been in the desert and have seen the results of overheating far too many times. That said, the bone/horn/whatever armor is supposed to be sub-optimal materials.
Sub-optimal compared to what, though? No one wears metal armor on Athas, so the non-metal armors become the baseline. If a suit of metal armor was discovered in some ruins, it would be turned into something that Athasians could actually use.

WanderingMonster

First Post
I'm considering using an armor breakage rule. If you get hit with a crit, you lose a point of AC from the armor (the bone is chipped away, the chiten is crushed, etc) until it can be repaired. I'm having trouble rationalizing it with armor that isn't traditionally metal though (such as hide or leather). Perhaps I'll put a cap on the amount of AC that a give piece of armor can lose.

Make it a choice like reckless breakage. On a critical, give the player the option to take the extra damage or reduce the effectiveness of the armor. The armor can be repaired during an extended rest (no need for a skill check). Metal armor is not subject to that effect.

MarkB

Legend
Make it a choice like reckless breakage. On a critical, give the player the option to take the extra damage or reduce the effectiveness of the armor. The armor can be repaired during an extended rest (no need for a skill check). Metal armor is not subject to that effect.

Or make it completely mirror weapon breakage. Choosing to use Reckless Defense obliges the attacker to re-roll their attack, but damages the armour. In metal armour, the armour is only damaged if the re-rolled attack hits.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Metal weapons and armor are considered masterwork. They're all a minimum of +2. It's not that metal is worse. It's that they've slid the scale. Bone/obsidian/chitin is moved up from inferior to normal and metal is moved up to masterwork +2. Since it's done across the board there's no need for rules to model inferior materials and metal becomes awesome. Well, maybe not so much for armor...

Or make it completely mirror weapon breakage. Choosing to use Reckless Defense obliges the attacker to re-roll their attack, but damages the armour. In metal armour, the armour is only damaged if the re-rolled attack hits.

This would suck on the player side, possibly turning a crit into a miss. I'd say force a re-roll and lose a point of AC. If the attack hits, the crit is confirmed. Otherwise, it's just a normal hit.

There is another issue as well: what about Non-AC Defenses. Chipping away at the armor is obvious. Chipping away at the amulet... that's stretching things.

I'm positive there is an interesting and workable rule in this idea, we just aren't too it yet.

Vanifae

First Post
I would add that metal armor is not inherently useless but obviously walking around the desert in it would be suicidal. In cooler indoor environments metal armor is still a form of masterwork armor that could be very effective.

Of course story/RP wise it could bring about way too much attention and enemies to be worthwhile but that is a bridge the PCs will have to cross on their own.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
If you have a source of rerolls or are an avenger, metal weapons are very nice since you can just take the reroll and then use a different reroll if it comes up that it would actually break. Makes it very unlikely, anyways.

Of course, avengers aren't available in Dark Sun save for DM Fiat due to that whole pesky "no divine" thing.

But, yes, that would be a both effective and potentially hilarious combo. :)

Brad

I can see the weapon breakage used for shields, but for armor I find it less intriguing.

Shield Breakage: If you are hit with a critical hit, you can force the attacker to reroll the attack, but your shield is destroyed and rendered useless after the attack.
Metal Shields: Metal shields only break if the attacker rolles a 16 or higher on his reroll.

twilsemail

First Post
Metal weapons and armor are considered masterwork. They're all a minimum of +2. It's not that metal is worse. It's that they've slid the scale. Bone/obsidian/chitin is moved up from inferior to normal and metal is moved up to masterwork +2. Since it's done across the board there's no need for rules to model inferior materials and metal becomes awesome. Well, maybe not so much for armor...

Dark Sun Campaign Setting p. 119 said:
Among the higher-level magic items, both metal and non-metal items exist. Magic metal armor also exists. Such items are of masterwork quality, with a minimum enhancement bonus of +2.

That seems to contradict what you said up there, Ahrimon.

Having spoken to my DM, there would be situational bonuses and penalties when wearing metal armor. I've also pointed him at this thread to take a look at the ongoing suggestions of ENWorld.

TheClone

First Post
I like the armor and shield breakage rules both. Just consider how complicated it gets, but it should be okay. But I don't like the weapon breakage rules that much. The possibility that it is used is really small. It must be an important attack (like bringing don the enemy when you hp are low) or with a rare ability (a daily or maybe a good encounter power). Then you need a 1, too. Both in combination will happen really seldom. And you won't use it if have no equally good backup weapons (here the inheritant enhancement bonus rule helps much). I guess I'll revise it, but I don't know how yet.

By the way, has wizards considered the fact that broken weapons need to be repaired in the treasure tables? I think not. But repairing an item costs 20% of the original price and given the fact that gold is more or less seldom given out as treasure, this is quite a lot or forces the players to sell magic items.

Remove ads