Dark Sun: Metal is inherently worse?

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
That seems to contradict what you said up there, Ahrimon.

You can still have +2 to +6 bone/chitin/stone weapons and armor. It's just that you won't find a normal metal sword. Or a normal suit of chainmail. Every metal weapon and armor is a minimum of +2. At least that's how I understood it.

Aegeri

First Post
You can still have +2 to +6 bone/chitin/stone weapons and armor. It's just that you won't find a normal metal sword. Or a normal suit of chainmail. Every metal weapon and armor is a minimum of +2. At least that's how I understood it.

That's also how I interpreted it as well.

gribble

Explorer
I find it weird that it is impossible to find non-magical metal armour... unless you just make it a non-magical "+2" or something, but the rules don't seem to support that.

TheClone

First Post
The arena fighter from "Bloodsand Arena" (free rpg adventure) has a metal longsword without any magic. (Don't know what DDXP is)

It is not said, that it is totally impossible to have non-magic metal equipment. If you like, just give it to your players or npcs. No one will stop you. It's just to "visualize" the high price and rarity of metal items that they made them at least +2. But if you say "Hey, this ancient ruin that will get plundered by the pcs should have a half rusty metal greatsword in it", just do it. It just shouldn't be common to do this.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I would imagine that the reason for a lack of "just regular" metal armor is that anything more common than the +2 stuff has been found and scavenged, possibly broken down into other stuff.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
The arena fighter from "Bloodsand Arena" (free rpg adventure) has a metal longsword without any magic. (Don't know what DDXP is)

Yeah, that was one of the first things that I thought of when I read how they're doing it. I just chalked it up to the fact that either the games day and encounters stuff were put together before the all of the rules were finalized or that the writers goofed. It's not like that hasn't happened in the games day stuff before. hehe.

Personally, I love how they gave +1 items to all of the games day characters even though they all have inherant bonuses of +1.

Crazy_Dragon

First Post
Wearing metal armor in the desert is psychotic, I've been hiking in deserts and a rule of thumb is metal=bad

In true full plate armor (chain and cloth underneath) anything above 80 for prolonged periods will severely hurt you.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Did they ever explain why there is no metal?

Well, the Tyr region is relatively small, relative to the planet's probable surface area. The mine at Tyr may well be the only deposit they can get to with Stone Age technology. By this point, garbage dumps have probably been mined out of any of their metal, and any metal has been recycled a lot.

Brad

Remove ads