Darkmagic vs. Do'Urden - Watch Friday's Night's Acquisition's, Inc. Game!

Friday night's two-plus hour live Acquisitions, Inc. game at PAX Prime is now available for your watching delight. Chris Perkins, dressed ... interestingly ... runs the Rage of Demons adventure in front of a live audience. The players were Mike Krahulik (playing the wizard Jim Darkmagic), Jerry Holkins (playing the half-elf Omin Dran), Scott Kurtz (playing the dwarf Binwin Bronzebottom), and Patrick Rothfuss (playing the rogue Viari). In the runup to it, it was billed as "Darkmagic vs. Drizzt Do’Urden".

Friday night's two-plus hour live Acquisitions, Inc. game at PAX Prime is now available for your watching delight. Chris Perkins, dressed ... interestingly ... runs the Rage of Demons adventure in front of a live audience. The players were Mike Krahulik (playing the wizard Jim Darkmagic), Jerry Holkins (playing the half-elf Omin Dran), Scott Kurtz (playing the dwarf Binwin Bronzebottom), and Patrick Rothfuss (playing the rogue Viari). In the runup to it, it was billed as "Darkmagic vs. Drizzt Do’Urden".

[video=youtube;LA3VbDqj7C4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA3VbDqj7C4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

erwtenpeller

First Post
That set was baller, though. Every time I watch these things there's a little voice in the back of my head that goes how did we get to a point where a bunch of writers and cartoonists playing D&D makes for a stage show that draws huge crowds? It's awesome that they dress it up nicely and make it look good!

Mike: "Wait, so he's Omin, and his sister's Portentia, and his other sister is Aspexia... It's like a fortune telling pun! Did you get that?"
Scott: "Yeah, I got it... FIVE :):):):)ING YEARS AGO!"

Love it.

Did they REALLY start this ten years ago? I thought they had only been doing this since 4th Edition broke, and that was 2008.

Did anyone else think Scott was sick or something? He was sweating, but that could have been due to size and temperature on stage, but his voice sounded like an octave lower, too, like he had a head cold or something.

In any event, it wa a blast, and I look forward to finishing it tomorrow.
It started in 2008 so its only been 7 years. But they've doubled up a few times and had two per year so it might well have been the 10th or even 11th one.

Iosue

Legend
It started in 2008 so its only been 7 years. But they've doubled up a few times and had two per year so it might well have been the 10th or even 11th one.

Season 1 was 2008. Chris Perkins DM'd the first half, James Wyatt did the second.

Seasons 2 and 3 were April and then September, 2009. These featured Wil Wheaton.

Season 4 was 2010. It was the first live game.

Season 5 was 2011. It was the last to use 4e.

Season 6 was 2012. It was the first of the playtest games, the last Wil Wheaton game, and featured Danielle.

Season 7 was 2013. This was a combined podcast and live game featuring Patrick Rothfuss.

Season 8 was 2014. This had the first PAX East game, featuring Morgan Webb. It was the first season to use the finished 5e rules.

And this year was Season 9.

Last edited by a moderator:

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Edit:
Saw the entire thing, it was great, I thought it was a bit tangential, but seeing it in its entirety changes it alot. Absolute fun to watch and Chris Perkins does not disappoint as DM to the stars. Now, can they get Vin Diesel for next years celebrity show??

Great props and I think I saw the new mini's for Rage of Demons featured.

Last edited by a moderator:

darjr

I crit!
I could of sworn there was a shirt one they did in 2007 that was only Chris Perkins, I remember, at the time, wishing Chris Perkins ran the whole season like last year. Not that James Wyatt is bad, he is good.

dalisprime

Explorer
Well, you could say the spores of demonic madness where the mcguffin this time around.
Being the polar opposite of a rules lawyer myself, I find Perkins' quick, loose and fun style very inspiring!
So many ways to play the same game <3

Don't get me wrong - I thoroughly enjoy his games. It's not him that twists the rules either - its his players. In 2014 it was Morgan turning pass without trace into group invisibility and trying to act all ruleslawyer on Perkins about it, this time we have the bunch of things I listed earlier. Not quite sure we can classify the demonic spores as the mcguffin as they didn't really do much other than making Drizzt and Daniele insane. Certainly not on the same level as the massive statue of Tarrasque obliteration, Airship of dragon smiting or the beholder robot (yes it was used this time as well but not offensively - the beholder getting killed by it through a teleportation mishap doesn't really count).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I could of sworn there was a shirt one they did in 2007 that was only Chris Perkins, I remember, at the time, wishing Chris Perkins ran the whole season like last year. Not that James Wyatt is bad, he is good.

The very first one they did was Chris DMing for Jerry, Mike and Scott and they ran a few rooms of Keep On The Shadowfell. They only played long enough that day to last 4 podcast sessions though (probably a 2 hour session). So I'm guessing after they recorded it, WotC heard the sessions, really liked what they heard, and decided they wanted to have four more sessions to make it a full eight. So they brought the guys back, and I'm assuming that the day they did it Chris wasn't available to continue where they left off for some reason. So James Wyatt stepped in, moved the group ahead to the end of KotS and had them face off against Kalarel.

WotC then decided that for each game they had later on, they made sure to play long enough to get a full eight sessions out of it, which allowed them to have Chris run the whole thing. The second series brought in Wil Wheaton and they went through the Storm Tower, and the third podcast series had them taking on the Ambermill mansion. After that is when they started moving on the with the Live games instead, which is where Chris really started to earn the "DM To The Stars" moniker.

Uchawi

First Post
I guess it proves even the most hardened D&D fans or role-players are geeks at heart. Give me 15 minutes in a public audience and all bets are off. But beyond the surface value, I have never experienced a D&D game in that fashion, unless the true intent was just to meet with friends and the game was secondary. It definitely helps define a casual game amongst friends.

Remove ads

Remove ads