DarkMatter D20: Drunk Southern Girls with Guns ... UPDATED - 8/18/05!

What would you like to see in the DarkMatter campaign?

• Cthulhu, baby

Votes: 66 23.7%
  • More anal probing!

Votes: 66 23.7%
  • Rather less anal probing, thank you.

Votes: 33 11.9%
  • Deeper Conspiracy theory stuff

Votes: 84 30.2%
  • More traditional monster/horror tone

Votes: 29 10.4%

jonrog1

First Post
Funny you should mention the kender. In our D&D arc Jo delighted in tormenting us with a kender. And "torment" is exactly the right word.

Simply imitating a high-pitched flute sound at our table (the sound of the approaching sprite) will initiate a series of initiative rolls and brutal attacks.

And just when you thought Dragonlance was dead and we were through with them forever, they go and license it out.

Ugh.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
jonrog1 said:
Funny you should mention the kender. In our D&D arc Jo delighted in tormenting us with a kender. And "torment" is exactly the right word.

Simply imitating a high-pitched flute sound at our table (the sound of the approaching sprite) will initiate a series of initiative rolls and brutal attacks.

And just when you thought Dragonlance was dead and we were through with them forever, they go and license it out.

Ugh.

I was sure!

Jo acts like a wild kender. I was sure her player was a kender loving one...

Yes, now you will have official 3e kenders to pester your games forever. Mwahahahahahaha!!!! :D

jonrog1

First Post
RAW RECRUITS PT. 4

Jo leaned against the open van door as Andy scanned the streets. "Men in Black? Who are they?"

"They ... they ... well if you know who a Man in Black is, he's not a Man in Black!" Andy was losing a little ground here.

"And they were in an SUV," pointed out Stephen. "Not the most sinister of vehicles."

"Maybe they're the Soccer Moms in Black..." said Ross.

"All right, all right." Andy slid his gun back up against the small of his back. "But the fact remains -- that teacher got into an SUV, the SUV aimed something at the Cleaver House over there, and bingo whammo bad mojo. We need to search that house."

The group headed back into the Desmond Home. Peter Desmond was making sure his wife Susan was all right, so he quickly aquiesced to a search. The party scored first in the basement. Stephen opened the fusebox, did a double-take. "That's not made for amps and volts."

He drew out a strange, glittering cylinder, a thumb-sized weird mix of crystals and circuitry. "Guesses, thoughts, wild-ass hunches?"

"Psychic booster circuit." They all turned to stare at Jo. "What? While you guys were boning up on demons and first aid, I was working with some of the psychic research guys. That looks like circuitry used to boost psychic energy."

"There's wiring leading from that breaker into the wall ..." Ross tugged at it with the point from the carbon-steel hunting knife he kept under his jacket. "It runs into the walls."

"So wait, what's it boosting -- some ghost's psychic abilities, or one of the members of the house?" asked Stephen.

They debated for a while -- several of them noted that the phenomena had manifested when Susan was alone at first, but then the flying vase/Jerry footage was brought up. As they went upstairs, Andy called the Hoffman Institute and requested a background check on the teacher, Amanda Jernigan.

Stephen saw Jerry sprawled on the coach, strangely exhausted. With a nod to the others, he broke away to see what he could pry from the boy.

Quickly the rest of the group uncovered wires leading along baseboard heaters, near outlets, and a few smaller psychic-boosters in the rest of the house. As they entered Jerry's room, Stephen had finally gotten the boy to a trusting place.

(DM's Note: How often do you get to crack open the Diplomacy table in the DM's Guide? Mock it not in Dark*Matter...)

"So, you think you now what this is all about?" Stephen asked sympathetically.

"I ... I think I do." Jerry looked around to make sure no one could hear him. "I think the stuff's focused on me." With a gulp, he went further. "No, I ... I think I'm making it happen."

In Jerry's room, Ross peeled back the binding on a history book to reveal a wafer of more circuitry. Jo ID'd it as psychic booster material. "But how'd it get in the schoolbook?" asked Andy. But he and the other two Investigators answered simultaneously: "The teacher."

Stephen stepped in. "Jerry's sure he's making this happen --"

"With some help." Ross opened up the bottom of a football trophy, matched the circuitry within to more found in some academic awards. "Jerry said he was forgetting things at school, and that Jernigan woman brought them over. She packed them with some extra loving."

Andy checked on how far the Hoffman Institute had gotten on ID'ing the teacher. Her surface records seemed fine. Ross suddenly thought of using Peter Desmond to run the woman's fingerprints -- after all, they had her prints on all the books she'd brought over.

With a quick bit of charm and bluster, they got Peter Desmond to run the prints. Unfortunately, it would take a few hours to get results, if any. That's when the group hit a new wrinkle. It was time for Jerry to leave for his football game. Peter was going to the game, and Susan and Eliza were staying behind. Susan was "resting" in the bedroom. Resting heavily. Vulnerable family members smelled like trouble.

Jo and Ross convinced Peter Desmond to let them stay behind. With Susan out of sorts, it made sense for someone to watch over her and Eliza in case any more phenomena occurred. Stephen and Andy would take video cameras and go to the football game to get "coverage." The van would stay behind with Ross and Jo.

After synchronizing watches for no other reason than it was so frikkin' cool they went their separate ways.

AT THE HOUSE: Ross and Jo searched the premises again, but found nothing new. The crotchety neighbor lady across the street was Amanda Jernigan's landlord, but other than mentioning the presence of the SUV's -- which she assumed were drug dealers -- she was no help.

AT THE GAME: Stephen and Andy dutifully filmed Jerry running up and down the field. "Human interest stuff," Stephen told the father. As Andy panned around the stands, he zoomed in on Amanda Jernigan, sitting with students. She looked back at him through the lens. She seemed annoyed to see Hoffman Institute people present. Almost alarmed. But in a second she was making chit-chat again and cheering.

Andy kept panning ... stopped. Zoomed. In a blur he was up and moving. Stephen quickly fell into step behind him. "What, what did you see --"

"Remember to bring your gun?" Andy pointed.

Two men. Six-and-a-half feet tall. Black suits, black topcoats, hollowed out thin features with sallow skin. Sunglasses at eight o'clock at night. Fedoras.

"Those would be ..."

"Men-in-f&%$*ing-Black." Andy and Stephen cut left to flank the mysterious strangers when --

"AHHHHHH!" Stephen jumped as Peter Desmond grabbed his shoulder. "Don't DO that!"

Peter Desmond was deadly pale. "You've got to come with me..."

"Little busy here ..." Andy looked up. The Men in Black were in motion. They stood, began to drift off in the crowd.

"No, you don't understand. The fingerprints. Amanda Jernigan --" Desmond looked as if he were about to collapse. "They came back with a positive ID ... they belong to Heidi Rammock! Amanda Jernigan is Jerry's missing biological mother!"

Welverin

First Post
jonrog1 said:
RAW RECRUITS PT. 4
Two men. Six-and-a-half feet tall. Black suits, black topcoats, hollowed out thin features with sallow skin. Sunglasses at eight o'clock at night. Fedoras.

"Those would be ..."

"Men-in-f&%$*ing-Black."
[/B]

Or the Blues Brothers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases