D&D 5E Darksun 3.0

Coroc

Hero
Do you give them different Domains depending on which sorcerer king they work for?

And just a quick Addition on thegreat sword Topic: since there is no reasonablenon Magic material other than steel to make a great sword of, you could just leave it at 2w6 and still be fine :p but thats just me, being a bit pendantic.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I did come up with a method for defiling for 5e which was basically to allow a wizard to access the extra spell slots from arcane recovery at any time by defiling. A 6th level wizard needs that extra fireball right this instant? Defile as a bonus action and then let that fireball fly.

I think for sorcerers, if you were going to allow them and currently, apart from the storm sorcerer the subclasses might not match to well, I could see them turning sorcery points into spell slots for 1 point cheaper if they are willing to defile or, allow them to recharge sorcery points once per short rest by defiling the area around them to gain back their charisma modifier in sorcery points.

Zardnaar

Legend
Do you give them different Domains depending on which sorcerer king they work for?

And just a quick Addition on thegreat sword Topic: since there is no reasonablenon Magic material other than steel to make a great sword of, you could just leave it at 2w6 and still be fine :p but thats just me, being a bit pendantic.

Obsidian Greatsword.

In 2E all the Templar's had the same features and they were more martial than the existing Clerics (better weapons and armor). That is kind of reflected in the war domain. Each Sorcerer King could grant an additional domain I suppose but they were not really strongly tied to a philosophy so its hard to assign them due to a lack of 5E domains (it was easier in 3.5). I'm using some of the 5E domains as placeholders as the elemental domains have not been done yet.

Using 3.5 terms some SK's do stand out a bit.

Elemental clerics get the elemental domains.

Hamanu War, Strength

Nibenay Knowledge, Darkness (Shadow King)

Lalal-Li Puy Plant, Animal

Abalech-Re Chaos, Trickery

Kalak Tyranny, Evil

Gets a bit harder for the SK's of Raam and Balic (Raam War+ something else, Balic no idea). Those domains do not exist in 5E yet (3pp some of them do). so I made do with the 5E PHB.

If dedicated elemental domains are made I suppose you could give the SK's different domains (Hammanu War, Nibenay Knowledge, Abalach Re trickery, Lalali-Puy Nature etc).

The rules can evolve as new things are added a'la SCAG vs PHB, new things should be organic or make sense though and not contradict stuff (artificers making decanters of endless water, artificers in general though).

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I actually really enjoyed the Prism Pentad. 5 great books. They got me more in to Dark Sun than anything else.

Opinions differ I guess.

Anyway Thanks for promoting Dark Sun. It needs the limelight it can get IMO so that WOTC can officially bring it to the masses........SOON!

Rikus for the win

Zardnaar

Legend
I actually really enjoyed the Prism Pentad. 5 great books. They got me more in to Dark Sun than anything else.

Opinions differ I guess.

Anyway Thanks for promoting Dark Sun. It needs the limelight it can get IMO so that WOTC can officially bring it to the masses........SOON!

Rikus for the win

The Prism Pentad books were great to read, I enjoyed them as well. Its the tie in DS products that were not so good. The Lynn Abbey DS novels are even better. That is another reason I focused on the original boxed set, if you like the novels and want to use the metaplot go ahead. Its one thing 4E DS got right going back close to the start (Kalak had died).

Darksun was also a mess towards the end, starting in 1994 finishing in 1996 mostly due to metaplot reasons and the follow up plans were really stupid (Space Halfings, Dregoth becoming a god etc). Its what happens when you let idiots ruin someone else's work (FR would be another example, Krynn as well).

Zardnaar

Legend
Reply to OP.
Pretty cool so far, although personally I would have just turned the Sorcerer into the Psionicist.

Thought about that using the spell points rule for them. Wild Mage= Wilder?

Psionic rules are all I need I think, maybe tweak some things here and there as I forgot the half elf and could tweak the inferior materials (weapons) rule.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I can easily see the Wild Mage sorcerer as a Wilder-type in Dark Sun.

"He's a mutated freak!"
"So what if he's got six fingers on his vestigial third arm and his right eye is noticeably bigger than his left? He's no defiler, so at the very least, when he accidentally Fireballs the village, we can still grow crops in the area."

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I can easily see the Wild Mage sorcerer as a Wilder-type in Dark Sun.

"He's a mutated freak!"
"So what if he's got six fingers on his vestigial third arm and his right eye is noticeably bigger than his left? He's no defiler, so at the very least, when he accidentally Fireballs the village, we can still grow crops in the area."

They still use somatic gestures and stuff so even refluffed and removing that it does have follow on implications.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Given how tough it is to acquire top-notch equipment, an Open Hand Monk WOULD fit in Athas. Quit restricting yourself (and them) to the Zen Oriental stereotype!
You could easily throw one at the PCs as a village guardian or gang enforcer type.
Ki = psionics for most purposes, and in my experience you don't have enough ki points to use them in every fight. So when you do, it's like your mystic training DID just kick in.

Remove ads