• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darksun Teasers

actually, Blade Runner, iirc, was the first film to use computers, to control the camera for the intor sequence which was shot on an extremely long exposure? ;)

Dark Sun does have lots of Dungeons as you note, but not an "Underdark" unless as a DM makes such or WOTC adds it
I'd be happy to see such but of an Athasian flavour...remember, the planet's water IS mostly underground! Aboleths living in vast seas...psionics!! eh?
In my vision of Athas, the events that triggered the SUn to become a red giant caused enormous earthquakes that wrecked the Udnerdark and the illithid civilization there in.
You could have seas pouring into the titanic fissures, drying up an already catastrophically damaged planet.

Most Dark Sun "dungeons" are mostly, thankfully, forts, city encounters and so on. I don't mind "ye traditional dungeon" but not my fave a sa DM (preffer them as a player actually).

SSquirrel

Explorer
actually, Blade Runner, iirc, was the first film to use computers, to control the camera for the intor sequence which was shot on an extremely long exposure? ;)

I can't remember if they had computers controling the cameras or not. My PS3 is busted right now so I can't watch my featurettes and tell ya :( I had specified computers for graphics purposes, which goes to TRON, at least for full screen CGI only. The scene where the MPC is destroying itself was the first fully CGI scene in a movie ever. Everything about the production of TRON is completely nuts, watch the making of videos on the DVD.

Wik

First Post
I'm pretty sure all the shots in Bladerunner were all manually-done. most of those crazy lighting shots were just done by having guys with arc lights behind the set, flashing the lights into a darkened room. And those city-scape shots (I can't remember the actual term they use right now... somethign to do with hell) were done with metal cutouts and elbow grease.

And Ssquirel, I have that set, too. And I love it... I want to frame the cutouts that come with it, but I have yet to get around to doing it. But I have all the stuff on display on my bookshelf. Along with movie postcards for Futurama and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Oh, dear lord, I'm getting revved up about Bladerunner again. I should shut up, now. ;)

Mistwell - I imagine you're right. I haven't read the boxed set in a while. I guess a lot of people (myself included) think of Dark Sun as more of a wilderness adventure/urban adventure setting, and forget that dungeons can be a big part of things, as well.

An "underdark" for Athas would be a deal-breaker for me. Dungeons should be small, in my humble opinion. Though UnderTyr was kind of cool, if a bit silly at times. And Silverblade - I love Aboleth... but if I saw them on Athas, I'd go all nerd ragey.

well in Blade RUnner they DID use a computer to film that fly over shot, because the exposures were so long, the camera had to move extremely slowly, no Human could keep it steady enough and control the exposures, hence, computer ;)

Actually yes, Star Wars (or was it return of the Jedi?) did have first computer generated image, for the Bothan spies Death Star image? But iirc Blade Runner had first computer use to MAKE a film sequence, if see what I mean? :)

Ah, Tron...what awesomness! :) Let's hope Tron2 is not yet another dire Hollwyood rehash :(

Well, my vision of Athas history is totally different, the illithids tried to put out the Sun, it screwed up, went nova, gods stopped that but god FUBARed in doing so...and the Udnerdark is moslty flooded with collosal seas, and thus aboleths would fit my vision, but more...strangely ;)

Aye, Under Tyr was cool, whole city almost below the normal one (sort of like we have under some European cities, see Mary Kings Close in Edinburgh!).
UnderTyr is where pal's character in my current campaign met "raaigs" vengeful spirits of priests long gone, who imbued him with their power, so now, he looks Human, but is a goliath Avenger, out to slay the defilers and sorceror kings!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads