DART asteroid impact

aco175

Legend
By now I just spent 40 minutes watching a tiny dot on TV turn into a large asteroid and have a satellite crash into it. Scientists have developed this test to see if they can divert threat asteroids that may hit the Earth like in the movies. Not sure why I found this so fascinating. It is the first time humans have cause another celestial body to alter orbit.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Wow. Thanks for sharing. As I don't pay attention much to news, I hadn't heard about this - but it's right up my alley. Fun to watch. Thanks again.

Ryujin

Legend
By now I just spent 40 minutes watching a tiny dot on TV turn into a large asteroid and have a satellite crash into it. Scientists have developed this test to see if they can divert threat asteroids that may hit the Earth like in the movies. Not sure why I found this so fascinating. It is the first time humans have cause another celestial body to alter orbit.
I lucked into catching just the last two minutes. It will still be at least 2 weeks before we know if the orbit was actually altered or not, but the idea of essentially hitting another bullet with an even smaller bullet is riveting.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I lucked into catching just the last two minutes. It will still be at least 2 weeks before we know if the orbit was actually altered or not, but the idea of essentially hitting another bullet with an even smaller bullet is riveting.
To be fair, it's a bullet that you can make minor course-corrections on. Still, the area that is a "miss" is A LOT bigger than the area that is a "hit". Impressive stuff.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases