Data map of the RPG Community

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Inspired by Morrus's old hexographer map of the RPG Community (unfortunately lost), I give you a Community data map of many of the forums that we all tend to use.

Follow the link to interact with it.

RPGCommunityTreemapv2.JPG
Go to the visualization

There's a number of sites that I'd love to include if I could find user data: Members, Posts, Threads

I'm sure there's also a number that I have overlooked, so feel free to let me know if you think there is an important site out there that I missed.

Let's try to limit it to sites with decent stats (1000 members, 3000+ threads) and who's primary focus is RPGs -- otherwise we'll all be here a long time :)

Attachments

• RPGCommunityTreemapv1.JPG
    RPGCommunityTreemapv1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Speaking of maps, many RPGers visit the Cartographers' Guild. While I grant you there are other members there than RPGers, like actual cartographers and GIS people, or authors of fantasy novels, the majority are publishers, freelancers, and normal homebrew GMs looking to map their fantasy worlds. The CG has 49,789 total members (954 active members), 26,990 threads and 258,682 posts. Every freelance cartographer in the industry are members, most mapping software developers are members. While it serves the mapping aspects and world design of RPGs, it does not serve rules, game design, nor most other aspects of gaming - so I could understand if the CG would be considered to niche for this community map.

Thondor

Very cool!
Glad you like it. It doesn't have the same pizzaz that your map had, but there are some extra interactive bits which are nice.

Speaking of maps, many RPGers visit the Cartographers' Guild. While I grant you there are other members there than RPGers, like actual cartographers and GIS people, or authors of fantasy novels, the majority are publishers, freelancers, and normal homebrew GMs looking to map their fantasy worlds. The CG has 49,789 total members (954 active members), 26,990 threads and 258,682 posts. Every freelance cartographer in the industry are members, most mapping software developers are members. While it serves the mapping aspects and world design of RPGs, it does not serve rules, game design, nor most other aspects of gaming - so I could understand if the CG would be considered to niche for this community map.

That's a good enough argument for me. Thanks,

Added:
Yog Sothoth
Story Games
Cartegrapher's Guild
UK Roleplayers
GenCon

Thondor

You have Burning Wheel listed as a community site, but it is a publisher site (BWHQ is the site for Luke Crane et al who publish Burning Wheel, Torchbearer and Mouse Guard).

Good catch. I've fixed this.

I've also added a few more "descriptions" that pop up in the mouse-over tooltip. These give someone a hint about what the site is about.

Last edited:

Thondor

Added:
Paizo post count estimate.

Fixes:
Candlekeep post and thread count swapped to correct values.
The Forge dropped as it has been inactive for several years.

Thondor

Happy Jack's RPG Podcast
Users: 1,120
Threads: 4,027

Like this? :)
Exactly! Added.

The Juegos de Rol roleplaying community has:
Members: 1,948
Threads: 6,478

It's a Chilean roleplaying community that's has been around in one way or another for a couple of decades.

Huh, I hadn't thought of adding non-english forums but why not? Added.

Also apparently at some point the functionality of clicking on the site's "tile" and being brought directly to that site broke . . . So I've fixed that :)

Last edited:

Remove ads