Daunton's Dead Shadow (DM:Ukingsken, Judge:????)

covaithe

Explorer
Round 3

Morvannon channels the power of his mysterious benefactor, teleporting next to the frightened girl.

Grakk moves to the wight, ignoring the ineffectual blows of the zombies, which bounce off the stony protrusions in his skin. He strikes an awesome blow on the wight, nearly cutting it in two. A bit of his own blood seeps down his hands from the sword's sharp hilt.

Kamotz's feral heritage keeps trying to knit his body together, but the pit's unholy fluids are tearing it apart much faster, and he barely survives long enough to call on Lauto's mercy for himself. But his god answers, and when he climbs dripping from the pit once again, he looks far better than would be expected.

Vrrsk't stands with a clatter of armor, and charges across the room at the remaining grave drake, bellowing a hymn of challenge as he goes. He fails to push the beast off of Magnus, but he certainly has its attention.

Morvannon casts a spell that consumes the last zombie rotters in a ball of flame, but the pretty girl behind him takes the opportunity to try to plant a blade in his kidney! The swirling shadows around Morvannon trick "her" eye enough to send the blade awry, and as Morvannon stares back in shock, he can see girl's face slip for a moment, showing the smooth gray face of a doppelganger beneath! Almost reflexively, Morvannon curses this new foe.

Magnus concentrates hard, and thrusts the undead drake away in a blast of thunder, and, holding his ball of fire in existence, moves it next to the drake and the huge-mawed creature.

Vixo darts nimbly around the battle field, then lunges forward to strike a sharp blow to the wight's head, dazing it just long enough for him to slip behind it and plunge a broad blade into the base of its neck, cutting the current of necrotic power that kept the creature standing. It falls with a squelching sound.

The doppelganger "girl" tries again to stab Morvannon, with less success than before.

The drake, rotten flesh burning from the flaming sphere's proximity, charges Vrrsk't, but its teeth bounce harmlessly from the paladin's heavy armor.

The animated corpse also takes damage from the fireball, but circles behind Magnus, and, ignoring the dwarf for the moment, conjures a black-clawed shadowy hand that shoves Grakk, sending the warrior tumbling into the ghastly pit. He rolls to his feet, still enraged, but covered with sticky, corrupting fluid.

[sblock=ooc]Reactions: Morvannon teleports to O24.

Grakk moves to N20, provoking two OAs from rotters: one hits, but Grakk resists the damage. He hits the wight for 34 damage, bloodying it, and takes 1 himself from the bloodclaw weapon. All attackers gain +4 to hit Grakk TSNT

Kamotz regens 2. He gets hit by the pit again for 10 necrotic, and takes 5 ongoing necrotic. I wonder if the order of events at the start of your turn is explicitly specified anywhere? Taken in a different order, that could leave Kamotz unconscious in the pit. That would be bad. :eek: Anyway, for now we'll take it in the order listed above. Second wind brings him to 8, and healing word brings him to 20 and not bloodied. He saves against the ongoing necrotic and slowed.

Vrrsk't stands, moves, challenges the grave drake, and spends an AP to bull rush it. He would have to charge the drake to do that, which gives a +1 to the bull rush attempt, but I can't check to see whether that's included or not, because none of your linked rolls appear to include a bull rush attempt. I'll have to stick with missing.

Morvannon drops both rotters with scorching burst. That provokes an OA from the "pretty girl", who turns out to be a doppelganger! Sadly, 17 vs. AC just misses due to concealment. I'm going to assume you curse the doppelganger instead of the wight, since it's closer and you can't legally curse the wight. You've got a move action left, too, which you might want to use. Go ahead and take it retroactively if you want; I'll adjust if needed.

Vixo hits with the wight with dazing strike and again with his AP, killing it.

Magnus hits the drake with thunderwave. It takes 7 damage and is pushed to P7, and bloodied. Magnus is no longer grabbed. He sustains the flaming sphere and moves it to P8.

Maw takes 7 fire damage from the sphere. He moves south of Magnus, then uses Claw of Karalel on Grakk: 24 vs. Fort hits, and Grakk slides three squares west into the pit. He gets a save to fall prone instead: fails. The pit attacks, 26 vs. Fort hits for 5 necrotic and 5 ongoing necrotic and slowed (se both). He'll be subject to another attack from the pit at the start of his turn as well.

Drake 1 takes 8 fire from the sphere. It charges Vrrsk't: 15 vs. AC misses.

The doppelganger moves adjacent to Morvannon if necessary. Feint (minor): 13 vs. Reflex misses. He attacks, 16 vs. AC hits for 5 damage, unless Morvannon manages to get concealment.

Slardazial regens 20 and continues the ritual.

[/sblock]

[sblock=status and initiative]

• Kamotz 20/31 hp, 7/9 surges, regen 2 while bloodied, +2 to damage rolls until unconscious, +2 def tsnt
  • Vrrsk't 22/35 hp +2 temp hp, 9/12 surges
  • Vixo 29/38 hp, 7/9 surges
  • Morvannon 25/32 hp, 6/8 surges
  • Magnus 16/29 hp, 6/8 surges
  • Grakk 15/44 hp, 9/12 surges, bloodhunt rage, bloodied, 5 ong necrotic and slowed (se both)
  • Wight dead
  • Grave Drake 1 38 damage, bloodied, DC from Vrrsk't
  • Grave Drake 2 dead
  • Maw 12 damage
  • Doppelganger unharmed, cursed
  • Rotter 1 dead
  • Rotter 2 dead
  • Rotter 3 dead
  • Rotter 4 dead
  • Rotter 5 dead
  • Rotter 6 dead
  • Rotter 7 dead
  • Rotter 8 dead
  • Slardazial +51 healed

Resources used:
  • Grakk: AP, bloodhunt rage, Stone's Endurance, Avalanche Strike, Bloodclaw weapon
  • Magnus: AP, flaming sphere, Grasping Shadows, second wind
  • Morvannon: AP, Witchfire, scorching burst
  • Kamotz: AP, Beacon of Hope, channel divinity, healing word x1, second wind
  • Vixo: AP, Blinding Barrage, Duelist's dagger, Dazing strike
  • Vrrsk't: AP, Lay on hands x1

[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy stats]
Slardazial HP ??, AC 18, Fort 22, Reflex 18, Will 20.
While the ritual is going: resist 10 all, regen 20, and he can use the following power:
Back Off, Bub: immediate reaction, when an enemy moves into an adjacent square: +8 vs. Fort, and the target is pushed 2 squares.

Pit of Unspeakable Filth
When a creature enters or starts it turn in the filth, it makes an attack: +7 vs Fort, 1d10 necrotic damage, and the target is slowed and takes 5 ongoing necrotic (save ends both)

Zombie Rotter 1 HP, a missed attack never damages them. AC 13, For 13, Ref 9, Will 10.
+6 vs. AC, 5 damage

Grave Drake: 49 HP, AC 19, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
+9 vs. AC, 1d10+3 damage and the target is grabbed

Maw: 44 HP, AC 17, For 14, Ref 15, Will 14
+8 vs. AC, 1d8+2 damage

Chains: 15 HP each, AC 8, Fort 8, Ref 8, Will N/A
Chains have +12 to all defenses against ranged attacks from non-adjacent squares.

[/sblock]

[sblock=map and terrain notes]
crypt04.png

The pit's surface is 5' below ground level. Climbing out takes a DC 10 athletics check.
[/sblock]

Brain

First Post
Vixo spies the flash of a blade and the pretty girl attacking Morvannon, and rushes over to help his friend.

[sblock=actions]
Move: L21,22,23,24,M25,N26
Minor: shift to O26 (flank w/ morvannon)
Standard: Riposte Strike vs Doppleganger w/ flanking (1d20+12=17, 1d4+5+2d8+3=21) hits ac17 for 21dmg and if it hits, activates riposte vs Doppleganger until SNT
[/sblock]

[sblock="Mini stat"]Vixo - Level 3 Kobold Rogue
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 12, Initiative: +5 Senses: Normal
AC: 17, Fortitude: 14, Reflex: 17, Will: 12-- Speed: 6, Size: Small
HP: 29/38, Bloodied 19, Surge Value 9, Surges left 7/9
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Shifty
Deft Strike
Riposte Strike

Dazing Strike
Student of the Sword (Multiclass Fighter)
Sneak in the Attack
Nasty Backswing

Blinding Barrage
Duelist's Dagger Daily Power
[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Grakk, roars in rage as he shrugs off the damaging effects of the ooze. Climbing out of the pit with not much effort and with no one close to attack, he takes his frustrations out on the chain near by him. The chain snaps at the shear power of the blow. "I can break these chains with ease if someone keeps that coward of my back!" Grakk states while pointing to Maw.

[sblock=actions]
ongoing damage 5 hp

save vs on going damage: 1d20= 14
save vs slow: 1d20=17

movement: climb out of pit: Athletics is +11
minor: none
attack: basic attack on chain located at N17: 1d20+9 hits automatically for damage 1d10+11 (raging and bloodied) = 15
[/sblock]

occ: I'll update grakk's statblock later on tonight

RedBeardJim

First Post
[sblock=OOC and retroactive stuff]I should have know it was a trap. Well, *I* had an idea. Morv's a bit more of a sap. *grin* Yeah, curse on the doppleganger, and take a move action from last turn to walk to Q-19. Since the "lady" already took and missed its OA, I should be able to do that safely, which keeps concealment up so the doppleganger's second attack will also miss. Brain, you'll need to adjust your movement stuff accordingly, I'm guessing the doppleganger will move to Q-20 to follow me.[/sblock]

*behind you, idiot!*
*What -- GAH!*
Morvannon scrambles away in shock as the "damsel in distress" attempts to stab him in the back. His eyes flare a brilliant white, searing his image from the mind of the doppleganger as he continues to circle around.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Attack doppleganger with Eyebite. Hits Will 21 for 13 psychic damage, and Morvannon is invisible to the doppleganger until the start of his next turn. This provokes another OA, which misses with an 11.
Move: Walk to U-15, retaining concealment from Shadow Walk
Minor: Cast Warlock's Curse on Maw[/sblock]
[sblock="Mini stat"]Morvannon Rinael - Level 2 Half-Elf Warlock
Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 19, Initiative: +1 Senses: Low-light
AC: 16, Fortitude: 13, Reflex: 15, Will: 16 -- Speed: 6, Size: Medium
HP: 30/32, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 8, Surges left 6/8
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Eldritch Blast
Eyebite
Warlock's Curse (minor)
Misty Step (Warlock Pact Boon)

Witchfire
Scorching Burst (Dilettante power)
Thunderwave (Arcane Initiate feat)
Caiphon's Leap (Utility)

Curse of the Dark Dream[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

Hey everyone! I'm logging in from my new job so I can't really do a real post, but I wanted to let you all know that it would be about two weeks, maybe a little less before I was back. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Later all.

[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: It's Cabana and Oni now. Cabana, I know you were tied up last week; are you back in action now? I'll be NPCing soon if I don't hear from you. For the rest of you, substitute actions for Magnus, Vrrsk't, and Kamotz would be welcome if you think of something.

covaithe

Explorer
Round 4

Morvannon slips into the shadows away from the doppelganger, just evading her thrust. Vixo follows, coming in behind the shapechanger, but just misses himself.

Grakk hauls himself out of the pit, trembling with pain, and destroys one of the chains supporting the central platform. The platform rocks for a moment, but the other seven chains keep it steady enough, for the moment.

Morvannon's quick curse dazzles the doppelganger's eyes for a moment, allowing him to slip away and curse Maw.

Magnus, not under attack for the moment, is able to concentrate on his flaming sphere and bring it to bear against the remaining grave drake. The undead beast withers before the flames, and takes one last bite against Vrrsk't before expiring, which the paladin easily evades.

Kamotz and Vrrsk't move into melee with Maw, but neither can damage the elusive undead.

Maw speaks unfamiliar but chilling words in a hollow voice, and four more zombies claw their way up from the marble floor, as if they were swimming through the solid stone. They quickly surround Kamotz and Vrrsk't, slashing the paladin and grabbing onto him. Kamotz evades.

The doppelganger, suddenly unable to see Morvannon, whirls on Vixo. She thrusts, and Vixo dodges, realizing a fraction of a second too late that it is a feint, and that the real threat is elsewhere. He pays for the inattention with a painful cut, and is momentarily off balance while he backpedals.

Slardazial's hollow voice continues to boom off the walls of the chamber, getting stronger.

[sblock=ooc]Retcon: Morvannon moves away, gaining concealment. The doppelganger follows, but the concealment causes its attack to miss. Morvannon doesn't take the 5 damage.

Vixo moves to flank, but misses the doppelganger.

Grakk takes 5 ongoing necrotic. He's also subject to another attack from the pit: 22 vs. Fort hits for 3 necrotic. He can't fail to climb out of the pit, but he could possibly fail to hit the chain (a 1 is always a miss): nat 3 hits; the chain snaps. Grakk saves against both effects (only one roll needed).

Morvannon uses Eyebite, which provokes an OA: 26 vs. AC hits for 8 damage. I should read to the end of your post before making rolls, eh? OA misses. Eyebite hits. Morvannon moves and curses Maw.

Magnus sustains the flaming sphere, moves it to P9, and has it attack the drake: 20 vs. Reflex hits for 11 damage. That drops it to 0, triggering its death grip attack against Vrrsk't: 11 vs. AC misses, and the drake is really dead.

Kamotz moves to Maw and attacks with Righteous Brand: 13 vs. AC misses.

Vrrsk't moves to flank Maw. Divine challenges him, and uses Holy strike: 15 vs. AC misses.

Maw uses Arise, and four zombie rotters appear adjacent to him. He shifts south.

The rotters attack Vrrsk't and Kamotz, two each: one hits Vrrsk't, but neither hits Kamotz. Vrrsk't takes 5 damage, and, because the rotters are near Maw, Vrrsk't is grabbed by rotter 12. Vrrsk't is now bloodied.

The doppelganger feints against Vixo: 17 vs. Reflex hits; the doppelganger gains CA against Vixo TENT. It attacks: 17 vs. AC hits for 9 damage. It shifts SE.

Slardazial regens 20 and continues the ritual.
[/sblock]

[sblock=status and initiative]

• Kamotz 20/31 hp, 7/9 surges, regen 2 while bloodied, +2 to damage rolls until unconscious, +2 def tsnt
  • Vrrsk't 17/35 hp +2 temp hp, 9/12 surges, grabbed by rotter 12
  • Vixo 20/38 hp, 7/9 surges
  • Morvannon 22/32 hp, 6/8 surges, invisible to doppelganger TSNT
  • Magnus 16/29 hp, 6/8 surges
  • Grakk 7/44 hp, 9/12 surges, bloodhunt rage, bloodied
  • Wight dead
  • Grave Drake 1 dead
  • Grave Drake 2 dead
  • Maw 12 damage, cursed, DC by Vrrsk't
  • Doppelganger 13 damage, cursed, CA vs. Vixo TENT
  • Rotter 1 dead
  • Rotter 2 dead
  • Rotter 3 dead
  • Rotter 4 dead
  • Rotter 5 dead
  • Rotter 6 dead
  • Rotter 7 dead
  • Rotter 8 dead
  • Rotter 9 unharmed
  • Rotter 10 unharmed
  • Rotter 11 unharmed
  • Rotter 12 unharmed
  • Slardazial +71 healed

Resources used:
  • Grakk: AP, bloodhunt rage, Stone's Endurance, Avalanche Strike, Bloodclaw weapon
  • Magnus: AP, flaming sphere, Grasping Shadows, second wind
  • Morvannon: AP, Witchfire, scorching burst
  • Kamotz: AP, Beacon of Hope, channel divinity, healing word x1, second wind
  • Vixo: AP, Blinding Barrage, Duelist's dagger, Dazing strike
  • Vrrsk't: AP, Lay on hands x1
  • Maw: Arise

[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy stats]
Slardazial HP ??, AC 18, Fort 22, Reflex 18, Will 20.
While the ritual is going: resist 10 all, regen 20, and he can use the following power:
Back Off, Bub: immediate reaction, when an enemy moves into an adjacent square: +8 vs. Fort, and the target is pushed 2 squares.

Pit of Unspeakable Filth
When a creature enters or starts it turn in the filth, it makes an attack: +7 vs Fort, 1d10 necrotic damage, and the target is slowed and takes 5 ongoing necrotic (save ends both)

Zombie Rotter 1 HP, a missed attack never damages them. AC 13, For 13, Ref 9, Will 10.
+6 vs. AC, 5 damage

Grave Drake: 49 HP, AC 19, Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 14
+9 vs. AC, 1d10+3 damage and the target is grabbed

Maw: 44 HP, AC 17, For 14, Ref 15, Will 14
+8 vs. AC, 1d8+2 damage

Chains: 15 HP each, AC 8, Fort 8, Ref 8, Will N/A
Chains have +12 to all defenses against ranged attacks from non-adjacent squares.

[/sblock]

[sblock=map and terrain notes]
crypt05.png

The pit's surface is 5' below ground level. Climbing out takes a DC 10 athletics check.
[/sblock]

RedBeardJim

First Post
Morvannon moves to the edge of the pit, recoiling back from the foul ooze contained within. Turning back, he sends a blast of energy towards the shapechanger, then grits his teeth in frustration as it crackles past the foe's ear.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Walk to Q-14, retaining concealment from Shadow Walk
Standard: Attack doppelganger with Eldritch Blast, missing (I presume) with a 13.
Minor: Cast Warlock's Curse on Slardaziel.

OOC: I'll come up with a set of actions for Magnus, if others don't mind.[/sblock]
[sblock="Mini stat"]Morvannon Rinael - Level 2 Half-Elf Warlock
Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 19, Initiative: +1 Senses: Low-light
AC: 16, Fortitude: 13, Reflex: 15, Will: 16 -- Speed: 6, Size: Medium
HP: 30/32, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 8, Surges left 6/8
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Eldritch Blast
Eyebite
Warlock's Curse (minor)
Misty Step (Warlock Pact Boon)

Witchfire
Scorching Burst (Dilettante power)
Thunderwave (Arcane Initiate feat)
Caiphon's Leap (Utility)

Curse of the Dark Dream[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Grakk, ignoring the pain of his wounds, moves to the next chain. With a overhead chop with his massive sword, another chain breaks!

[sblock=actions]
minor: none
movement: move to k19
action: basic attack: automatic hit vs AC on chains for 1d10+11 = 18 breaking another chain.

[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
basic attack: automatic hit vs AC on chains

ooc: Please do roll this attack; a natural 1 is still a miss. Also, for anyone, it sounds like Cabana is still tied up with Real Life. Substitute actions for Kamotz and Vrrsk't would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Remove ads