D&D General Dave Arneson: Is He Underrated, or Overrated?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Normally I agree, an idea is a dime a dozen. Execution is everything.

Sometimes though there truly are unique mind bending ideas. I think the synthesis Dave did is one of those.

After that? I do think he was treated badly and could have done more, could have been great paired with a writer and editor and game developer.

I do agree that Gary deserves his credit too. Recognizing and executing on the idea is no small feat.

Finally though I think that they also both get too much credit. D&D turns out to be bigger than both of them and I do think they were both lucky too.
I think everyone involved could have been treated better, and could have behaved better.

Both Arneson and Gygax in their own way did a lot to dig their own graves.

aia_2

Custom title
Read the history of the game. Arneson created Blackmoor. Gygax played in a game of it. Gygax asked Arneson for his notes. Arneson wrote it all out and sent those to Gygax. Gygax took those notes, changed them, then published them. Arneson was famously unhappy with the changes Gygax made without consulting Arneson. So even your first line is ahistorical.

Sorry, why do you say i am not sticking to history? You rephrased what i wrote...

Remove ads