• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

David Noonan on D&D Complexity

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
The net effect of a pile of low level buffs can be adequately emulated by a flat across the board increase in stats or something similar. Then the DM only has to juggle the higher level abilities.

That is how I would do it if I were DMing a powerful dragon.

If you insist on giving your Dragon things like Mirror Image and Blur that will annoy the bejesus out of particular PCs, you are really begging for a Dispel Magic war. YMMV.

Psion

Adventurer
Derren said:
After reading this I have the impression that either I am pretty smart or a lot of people are extremly lazy. I mean, iterative attack progression and grapple rules are hard to learn?
(...)
I really hope that David has nothing to do with the 4th Edition, because I really dislike his dumbed down D&D.

I agree with you on the general gist. But I happen to disagree about iterative attacks. I think grapple is really not as bad as people make out.

I think it's rude to call people "stupid or lazy" for not "getting" iterative attacks. I do think that some people just don't organize numbers as well as others, and at higher level, I see it as one of the most authentic and universal problems bogging down the game. I work around this, but I think if there was a simpler solution, I'd prefer it.

ruleslawyer

Ridley's Cohort said:
The net effect of a pile of low level buffs can be adequately emulated by a flat across the board increase in stats or something similar. Then the DM only has to juggle the higher level abilities.

That is how I would do it if I were DMing a powerful dragon.

If you insist on giving your Dragon things like Mirror Image and Blur that will annoy the bejesus out of particular PCs, you are really begging for a Dispel Magic war. YMMV.
I agree with that, but this is why I'd rather get rid of the "casts like an x-level sorcerer" ability in favor of something more streamlined.

Remove ads