DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, Issue #1

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
This thread is for in-charcater posts for the Mutants and Materminds system game, Days of Future Past.

In Character Threads can be found here:
Issue #2

www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=

Issue #3
www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2581317#post2581317

Out of Character posts can be made here:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1488653#post1488653

The NEW OOC Thread can be found here:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1957362#post1957362

The Character Roster is found here:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1520683#post1520683

Hope you enjoy the game!

Nuke

Last edited:

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Monday September 30, 2019, 7:51 a.m.
The front walk and driveway of Whitmyer High School, Smalltown, Ohio.

Teenage students covered the school grounds enjoying the warm Fall morning and trying to make it last before the first bell rang. The children’s spirits were high despite this being the beginning of their school week. There was an exception to this. There was a group of students who woke up this morning knowing they would be the brunt of every joke and criticism of their peers. It is an unavoidable fact of life they have no choice but to accept. However, they were teenagers and by nature they must constantly learn to adapt to the cruel world they live in. As these students arrived for school they were pointed at and laughed at. But, so was the source of their humiliation, the scoreboard across the street at the football field, displaying their overwhelming defeat by the Birkey Hills Panthers.

Inside the glass covered, front entrance to the school, at the top of the stairs overlooking the arriving students and the scoreboard across the street, stood Coach Butch Shelton. No emotion crossed his face as he staired out across the school grounds. At first glance he looked like an imposing figure standing almost 6' tall, his well built frame obvious from his form-fitting t-shirt and sweat pants and his large arms crossed over his broad chest. His face was rugged looking with dark eyes that squinted into the rising sun. His close-cropped salt and pepper flattop was hidden by his favorite, well-worn baseball hat. He looked very intimidating. His students knew better. Teaching History, Gym and Football, Coach Shelton had a kind smile and encouraging word for anyone that made an effort. Still, the members of the football team were unsure if they should approach him and most avoided eye contact as they entered the school. Coach Shelton did not turn to look at them as he spoke. His voice was gravely with a soft hint of a southern accent. “My office at study hall, boys. I have the tape of Fridays game and we will learn from it.”

“Yes sir.”
“Yes Coach, ” they responded.

One of the players stopped after passing the coach and spoke up. “Why did ya leave the scoreboard up there? It’s embarrassing.” Coach Shelton continued to look straight out the windows but he was looking past that now, at another place, another time. “Really? That score is staying up there because you earned that score. And it is going to stay up there until you earn a better one this weekend.” That got everyone in the halls cheering and yelling as the continued to class.

The traffic in the halls began to thin as 8:05 grew closer and Coach Shelton was just getting ready to head towards his office when he heard someone yelling his name from down the hall. “Coach Shelton! Cooaaach Shelton!” That was no student. That voice was far to shrill to belong to one of the students. That was the voice of Principal Harrington. That was the voice that finally made the Coach close his eyes and slowly shake his head, wishing he could be somewhere else. He turned to face Principal Harrington and was surprised to see 3 other men with him. These three men all wore jet black suits and sunglasses. Seemed that look never went out of style.

“Coach Shelton, I wanted to let you know that the gymnasium will not be available today. The government has sent these gentlemen to conduct the annual gen-scan on the students and they will be setting up in your gym. But judging by the disaster our football team brought us this weekend, it doesn’t seem like that should be much of an inconvenience.”

“The gen-scan!” Coach Shelton realized he was yelling and quickly dropped his tone. They were aware of the nature of the scanning, as teachers. The general public was not aware. It was played off as a safeguard for the students, something that checked for sickness or disease like a high-tech physical. It seemed very odd that people bought that story but this was all conducted by the Federal Health Department and who was going to question the government. Especially these days. “The gen-scan is conducted after winter! It’s a proven fact that it’s 21% more successful in Spring than any other time of year!”

“Trust us, there is a reason for this,” said the head Federal agent. He had short, dark brown hiar and was otherwise rather bland looking except for the short, random scars that appeared across his face. He removed his sunglasses with one hand and extended his other in a handshake. “We are constantly looking for ways to improve the children’s future. We have had great success with your school in the past, almost no...illness... has ever been detected here. That is something that requires closer attention by our department. I am sure you can understand. You should be honored that we are here.”

“Oh, we are very honored! Aren’t we Coach Shelton?” Principal Harrington made it obvious the last part was not a question but an instruction for the Coach. Reluctantly, Coach Shelton returned the man’s gesture and shook his hand. “Yes, I’m glad we can help each other.”

“Wonderful!” yelled Principal Harrington. “Now if you would all follow me, I will lead us to the gym where you can unload your equipment and Coach Shelton will provide you with anything you need.” He continued to talk to the group all the way to the gym, oblivious to the tenseness between Coach Shelton and the government agents.

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Intro #1: Andrew Ward

"Hey, Ward!"

Andrew Ward was busy talking to Catherine Kent and all of her cheerleader friends when he was brought back to reality by his name being called out. He had arrived at school early with Catherine to make the social rounds and hang out before class. Andrew took the opportunity to try and convince the 4 cute girls gathered around, that the game Friday night was not at all his fault. He was doing a pretty good job, practically reenacting the game right there in the school hallway. He was getting into it, the rush of the game coming back to him, and the attention and bright smiles didn't hurt either. So, he was not happy to be pulled out of his display by a couple of his teammates coming to give him a hard time and try and steal all the attention he had built up for himself.

"Dude, you shoulda seen the Coach when we came in. He was so p!$$ed!" Jack Rapier did not even wait for Andrew to turn and face him.

"Oh yeah Ward, you shoulda seen him. He wouldn't even look at us. He is gonna kill us at practice this week and he says we gotta go over tapes at study hall. You know those things make me sleepy." Bobby Holder always had that half-asleep, puppy dog look going on. It really worked for him when he was whining about something.

"Man, you gotta talk to him. He loves you, you gotta go see him and get him to chill out on us. Really." Jack was doing everything he could to let Andrew know just how serious he was.

While the boys all talked about getting out of extra laps the girls who had gathered around became quickly bored. And Catherine was not happy at all. "Andrew, aren't you going to walk me to class? It's almost time." She did not put everything she had into convincing him that she was the most important thing in his life. Either she was too mad, it was too early or he was already supposed to know.

Jack was getting impatient. he didn't seem to understand why Andrew wasn't chasing the Coach down and changing his mind that very minute. "Dude, I think he thinks you're like him when he went to school here. You can so use that. C'mon, man."

Jack, Bobby and Catherine all continued to plead for Andrew's time.

Last edited:

Kyle whistled lightly while he glanced out from behind the bleachers, his pda humming along lightly while a nest of jury rigged wired mated his handheld with the much older school system and pulled up the coaches network folder. The password was easy enough, his total yards in high school and the year he got most valuable player in college. Sometimes folks just need to leave nostalgia out of thier decisions, or at least leave the webcam off while typing outloud.

A quick touch of the stylus and coach's vid of the game would be replaced with something more interesting to the team. The guys did a good game, not their fault the other team was just that much better. And he was quite sure that they would like the 'training videos' he'd picked out much better than coachs. With a quick practiced hand he pulled the wireless data tap off the server trunk and tucked it back in his bag and slipped out through the bathroom.

(OOC: using his gadget power to create a computer link +4 to help him swap the coachs compy of the game for something the team jocks would like more. :p Feel free to make Kyle sweat for my goof. :eek: )

Last edited:

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Intro #2: Eleyna Robertson, Lorenzo Reynolds, Gabriel Adams

The student parking lot in back of the school was filling up, not just with cars but with a large number of students. It had become a custom that as soon as you were old enough to drive and get a car you were in charge of car-pooling your friends to school each day. A few younger students could be found in the growing crowd but mostly the older kids hung out here. It was a place they felt they deserved. It was a pretty big social scene, at least as far as could be considered for the half an hour before school started.

Lorenzo Reynolds was the first to notice that Chris Weaver had a new set of wheels. Chris came pulling in at the last minute just as most of the kids were heading in for class. Not the grand entrance he had hoped for, but his travel time would need a bit of polishing up. Zack Hawkins and Gabe Adams both climbed out of the sporty, silver coupe and Lorenzo jogged over to check it out. He didn’t care if there was a crowd or not he was going to be one of the first to see it.

As Gabe was sharing in the pride of his friends new ride he noticed Eleyna Robertson walking across the parking lot. Eleyna had a nice car she had always used to cart all of her friends around to different events. Since her time off of school and her change in attitude she didn’t carry as many friends around and didn’t bother to park in the parking lot to socialize. No, for the past few weeks Eleyna had taken to parking on the road in back of the school and walking in as the crowd died down. As she made her way towards the building she looked over and saw Zo, Gabe, Zack and Chris all getting excited over the flashy silver car.

Last edited:

Synchronicity

First Post
Gabriel 'Gabe' Adams, HP 2/2

(italics are thoughts, Blue text is speech)

As he stands by the car with his friends, it doesn't take a genius to realise something is on Gabe's mind. He looks tired and anxious, although he's covering it with a veneer of friendliness. 'I think whatever's happening to me's getting worse..I mean, after what happened this morning...' Gabe remembers early that morning, when he was woken by the sounds of the local early morning radio show. Problem was, Gabe didn't own a radio; the program was coming directly into his head! It took him long enough to figure out how to tune it out that he had got up feeling more tired than when he went to bed. 'What am I going to do? I didn't ask to have this happen to me!' Almost unconsciously, one of Gabe's hands slips into his shirt, clutching his pendant for reassurance.

'Uh-oh, Zack's looking at me funny. Gotta act normal.'
Casting around for a distraction, Gabe alights on the newcomer to the small group of kids.
"Oh, uh, hi Lorenzo! Yeah, it's a cool car, huh? I, uh, I should be getting a car sort of soon too, but, you know..."
With a weak smile, Gabe trails off and ducks his head, feeing nervous talking to the popular Lorenzo. He blinks a few times, trying to get rid of the burning sensation in his eyes that tells him of his lack of sleep. Trying to avoid eye contact with Lorenzo, Gabe's gaze darts off to the side to see.. 'Eleyna! So she parks outside the school, huh? Wondered why I'd not seen her in the crowd recently. Maybe I should..nah, I'd better leave her alone. I'm sure she's going to meet up with her friends. I wish I knew what was up with her, though.'

'Ah, Zack's glancing at me again. Gotta stop worrying, act normal.'
Trying to hide his internal anxieties, Gabe suits actions to words..well, thoughts, and returns to the conversation, although he says little. He's quite shy around the really popular people anyway, so his relative lack of input and rather weak attempts at smiles don't seem as strange as they might; unless you were actively looking for a problem with Gabe, you probably wouldn't notice much out of the ordinary.

(OOC: Hope you don't mind my little digression to do with Gabe's powers. I figure the Hearing Super feats may be some of the hardest to get to grips with, hence the small tangent. Let's hope no-one blows a dog whistle near Gabe before he discovers his Ultra-Hearing..that could hurt!)

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Lorenzo Reynolds HPs: 2

Lorenzo had already made his rounds, his classes were about to start any minute. ’Well, the question is, should I blow off class today or not, Zo thought. ’I really should decide these things before everyone heads in for class . . . especially Stephanie.’

Lorenzo sighed and thought of his classes. He had nothing critical that he remembered, though he did want to hang with his friends at school. He had just decided to go into the school when he saw a silver coupe enter the parking lot. ’Maybe I can be late to class . . . , Lorenzo considered as he made his way through the lot.

“Nice, very nice . . . finally got the ‘rents to come through, huh?” Lorenzo said warmly to Chris. He liked Chris and his friends, Zack and Gabe. “Gabe, Zack . . . what’s up?”

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Intro #3: Kyle Graham

Kyle finished his swap of the vids in the coaches files and tucked all the wires and connections back where they belonged. No doubt the team would get a lot more out of watching the a vid of the cheerleaders fund raiser, car wash then last weeks game. Kyle easily made it out from behind the bleachers and started around the corner for the bathroom when he heard Coach Shelton in the gym behind him. Wow, did he sound mad. Kyle had never heard him use language like that before. Curiosity of who the coach was going off on overtook him and he quickly turned to look back around the corner. As he did so the lights came on flooding the gymnasium and turning it instantly into day. He turned back for the bathroom and immediately ran into what felt like a wall.

"Watch where you're going kid!" The voice was deep and loud. When Kyle looked up he saw why, the guy it belonged to was huge! Kyle had never seen the guy before and did not recognize the dark blue jump suit he was wearing. Quickly moving to get past the guy Kyle was surprised to see two more men, dressed in the same jump suits, carrying large crates of equipment into the gym. Who are these guys?

Without warning there was a strong hand on Kyle's shoulder and he heard an all too familiar voice say, "Early to class today, Mr. Graham?" Kyle turned to face Coach Shelton. It was obvious the coach was not in a good mood. It couldn't be the vid swap, there was no way he could know about that yet. Had to be something to do with all these guys bringing equipment into the gym. And it looked like some pretty sweet tech, too! "I'll take care of him," Coach Shelton said to some ugly guy in a suit.

Coach Shelton walked Kyle into the bathroom and released his grip on his shoulder. "Listen to me good, Mr. Graham. Today is not the day for your antics. There is a time and a place for them and today this building is not one of them." Coach Shelton stopped talking and looked at Kyle with widening eyes. After a moment he continued. "Actually Kyle, today would be a good day to ditch. If you have somewhere to hang today, why don't you check it out." With that, Coach Shelton walked back out into the gym.

Kyle Graham, HP: 2/2

Kyle finished his swap of the vids in the coaches files and tucked all the wires and connections back where they belonged. No doubt the team would get a lot more out of watching the a vid of the cheerleaders fund raiser, car wash then last weeks game. Kyle easily made it out from behind the bleachers and started around the corner for the bathroom when he heard Coach Shelton in the gym behind him. Wow, did he sound mad. Kyle had never heard him use language like that before. Curiosity of who the coach was going off on overtook him and he quickly turned to look back around the corner. As he did so the lights came on flooding the gymnasium and turning it instantly into day. He turned back for the bathroom and immediately ran into what felt like a wall.

"Watch where you're going kid!" The voice was deep and loud. When Kyle looked up he saw why, the guy it belonged to was huge! Kyle had never seen the guy before and did not recognize the dark blue jump suit he was wearing. Quickly moving to get past the guy Kyle was surprised to see two more men, dressed in the same jump suits, carrying large crates of equipment into the gym. Who are these guys?

Without warning there was a strong hand on Kyle's shoulder and he heard an all too familiar voice say, "Early to class today, Mr. Graham?" Kyle turned to face Coach Shelton. It was obvious the coach was not in a good mood. It couldn't be the vid swap, there was no way he could know about that yet. Had to be something to do with all these guys bringing equipment into the gym. And it looked like some pretty sweet tech, too! "I'll take care of him," Coach Shelton said to some ugly guy in a suit.

Kyle jumped a bit at the arrival of the suits and Coach Shelton. As soon as the coach took him from the suit, his stomach twisted, Great another week of detention for nothing. He thought as the coach walked him towards the door.

Coach Shelton walked Kyle into the bathroom and released his grip on his shoulder. "Listen to me good, Mr. Graham. Today is not the day for your antics. There is a time and a place for them and today this building is not one of them." Coach Shelton stopped talking and looked at Kyle with widening eyes. After a moment he continued. "Actually Kyle, today would be a good day to ditch. If you have somewhere to hang today, why don't you check it out." With that, Coach Shelton walked back out into the gym.

Iron displine Shelton tells me to SKIP? What the frig is goin on. Kyle thinks to himself as he turns on a sink and slaps some water on his face, and looks at the mirror, something in his gut telling him that this is something he should be clued into. That part of him that tells him when and where to prank, what not to get into and what wasn't safe to pursue was vibrating like a taunt wire. Part of him (the part that sided with his common sense gland) told him to do as the coach said and bail on school, not like he wasn't due for a skip day. The other part (the one that kept his jokes to things that weren't too bad or to 'avenge' others) told him that this was something he needed to check out.

"Well Kyle.. " he says to the reflection in the mirror. "Maybe we can do a bit of both." he says as he grabs his bag and heads for his locker, already trying to figure out how he was going to cooble another downlink into the principal's email account that would let him hack it from out in town. Unlike the coach, the principal had learned long ago how to do a better measure of computer safety. It was never as easy to hack him as it was the coach.

(italics is thoughts, yellow is goutes.. something glitched and didn't wnat to retype it all)

Synchronicity

First Post
Gabriel 'Gabe' Adams, HP 2/2

Keia said:
“Nice, very nice . . . finally got the ‘rents to come through, huh?” Lorenzo said warmly to Chris. He liked Chris and his friends, Zack and Gabe. “Gabe, Zack . . . what’s up?”

As Lorenzo greets the three, Gabe seems to jerk out of his reverie, although he then jerks again as he realises who's talking to him.
Synchronicity said:
"Oh, uh, hi Lorenzo! Yeah, it's a cool car, huh? I, uh, I should be getting a car sort of soon too, but, you know..."

Gabe ducks his head, letting his hair mask his face, as his friends take up the conversation. Then he looks up again, rubbing his face and looking tired. His eyes flinch away from Lorenzo's gaze, and seem to alight on something across the parking lot. Another frown creases his face before he seems to realise where he is and return to the task at hand. He jumps back into the flow of the conversation, occasionally chiming in with affirmatives like

"Yeah, this year's model. As if Chris needed help to be more of a show-off..hey, get off me, you nut!" and

"Like Zack said, that place is kind of overrated."

Yet his laughter seems short and worried, and his smiles are brief. Throughout the conversation, his eyes keep flicking away to whatever he was looking at earlier, and his input is minimal, reserved to confirming his friends statements and boasts.

Last edited:

Remove ads