• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[DCC RPG] I have the pdf of the finished rules and I’m glad I do

[DCC RPG] I have the pdf of the finished rules and I’m glad I do

The first eleven pages are wonderful art and grapics. There are three 2-page art pieces in that first eleven pages alone.

I playtested the beta version and I have skimmed the early release of the pdf that was sent to those of us who pre-ordered Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG. If you played the beta and liked it then you will love the full version.

The big difference between DCC RPG and modern D20 fantasy is that the judge is highly encouraged to make monsters and magic items unique in (nearly) every instance. While a GM could attempt this with modern D20 fantasy, the fact is that many modern D20 fantasy systems require a bit more work on the part of the GM to create new rules. DCC RPG has both easier and fewer rules. The burden on the GM is not on math and following a formula but on creating a unique idea and implementing it.

Just a heads up, with the exception of some great magic sword rules, the DCC RPG doesn't have a list of magic items. It has guidelines and advice and a list of dangers but that is it. I was surprised by this but in the end I don't have a problem with it.

With the plethora of free ideas out on the internet and the continuing support of DCC RPG in the form of modules, even a novice judge will have plenty of ideas and concepts to work with in my opinion. An experienced judge can make things up and borrow ideas; a novice judge can borrow ideas and use Goodman Games modules to learn the ropes. The pdf includes two adventures so even a brand new judge is ready to go with just the one rulebook.

The monsters are also just a sampling, not a complete list of the standard fantasy fare. Similar to what the beta had. Again, I don't have a problem finding monsters and making them unique using the simple advice provided.

DCC RPG wholly endorses 3rd party products as well, and lists the companies that currently produce DCC RPG supported products. DCC RPG also lists playtesters, supporting hobby stores, and even a couple of gaming conventions.

The book also has a sprinkling of roleplaying bits scattered throughout. Like the beta it has sample patrons for example. It also includes several sample gods and sample examples of thieves guilds, knightly orders etc.

I also like the simple XP system.

Treebore

First Post
I'm not afraid to admit it - I just bought it for the pictures. :)

You know I bought this pretty much just "because", and since I still love looking at my books with their pre 2E artwork, I can say, after going through the PDF last night and only looking at the artwork, I am glad I bought this just for the copious amount of 1E style artwork in this book. If I end up using the system too it will just be icing on the cake.

hemera

Explorer
Do you have a link to somewhere where I might find more information on this? A new modern system intrigues me since Wizards seems to steadfastly ignore the fact they ever made d20 modern. (come on 5e modern!) A change up of systems would be good. As I swear, if we change back to playing Rifts I'll just bang my head against a table instead. :p

dm4hire

Explorer
Been looking over my PDF too and love what I'm seeing so far. Never been a fan of races as class but if the level cap is 10, which I can't find anything that says differently so far, I think I can live with that. I have to agree the art is fantastic in giving the old school feel to it.

denzoner

Explorer
It's sure nice to see others liking what they've seen.

I've been running DCC RPG continuously since the Beta release, and just finished converting the campaign over to the final Core rules last week. It didn't take much. If you loved the Beta, you'll love the final Core rules. If you love the aesthetics of Old-school D&D, and you like a more streamlined and rules-lite D&D, this might be your game. If you like gritty fantasy, more of the likes of Sword & Sorcery than High Fantasy, this is definitely the game for you. It's also compatible with any pre-4e version of D&D and all the retro-clones based on it. I've ran AD&D, 0D&D, LL and S&W modules (adventures) with it and did all the "stat" conversions on the fly.

I seriously love this game, and I haven't been this excited about an RPG since I first started playing in 1979. The cover and end-papers are gorgeous, the interior BW illustrations are amazing. They're not "just like" AD&D or B/X D&D, this game actually includes a bunch of originals artists from that era, like Erol Otus, Diesel, Dee, Roslof, Easley and Jim Holloway. They're the real deal folks.

Disclaimer: I'm now also one of the 3rd Party Publishers, and I decided to publish stuff for the game only a couple months ago. Didn't take much, because after playing it for a few months, I decided that this was the "D&D" I wanted to play. It also helps that this game is extremely hack friendly. Coming up with house rules, new classes and such is real easy and encouraged. This game can set the foundation for home-brewed house-ruled games really well. The fact it's compatible with any OSR materials? Endless play possibilities.

My zine is humble, but enthusiastic. Check it out: Crawl! fanzine.

DMKastmaria

First Post
I don't expect it'll replace AD&D or S&W as my go to versions, but I am looking forward to running DCC.

I would have bought it for the Old School Art alone, though. Its lavishly illustrated and if you like Peter Mullen, Jeff Easley, Jim Holloway, Erol Otus, Stefan Poag, Russ Nicholson, etc., etc., you'll really dig it!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads