• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[DCC RPG] I have the pdf of the finished rules and I’m glad I do

Noumenon

First Post
Got it if you pre-ordered by April 1. If you look up top, you'll see the link to the online store.

I don't feel bad for not figuring that out -- it's all-but-invisible among the other tiny identical links and everyone knows web surfers don't look at menus. Even once I hit the page I clicked the wrong button because it's just small images and you have to guess at the title.

I would supply a link to help other people find and buy it, but it's a button that creates a popup using code so I can't do that either. I think their web store is costing them sales.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

I am *not* a fan of 3e. At all. Neither all any of my players (they used to be, but have sense realized...well, another thread...).

I checked out the Beta rules. *shrug* Still not my thing, but not bad.

I heard about who was doing the art. *ears perk up* Really? Hmmm...perhaps a second glance...

I got the latest Beta. *Huh...not bad, really...* I definitly like the max-level-10 aspect. And the fact you roll your starting 0-level 'class' randomly...and get a *single* piece of equipment, like a shovel or a 100' rope. Cool. [evil-DM mind starts working...]

I re-read the beta every few weeks. Well, more like "skimmed through" it. Each time I found something I liked. That was a pretty good sign.

I got the offer to pre-buy. *shrug* Sure, what the hell. If I can fork over $110 for a hardback-delux copy of Dark Dungeons I can afford a couple bucks for this thing.

Just got the email today to DL the final Core Rules PDF. Downloaded...and...

Wow! O_O I am *totally* impressed with this thing. The art work alone is worth the price of admition, but the very-distinct "here are some rules and guidelines that you can use to create your own fantasy campaign" (re: use your own freaking brain and imagination fer cryin' out loud!) is prevelant on pretty much every page. I get the distinct impression that this game is built around the premiss that the players of the game are not allowed to be 'rules-morons'; that is, if you play dumb, you *will* die...repeatedly. A player can't simply "find the ultimate 'build' character" and be more or less assured they will survive simply due to rules-limberger...like a somewhat recent adventure "Path" based game that keeps pumping out supplemtne after supplement, turning the players into uber-havaarti-rules "Finder" types. (see what I did there?... ;) ).

If Goodman Games can keep this whole "you're an *adventurer*!...you're *not* a 'hero'...!" mentality through their assumed future modules, settings, worlds, etc...I'll most definitly be using DCCRPG as my "d20" rules set.

Two thumbs up...waaaaay up!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Doug McCrae

Legend
This sounds very interesting. To me it has an OD&D, or even pre-OD&D - 'roleplaying using Chainmail plus the fantasy supplement' - vibe. I like the idea that most of the monsters and magic items are created by the GM. This Do It Yourself approach, in which most of the rules are written by the GM and players, as and when required, is the way I've been thinking about rpgs lately.

Treebore

First Post
This sounds very interesting. To me it has an OD&D, or even pre-OD&D - 'roleplaying using Chainmail plus the fantasy supplement' - vibe. I like the idea that most of the monsters and magic items are created by the GM. This Do It Yourself approach, in which most of the rules are written by the GM and players, as and when required, is the way I've been thinking about rpgs lately.

I can definitely agree on the vibe, and the artwork certainly helps. Since I have also been primarily taking RPG's and modifying them to be as precisely what I want them to be for the last 5 years the "do it yourself" approach certainly resonates strongly with me as well.

Only problem I am seeing is with D&D style games I much prefer simple over complex, and this looks like it may be too "fiddly" for me. So once I get the print book in May I will start looking into what I can trim off and see how simple I can get it. For some reason I can't do that off of PDF's. Seems that I always miss things.

EvilDwarf

Explorer
Hmmmm...color me dumb, but it looks like you can't just order the PDF?

I would totally buy the PDF (I've gone looking for it), but having not been a playtester, and with DND 5E/Next playtesting coming in the foreseeable future, I'm not plunking down $40 on another hardback I'm not sure about.

I'd for sure take a shot at the (reduced cost and watermarked, etc) PDF--can you order that from someplace?

goodmangames

First Post
Hmmmm...color me dumb, but it looks like you can't just order the PDF?

I would totally buy the PDF (I've gone looking for it), but having not been a playtester, and with DND 5E/Next playtesting coming in the foreseeable future, I'm not plunking down $40 on another hardback I'm not sure about.

I'd for sure take a shot at the (reduced cost and watermarked, etc) PDF--can you order that from someplace?

Thanks for your interest, everyone. DCC RPG will be available for purchase in PDF form at the same time it is available for sale in retail stores. Based on the printer's latest estimates that is tracking to early-to-mid May. In the meantime, I sincerely appreciate the "sight-unseen" support shown by the many customers who took advantage of our pre-order offer, and I hope they enjoy their "advance showing" of the early-PDF pre-order bonus they've earned! :)

EvilDwarf

Explorer
Wow--thanks for the info! Sorry if my "plunking down" sounded snarky: didn't mean to imply the game was not Quality!

Looking forward to hearing more about it, and definitely plan on snagging the PDF!

Thanks for the reply!

Joseph posting here is normal of the quick and helpful responses he provides about DCC. He changed the thief skills from percentage to D20 rolls during the beta test along with a whole host of other changes to the game. All these changes even though he specifically wrote DCC because it was the game he wanted to play. So DCC really does reflect a large D&D community reflecting and commenting on Joseph's vision and his willingness to take suggestions on his final work. Worked out pretty well too!

The art is great, don't get me wrong. But bringing back the mystery is a great approach to an rpg. And putting danger in magic while at the same time giving the thief and warrior new toys to play with (along with the dwarf and halfliing)? That is a real modernizing of D20 fantasy. The quadratic wizard linear warrior dilemma has been removed from DCC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads