• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI - vMinis are Extra?

Like Asmor, I too was under the impression that tokens would be available to use for free. If you wanted 3D rendered digital minis then it costs extra. I think it is a pretty sucky thing to do but that is the choice WotC have made.

Personally I think there will be a rethink on this issue once people realise that they have to pay extra to use the minis like they saw used in the demos. I can see a lot of complaints being made.

Olaf the Stout

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Wisdom Penalty said:
I agree - that type of costing is the worst possible move/ploy WotC could make. There should be one cost to enter the park, not a cost-per-ride in addition to the gate cost. Embarassingly stupid.

Scott Rouse, if you're listening, I'm generally pro-everything you guys do, but this would be an incredibly stupid move. If WoW can offer updated content under a standard subscription price, why can't WotC do the same when we're only talking a couple friggin' image files.

If DDi - which, I might add, has yet to prove anything to anyone - becomes a nickel and dime farce, count me out.

Just to be clear: stupid. Stupid. And yes, stupid.
This, only moreso.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
How is this different than Magic Online? People have been paying WotC for virtual objects since 2002. Now the amusing bit is going to be when it comes out that the models match the existing mini sets, and when you pay for the virtual minis, you're actually paying for virtual randomized minis. Now I don't mind the randomization with the real minis that much, but paying extra for randomized Vminis is really a stretch for me.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Darrin Drader said:
How is this different than Magic Online? People have been paying WotC for virtual objects since 2002. Now the amusing bit is going to be when it comes out that the models match the existing mini sets, and when you pay for the virtual minis, you're actually paying for virtual randomized minis. Now I don't mind the randomization with the real minis that much, but paying extra for randomized Vminis is really a stretch for me.

Well, to be fair, they say they are not going to randomize the vMinis.

Still, I refer to my previous post.

Wis

BooleanFlag

First Post
I seriously doubt they will be able to convince people to buy virtual minis. Not people with a brain anyway. Or, you know, people who understand the value of money (work for a living).

I would pay $10 a month easy if the content they are putting out the last few weeks on Dungeon/Dragon are an indication of quality going forward.

I would easily pay $5 a month for the ability to play D&D over the internet with people. I wouldn't pay more for this because unlike games like WoW, etc, the amount of ongoing support and content is minimal vs. something like a virtual tabletop withvoice support. I realize it's not exactly a simple thing to build, but really once it's built, it's built.

Virtual Minis to go on the tabletop - I say do one of two things. Either let us have them for free, or distribute a code along with an *actual* mini set so that when I purchase the real thing, I can input the code on the website and have them available virtually. None of this virtual only crap.

I realize people make actual money selling second life real estate and all kinds of bizarre crap, but I think (I hope) that WotC doesn't try and merchandize the hell out of this like it looks like they are doing. My hope is that they are fans like the rest of us and see the wrong in selling intangibles to people because they can (especially selling intangibles on top of the monthly price we are paying to use them).

'Course, if they do... I just won't buy. But I know some of you people will, making my boycott worthless. Oh well.

RSKennan

Explorer
This is a big part of the reason I just bought Fantasy Grounds 2. One time fee, and a large community of people adding character sheets, free modules, etc., and it seems there's a lot more freedom about what you can do with importing and exporting your own stuff.

Last edited:

Darrin Drader said:
How is this different than Magic Online?
With Magic Online, if you wanted a certain card in your deck, you had to get it somehow. Without it, your "game experience" would be altered. With DDI, having a 2D token available anyway means that the 3D item is not necessary for play. Even if the 2D token was not available, you'd most probably use your huge dragon to replace a 6-headed hydra - like you do with "real" minis.

In essence, I think this is a really bad idea, people are not going to pay for unnecessary items like this unless they are priced very cheaply or if whoever is doing the purchasing has a lot of superfluous cash. As others have mentioned though, let's not squabble about how much sugar is going to be in the galley's sugarbowl until the ship itself is built (and doesn't sink).

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Herremann the Wise said:
With Magic Online, if you wanted a certain card in your deck, you had to get it somehow. Without it, your "game experience" would be altered. With DDI, having a 2D token available anyway means that the 3D item is not necessary for play. Even if the 2D token was not available, you'd most probably use your huge dragon to replace a 6-headed hydra - like you do with "real" minis.

In essence, I think this is a really bad idea, people are not going to pay for unnecessary items like this unless they are priced very cheaply or if whoever is doing the purchasing has a lot of superfluous cash. As others have mentioned though, let's not squabble about how much sugar is going to be in the galley's sugarbowl until the ship itself is built (and doesn't sink).

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

You're assuming that the virtual tabletop will let you use the huge dragon mini with the stats of a 6-headed hydra. I'm not saying that you won't be able to, but I don't think we know for sure either way at this stage.

Olaf the Stout

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads