• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DDN Concept Art

Klaus

First Post
"At an end Reynold's rule is, and not short enough it was..." - Yoda on 5e artwork

I honestly don't hate his artwork. It's just so stylized and so overexposed between Pathfinder and 4e, I really need a completely new approach to cleanse my palate. I'm still lamenting the lack of MtG artists involved, their bullpen largely the premiere fantasy artists of our day, but maybe that will come in time.

I wouldn't rule out some Wayne Reynolds in Next.

As for MtG artists: MtG has a huge art budget, unlike D&D, so it can go for the most expensive artists (many of which came from D&D).

Li Shenron

Legend
"At an end Reynold's rule is, and not short enough it was..." - Yoda on 5e artwork

I honestly don't hate his artwork. It's just so stylized and so overexposed between Pathfinder and 4e

Indeed, what a pity... Reynolds is definitely an excellent artwork designer, but he's fallen victim of a problem also known among movie actors and television presenters: if they do too many movies or too many tv shows in the same period, the public starts to get sick of them and don't want to see them again for a long time afterwards. Good agents usually warn them about the risks of overexposure, but I guess that it's hard to turn down offers...

Pour

First Post
I wouldn't rule out some Wayne Reynolds in Next.

As for MtG artists: MtG has a huge art budget, unlike D&D, so it can go for the most expensive artists (many of which came from D&D).

Well if the D&D team is ever going to splurge on their budget, it should be the core three of the unity edition, right? Come on guys, break the bank, go all out. I do buy books for the artwork sometimes (certainly a Monster Manual).

variant

Adventurer
I wish they would get away from the alien looking elves with the long ears that come to a razor point. I think Tolkien elves are pretty much the standard elves.

Obryn

Hero
I wish they would get away from the alien looking elves with the long ears that come to a razor point. I think Tolkien elves are pretty much the standard elves.
Tolkien's elves are all immortal hemi-demigods, though. I don't think that's D&D's standard. :)

-O

DM Howard

Explorer
Looks slightly cartoony. I like them all except the shorter races. They remind me of something out of Legend of Zelda: Windwaker. I'd much rather have art that conveys that the artist lived in that world and painted a scene of Waterdeep or Sharn.

Argyle King

Legend
I don't think it's bad; a different style than what I'd prefer, but it's not bad.

I think the mindflayer and sahugan look pretty cool. I don't like the new bugbear nor the dwarves.

I'm not sure why, but the style of the halflings makes them look to me like they'd fit into a Shrek movie. I don't necessarily see that as bad; it's just the impression I get from them.

Maybe it's just because of being concept art, but I feel as though the artwork is too clean. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's the impression I get. I feel as though there should be more dirt and grit in a world of adventure. Everything seems overly clean and pristine.

Remove ads