D&D 5E DDN Concept Art

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The humans and elves look okay (though now I know why elves don't sleep, I dunno how they can lie down without breaking those ears) but the Halflings look like bobble head dolls.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I don't believe...I...I can't...my entire response...lengthy...well balanced...great points...

IT WAS POETRY I TELL YA!!!

Gone...just, all...gone. Not posted...can't "go back" and get it...just...gone.

So...yeah, now, here's the bullet list...sans poetry and balancing:
1) Elves ears perpendicular to the head? Hate it.
2) Wood elves in green and leaf motifs? Overdone. Gedoverit. Branch...Pff. Wood elves...branch...HA! (Totally unintentional ;) Branch out of the greens and leaf motifs. Nature, even forest-based nature, covers a lot more than leaves.
3) YRUSirius is right. Why's every monster short legged hunched over with short legs?
4) Halfings...as stated by many...Hate 'em! Skinny legs, tiny feet, gigantic square heads? Just...where to begin? On a BLANK WHITE PAGE! That's where! Hate 'em.
5) Giants...as with other monsters, 3/4 torso, 1/4 legs...and also spindly little twiggy legs? Hate it. Their giants for cryin' out loud!
6) Like the "feel" of a lot of it...don't like the "look"/aesthetic of most of it. Like, vast majority 80-90% = "most." If that makes sense. I can't b bothered to type it all out again right now.

Think those were most of the points....

I can't believe the whole [original post] thing...just...gone...poetry! *sniff* tear*

That's a night for me. Sleep well , ENWorld.
--SD

Stormonu

Legend
Cartoonish? Er, take a look back at Jeff Dee's art back from the 80's.

I do agree I'm not fond of the style overall, however. The halflings look like they are drawn from a forced perspective from above.

KidSnide

Adventurer
I agree with much of what's being said here. Many of the non-humanoid monsters look pretty good, but the proportions on the humanoids is terrible. There are far too many tiny legs attached to giant torsos. I'm pretty sure the Northland Barbarian is supposed to be human, but he has a >tiny little head< on a massive body.

The halflings are... ugh... pretty terrible. I like the idea of showing them in domestic scenes with everyday objects that are large compared to their bodies, but the massive heads / tiny legs aren't working.

-KS

pming

Legend
Hiya.

As evocative, interesting and good fantasy art? Sucks donkey-snacks. As quick video-game how-to-play booklet art? Yup, fits perfectly.

So...as 5e D&D art. I'm going to have to give a solid D overall.

What I'd like to see? Black and white art. I want to see things from different artists. I don't want all elves, for example, to be drawn by Artist X 90% of the time. I want to see multiple artists draw elves. They would all be recognizable as elves, but each artist would draw them differently. Take an elf from Larry Elmore, one from Jeff Dee, one from Roslof and one from Valerie Valusek; all recognizable as an "elf", but each drawn differently. That's what I want...diversity. Oh, and I also want a LOT more b/w art. :)

Bottom line on current concept art: Eeeewwww! Me no likey!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Li Shenron

Legend
Totally hate the halflings.

Dislike the dwarves, not stocky enough.

Still think it's dumb to have breasts and pectoral muscles on reptile humanoids.

Otherwise everything else looks very cool.

Overall this means it's less good than 3ed art.

Remove ads