DDXP 2010 News and Updates

I think this was mildly disappointing. The one upper was Gamma World, but it sucks that Streets of Shadow was cancelled, and i'll definately pass on Castle Ravenloft, seeing as the minis are unpainted (I would hate playing with a mix of painted and non-painted minis). Also, the lack of a Feywild-book was a downer. Furthermore: Only one mini-set per year, WTF It seems Wizards is slowly going away from miniatures and instead focusing on tokens.

Herschel

Adventurer
Furthermore: Only one mini-set per year, WTF It seems Wizards is slowly going away from miniatures and instead focusing on tokens.

The economy and discretionary spending is down. Way down. And a number of long-time players already have scads of minis. While one set is disappointing (but less so than the VR category of rares) it may just be 'breathing space' to let the economy and demand re-set. Tokens are cheap place holders until the market can re-set, if that's the case.

Nai_Calus

First Post
I like than PC minis are back to being in the main set (in some ways) because I primarily DM, I wasn't going to buy a PHBM set.

Yeah, I'm the opposite and I'm pretty much always a player, and the one time I did run a campaign it was online with Fantasy Grounds II, so I just want PC minis, heh. Reminds me, I should take those minis I have from the booster pack that came with my 3.5 Player's Kit to tonight's game so the DM can use something besides dice for monsters. :p

I've been kind of wanting to give DMing another shot without the annoyances of 3.5 or FGII, though, maybe the DM starter thing towards the end of the year would be the thing for me.

SSquirrel

Explorer
I meant that GW doesn't require the 4E PHB to play.

I don't know if that's true or not. I mean, the set of books they released for Eberron are considered stand alone (ie making no more for the settings) by people. I could see this as being like any of the different settings books for 3E. You need the core rules to play, this gives you all the changes. Then again GW could be a slimmed version of 4E. Who knows yet?

WalterKovacs

First Post
The economy and discretionary spending is down. Way down. And a number of long-time players already have scads of minis. While one set is disappointing (but less so than the VR category of rares) it may just be 'breathing space' to let the economy and demand re-set. Tokens are cheap place holders until the market can re-set, if that's the case.

It's also possible that they want to get the Essential stuff out there to try and build a pool of new players that they can sell miniatures to. If they can, for example, get stuff like the Red Box into chain stores, that could open a path to getting the miniatures in there as well. Even if Essential DnD is 4e-lite ... miniatures will likely work the same way. While the hope i that Essential players will eventually get into the full game, even those that don't would still be a potential market for the miniatures. If the market can be increased, the per mini cost would be decreased as well.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I like the fact that they have slowed down the flow of crunchy hardcovers. I mean I still have yet to buy open grave...

I love seeing Gamma World. As for the essentials products, we will have to see.

Remove ads