DDXP 2010 News and Updates

also DDI is very "static" and "review process heavy" (which is a good thing) so it's hard for them to just post stuff "on the fly" there.
Not so sure about the "review process heavy" given some of the WotC staff have twittered (tweeted?) about needing to finish their articles that were going to be posted the following day. ;) Hopefully that's more for the DDI "columns" than their crunch-heavy features, but I was shocked when I saw more than one of them talking about writing a DDI post the night before. Definitely a change from the several month time frame of the old print magazines! (even excluding print and distribution time)

Markn

First Post
You mean kind of like the 6-month advance info on PHB3 content that doesn't even require you to be at DDXP? :)

(I'm agreeing with you, just wanted to draw attention to the fact that they are kind of doing something like this already, just not specifically for DDXP which, as you said, is more of a marketting tool --- also DDI is very "static" and "review process heavy" (which is a good thing) so it's hard for them to just post stuff "on the fly" there. That's why they have their DD twitter, for informal announcements.. I'm sure their website will get updated with a summary later on.

You are absolutely right. Since the cons are about marketing though, and it creates a lot of chatter and buzz on the net about the new things, WotC would be well advised to take advantage of that on DDI articles too. Even if its a design diary or even just a bit more in depth than what the average non DDI guy can get that would help. Basically, they just need to extend the marketing to DDI during the Con.

On a completely different note - I wonder if the break in 4e crunch books (aside from books designed to draw in new players) will be used to gauge DDI more. With less spending on books, will more people give DDI a shot? I think the numbers could be interesting.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I hear ya...At least you've gone. I live in Canada and have yet to go to a Con of any type. I'll make it one of these days.
I can empathize with you. I've never had the chance to attend a major gaming Convention. I've only recently heard of a SciFi & Fantasy festival in Edmonton called Pure Speculation, which is held every October. I didn't learn about it until it was already over for 2009, but I'm eager to experience it in 2010.

Markn

First Post
I can empathize with you. I've never had the chance to attend a major gaming Convention. I've only recently heard of a SciFi & Fantasy festival in Edmonton called Pure Speculation, which is held every October. I didn't learn about it until it was already over for 2009, but I'm eager to experience it in 2010.

Do tell! I'm in Grande Prairie, a mere 4 hour drive away!!!!

Markn

First Post

Edit: Nevermind, I guess I can just click you link! ;)

oh lordy what is going on with the miniatures lately :eek:

This is the 3rd or 4th big change up in the production of the figures in the past 2-3 years.

I fear Orcus will be handled like the Heroclix Bricks. Buy a case, get a certificate. Pay for Shipping & Handling (buncha money). Works for them.

Ultra Rare figures is what made me quit Heroclix.

I guess I need to just wait and see what the product becomes once the dust settles. Too much uncertainity still.

I suspect it's one last gasp at trying to do this profitably before giving up the ghost.

We've just uploaded the podcasts from yesterday's seminars. They can be found here on the D&D Experience coverage page.

Also, a few things to take away:

The Essentials line will contain lots of new content for existing players, and is not a different 4E ruleset.

We'll be doing a "deeper dive" into Dark Sun with the Athas Unveiled! seminar tomorrow at 3 pm Eastern (Rich Baker and Rob Schwalb hosting). Also, we'll talk more about the new 3-Dragon Ante expansion, lots on the two boardgames, and more Gamma World in the Beyond the D&D RPG seminar tomorrow at 1 pm Eastern (Mike Mearls and Rich Baker hosting).

We will be posting the seminars on the coverage page as we get done with production on them.

And also, we announced our new in-store weekly play program called D&D Encounters during the OP and Community seminar yesterday. First season starts on March 17, runs through June 2, and is set in Undermountain. Second season will start on June 9 and will be a Dark Sun preview.

Have fun listening to the podcasts!

Last edited:

Nahat Anoj

First Post
What else, what else? Maybe some of the preview games have MM3 monsters in them? Anyone got any clues?
Well, from the cover, I can guess one of them ...

dnd_products_dndacc_253840000_pic3_en.jpg

Remove ads