Level Up (A5E) de-OGL-ifying Level Up?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Since they seem to be saying that they still own things like the classes, are you going to have to rename and reconfigure the more player-fronting parts of the game as well>
Assuming they agree to the 1.2. I still think they have full rights to the 1.0a.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Assuming they agree to the 1.2. I still think they have full rights to the 1.0a.
I really hope so.

Although fortunately, the classes and heritages are different enough that I can't imagine anything more than a handful of things being renamed. Dragonborn, tieflings and aasimar, the eladrin culture, and some monsters.

FatPandaMonk

Villager
Sorry to inflict a OGL thread here, but today's EN Publishing tweet has given me hope that something positive may come of this OGL mess:

"So what are we doing re #opendnd? Still having crisis meetings but our thoughts are along the lines of (a) de-OGL-ifying Level Up and moving to a true open license; would need work but luckily we didn't use SRD text we wrote our own (b) investing more in WOIN our in-house system."

A de-OGL-ified Level Up wouldn't just be an epic boon to us (and one that I would happily re-purchase all my books for), but also a huge uniting resource for the wider OGL 3PP community: a new d20-adjacent platform that plays better than 5e and has more trusted guardianship. A step above what even Pathfinder did when GSL 1.0 came along.

I don't feel it would be right for me to post a poll on this but my vote is Option A
I don't have enough unused money in bags to happily repurchase books I have at full price. I would continue to use the PDF stuff I have.

Remove ads