Level Up (A5E) de-OGL-ifying Level Up?

Has this been decided? I wasn't aware that a decision regarding Level Up's future has been made, but people are talking here as if it has been.
I think everyone is trying to be upbeat and positive in light of what we have been hearing lately involving the OGL. As everyone has grown up playing and collecting D&D and D&D-related material for years. And now we're confronted with the possibility of WoTC repeating history, and possibly succeeding this time. We don't know what's going to happen next until it happens.

Stalker0

Legend
Yes, we rewrote every word. Compare them! :)
I guess this is the part I am unfamiliar with when it comes to copyright. While there are some spells in LU that have different effects to 5e, there are many spells where the changes are aesthetic only. Sure a few words are changed here and there, but the actual mechanical creation is exactly the same as what's in the SRD. Is that not problematic?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess this is the part I am unfamiliar with when it comes to copyright. While there are some spells in LU that have different effects to 5e, there are many spells where the changes are aesthetic only. Sure a few words are changed here and there, but the actual mechanical creation is exactly the same as what's in the SRD. Is that not problematic?
Well that’s a complicated legal question. We’ll talk to our lawyer, of course.

IANAL, but the EFF post earlier today suggests, "No." Not that there might not be issues, even given EFF's argument, but at the very least I wouldn't worry about it over-much. Morrus, of course, has to worry more about it, but it's not an issue that general users need to get hung up on.

I'm no lawyer, but I'd hope one cannot "copyright" the mechanics of a 6d6 damage fire aoe spell, or of an invisibility spell.

Remove ads