• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dead levels for other classes and prestige classes?

ChimericDream

First Post
I'm trying to find out if anyone has made dead levels for any other classes besides what was in the Dead Levels 1 & 2 articles at Wizards. Since I'm using these rules for the core classes, I was also wanting to add this option to my players for the rest of the SRD classes (read: psionic classes). Also, what are people's opinions on having dead levels in prestige classes? I noticed that they specifically left out any PrCs in both articles, so I was curious if anyone had done that as well.

sigma999

First Post
I'd just add in "Bonus Feat" instead of these weird new options for dead level filler or whatever, and if you want to limit that just say "Wizards can only take more metamagic" and so on.

ChimericDream

First Post
Well, the thing is, the dead levels options aren't game breaking by any means. They primarily add small abilities to help round out a class. Simply adding bonus feats to every dead level for every class would mean that some (like the cleric) would get an additional 19 feats, while others (like the monk) wouldn't get any. That's a bit over the top. I'm looking for something along the same lines as the Wizards articles on dead levels.

Narsil

First Post
The Psychic Warrior has twelve dead levels, this is actually a good thing since it gives us an even number of levels to improve its chances with;

Physical Prowess (Ex): As the dead levels fighter ability, but only available at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18. Making it a reduced version of the fighter's variant capacity.

Psionic Identification (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a Psychic Warrior's mental capacity grants it an ability similar to the Sorcerer's Magical Affinity. This instead only works for Knowledge (Psionic) checks, and works in the fashion that its use grants them the ability to see a psionic creature for what it is ('That tentacled bloke over there's a bit psychic!'), but nothing of its special powers or abilities. The bonus to Knowledge checks is +2 at level four, and an additional +1 at levels 7, 10, 13, 16 and 19.

jasin

Explorer
I have to ask: what is the definition of "dead level" here?

A level where the Special column of the table is empty?

Back in the old days, when 3E was new and you didn't have swordsages and you had to play fighter/sorcerer/rogue/blade dancers to emulate folks from Crouching, Tiger Hidden Dragon, or hellbread and you had to eat the half-fiend LA if you wanted to play a devil-tainted paladin on the quest for redemption, I usually understood dead levels as levels where you got no interesting power, but only HD, skill points, perhaps saves, perhaps BAB.

By that standard, psychic warrior has no dead levels. They get a new superpower at each and every level! Why does it matter that it's in the Powers Known column rather than the Special column?

Kirin'Tor

First Post
jasin said:
I have to ask: what is the definition of "dead level" here?

A level where the Special column of the table is empty?

..., I usually understood dead levels as levels where you got no interesting power, but only HD, skill points, perhaps saves, perhaps BAB.

By that standard, psychic warrior has no dead levels. They get a new superpower at each and every level! Why does it matter that it's in the Powers Known column rather than the Special column?

The problem with the 'spells are special' is that there's nothing (or little) to keep the player in a class like sorcerer, when compared to a full progression (or near full, -1 or -2 levels) PrC - they tend to give a nifty ability at nearly ever or every other level, with 9th level casting still in tact.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads