• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with Player Cheating

Storyteller01

First Post
Psychic Warrior said:
If you don't want to confront the person you can have another player(s) watch her dice rolls and announce what they are beofre she can. Might be rude but sdhew should get the message pdq.

We did something similar. Another player descretely watched the rolls, and flashed a 'yah' or 'nah' sign when the suspected did or did not lie. The DM confronted the person quietly when they confirmed the cheating.

EDIT: Suppose I should read the whole thread before chiming in :)

Last edited:

briezee

First Post
In one of the games I played in, the person to the left of whoever rolled the die reported the score.

In games where I DM, the groups have been small around and dining room table and I was a fairly new DM, so they would roll their dice towards me and when I processed the roll I would give it back when ready to announce the verdicts. (Everyone had their own distinct dice.)

Seeten

First Post
My DM uses the "If I didnt see it, it never happened rule."

If I quickpick up a die, it needs to be rerolled. Even if I slow pick it up, after everyone else has seen it, if he didnt see the roll and the numbers, its gonna be rerolled, cause he didnt see it.

Go ahead and use that, for all players, and this problem is solved.

Acid_crash

First Post
Also, if you have all the players roll in the open, roll in the open yourself. It will show trust on your part and also show incentive for your players to want to roll in the open as well.

Personally, I really dislike DMs who roll all their dice behind a game screen, or on a computer. I, as a DM, roll in the open, and whenever I Roll I just say what my bonus or penalty is (never explain where that bonus/penalty comes from, though) and go with the roll. This way, if I tell the player on watch during camp, "make a Listen check and I'll roll for a Move Silently with a +12 bonus," and then both dice hit the table at the same time...in my mind it shows more suspense and shows trust, and when both dice are done rolling and the player see's that he missed mine by JUST 1 point, watch his face drop as he realizes that he didn't hear a damn thing. :) ;)

But, that's my style. I don't like DMs who roll all dice behind game shields, makes me think they are cheating. If the DM rolls in front, rolls two nat 20's against me and pulls off one massive hit and my PC dies, then I can smile and go, "that was a worthy death," and make a new character.

err...I guess I'm ranting now... I'll stop. :)

I agree with others...roll dice in open, if DM says leave it until you make a resolution, and they pick it up, either it doesn't count or make a reroll, etc. Use Action Points.

Ellie_the_Elf

First Post
Acid_crash- I would, but my players don't like me rolling in the open- no idea why! I've rolled a few vital saves for my monsters and such openly before, but when we started the new campaign I gave them the choice and they unanimously voted that I should roll behind the screen <shrugs>

Ellie

SpiralBound

Explorer
I won't chime in with another statement of my views because barsoomcore pretty much slam-dunked every point I was going to make. However, as an interesting aside, here's the story of "Nat 20 Harry". Harry is a guy that I've occasionally played 2nd Ed D&D with and some friends in common who've played more with him always refer to him as "Nat 20 Harry" when he plays. They told me that while he didn't cheat, he always got a nat 20 when he REALLY needed it.

Now, before playing with him I always assumed that this was exaggeration on their part to make the story better. Of course he would get the same averages of dice values as anyone else, why wouldn't he? Then I played with him. Sure enough, his rolls were the same as anyone elses 90% of the time, but whenever it was at a most dangerous or dramatic point in the story and it was basically a "do or die" situation for him, he would usually get a nat 20. Why? Beats me... His die rolls were out in the open, he didn't consistently use a "special" die. Heck, the GM got frustrated with him once and demanded that the rolls be with the GM's dice in the middle of the table. Nothing seemed to matter. When he really needed a nat 20, it was usually there.

Now, I'm not suggesting that this is what is happening with your female player. I just figured that this would be an interesting story to throw in here with the other posts. Harry is the only person I've ever even heard of who can pull stuff like that, and to this day I'm not sure just how he can beat the averages like that. We're always telling him he should go to Vegas or something. :)

Seeten

First Post
I dont like the dm rolling in the open because he cant fudge rolls that way.

I like the DM to be able to "make things more interesting" by hitting when he thinks it'll make it a tougher fight, and I like the "sudden miss" that saves my life, also. Out in the open die rolls we tried a few times and it led to much more TPK.

But I definitely like our "I didnt see it" rule, it makes it fair for everyone.

frankthedm

First Post
Ellie_the_Elf said:
I strongly suspect any kind of sraight out accusation would get nothing other than denials and tears.

Great! Reducing a slug like this to gibbbering slime is quite appropriate. The deserve no better. :D

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Acid_crash said:
Also, if you have all the players roll in the open, roll in the open yourself. It will show trust on your part and also show incentive for your players to want to roll in the open as well.

Personally, I really dislike DMs who roll all their dice behind a game screen, or on a computer. I, as a DM, roll in the open, and whenever I Roll I just say what my bonus or penalty is (never explain where that bonus/penalty comes from, though) and go with the roll. This way, if I tell the player on watch during camp, "make a Listen check and I'll roll for a Move Silently with a +12 bonus," and then both dice hit the table at the same time...in my mind it shows more suspense and shows trust, and when both dice are done rolling and the player see's that he missed mine by JUST 1 point, watch his face drop as he realizes that he didn't hear a damn thing. :) ;)

But, that's my style. I don't like DMs who roll all dice behind game shields, makes me think they are cheating. If the DM rolls in front, rolls two nat 20's against me and pulls off one massive hit and my PC dies, then I can smile and go, "that was a worthy death," and make a new character.

err...I guess I'm ranting now... I'll stop. :)

I agree with others...roll dice in open, if DM says leave it until you make a resolution, and they pick it up, either it doesn't count or make a reroll, etc. Use Action Points.

I regularly make my players roll Listen, spot etc checks when there isn't a damn thing to hear. It keeps them on their toes and they always want to make a second one if their first is low. I roll nothing in the open but I also trust my players not to cheat (and none of them do - we are, y'know, adults). I use a game shield because it has all of the rules I need to consult in a hurry right on it, blocking the view of my die rolls isn't important.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads