• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with UMD

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wasn't saying the link was broken, just that it didn't want to tell me anything because it was too busy: it's currently telling me it's doing some kind of backup.

Talonblaze

First Post
Interesting thread, but it really only tells me really a few things;

-Monks aren't optimized for UMD abuse. (Apparently they just plain suck regardless, even in this example unless against crappy casters. Not something I was unaware of.)

-Batman still wins. Big surprise?

This unfortunately only really covered UMD for one class and we know there are bunches of others that can and would use it far more or make more use out of it. Probably the caster's themselves even more than the Monk.

Dandu

First Post
The fighter's a pretty poor class if you're going to try and pimp UMD, since you only get 2 skill points/level, UMD still isn't a class skill for you, which means all the skill points you do get from your class go into UMD, Cha is a dump stat... the list goes on.

Talonblaze

First Post
Indeed, the fighter was just a throw out example for one that would benefit a bit from having no caster ability. There's probably many other classes/builds that are non casters or poor casters that would utilize such.

Rogue would probably make a better 'Joker' to take down the 'Batman' with more tricks and a better UMD. (At least I think.) But dunno if it would be successful even so.

But in the case of a high Int or Cha full caster, it'd be a skill to dump in for that added boost of power that might always be nice to have.

Dandu

First Post
Rogue would probably make a better 'Joker' to take down the 'Batman' with more tricks and a better UMD. (At least I think.) But dunno if it would be successful even so.
Not really, no.

If you want, you can try a build that optimizes UMD and we'll run some numbers.

Talonblaze

First Post
Unfortunately I suck at the true 'optimization' even if most of my characters come out top in my party, I know they are far from the epic powers of what others have made.
(Even just looking at Seto shows I'd get creamed and laughed at.)

Plus, my probable lack of material would most likely inhibit my ability to find and use possible builds.

Might be a good challenge for me to find someone who does expert builds.

Dandu

First Post
Unfortunately I suck at the true 'optimization' even if most of my characters come out top in my party, I know they are far from the epic powers of what others have made.
(Even just looking at Seto shows I'd get creamed and laughed at.)

Plus, my probable lack of material would most likely inhibit my ability to find and use possible builds.

Might be a good challenge for me to find someone who does expert builds.
There was an Expert vs Monk thread on BG a while back. Concensus was divided on who was superior, but that the Expert was even in the running when compared with a PC class...

Anyways, UMD was used. It's a powerful skill, but duplicating spellcasting via items gets expensive, which seems to be a balancing factor.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Besides, some classes, such as Artificer and to a lesser extent Warlock, depend upon UMD for their bread and butter functioning.

Wanna nerf a skill? How about Tumble? I mean, moving past enemy threatened squares without provoking A.o_O.? What's up with that?

Remove ads