ZEITGEIST Death of the Author -- coming soon!

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
I would never have bought it in 4th ed, hated the system. Don't like 5th ed or PF2 either but will still buy this and just convert any stats to PF1 and post them here. Having been so impressed with the campaign I would even buy ZG products for 4th ed now and convert them.

Worldres

Explorer
Very excited. I'm all in on the Zeitgeist train, even if I won't get to this adventure for awhile. My players are all sending me money to support the kickstarter.

PF1 is also my favourite system but I know it's not gonna happen, and I won't hold my breath for a PF2 conversion. I don't like 5e, but I'll deal with it if it means more Zeitgeist!

Worldres

Explorer
Backed. Threw in some extra on behalf of my players. Looking forward to the adventure, and to more in the future.

'Grats on the successful kickstarter so far. Well deserved. consider our group five voices towards supporting a conversion kickstarter of any kind someday

thundershot

Adventurer
So… as someone who uses his own homebrew mishmashing bits from published adventures (entire world is a series of islands but each adventure is just on a different island.. so Neverwinter, the City of Greyhawk, the Kimgmaker Stolen Lands, and the Isle of Dread are all on the same world, aptly named Amalgam). After a brief skim, I want to integrate this into my world without changing anything about my world. It’s an island for the adventure, so that part makes it easy.. it’s all of the steampunk that makes it a little harder. I do use Warforged, so it’s not unheard of or impossible, just not to the extent of the default setting. My world does have Spelljammer elements for whenever WOTC decides to do it again…

I guess I’m just asking for advice on integrating this adventure into a “normal“ D&D type world without losing its heart.

efreund

Explorer
Spoilers below!

In this particular adventure, there are no steam punk elements that really clamor for screen-time. What really comes front and center are:
  • nobles/politicians from a variety of different countries/backgrounds (the particulars of these backgrounds aren't essential, so long as everyone has different accents and comes from opposing cultures/worldviews that can breed distrust)
  • a magically-unstable natural environment with weird pokemonesque animals
  • a Frankenstein's monster sort of thing (I will posit that flesh golems are core enough to DnD to not qualify as steam punk)
These need to be supported if you want to use the heart of the adventure.

The only bugaboo the covert arms sale. By the module, the "thing" being sold is very steampunky (but in a Spelljammer sort of way). If you're down with Spelljammer, just keep it! Else, you just need to change the McGuffin to something more fantasy. Anything would work. The item in question isn't intended to be used until the follow-up adventure (which isn't out yet, but probably wouldn't work with your world). Off the cuff, I'll recommend substituting in a Pandora's Box type artifact filled with terrible secrets but opening it would be perilous.

Some prominent characters use firearms. You can just make those autocrossbows or something.
There's some explosives, but those can be alchemical.

Many of the characters otherwise may reference steam-punky elements. But they are just background flavor and don't impact the on-screen narrative, and are easily elided.

thundershot

Adventurer
Spoilers below!

In this particular adventure, there are no steam punk elements that really clamor for screen-time. What really comes front and center are:
  • nobles/politicians from a variety of different countries/backgrounds (the particulars of these backgrounds aren't essential, so long as everyone has different accents and comes from opposing cultures/worldviews that can breed distrust)
  • a magically-unstable natural environment with weird pokemonesque animals
  • a Frankenstein's monster sort of thing (I will posit that flesh golems are core enough to DnD to not qualify as steam punk)
These need to be supported if you want to use the heart of the adventure.

The only bugaboo the covert arms sale. By the module, the "thing" being sold is very steampunky (but in a Spelljammer sort of way). If you're down with Spelljammer, just keep it! Else, you just need to change the McGuffin to something more fantasy. Anything would work. The item in question isn't intended to be used until the follow-up adventure (which isn't out yet, but probably wouldn't work with your world). Off the cuff, I'll recommend substituting in a Pandora's Box type artifact filled with terrible secrets but opening it would be perilous.

Some prominent characters use firearms. You can just make those autocrossbows or something.
There's some explosives, but those can be alchemical.

Many of the characters otherwise may reference steam-punky elements. But they are just background flavor and don't impact the on-screen narrative, and are easily elided.
Thanks for the quick response! I did skim through and read certain sections and yeah, I did see the McGuffin and instantly thought of it as a way to introduce a Spelljammer element to my current group. We do have firearms, but they’re extremely rare. Once I really dig into it I’ll be taking notes on what I need to alter. I do have various powers at play, but maybe not as many as this adventure has. We’ll see. It looks like fun and I have plenty of time as the group is just about 7th level.

Remove ads