D&D 5E December Package is here, it was about time!!

Grimmjow

First Post
That may be intended,

If you notice Heroic got WAY more attention in 4e then the other tears. They've stated most people play at low levels only, and that may or may not be true. And face it read the stuff from the last few years, they are just much better at writing for low level than high level.

I love the high level stuff though. It shouldn't be completely dumbed. When DDN comes out i wanna convert my level 11 (higher level by then) dragon sorcerer from PF to DDN and feel like i've gained something, not lost it

BobTheNob

First Post
I am also wondering whether we are ever going to see a two hander fighter. With the damage bonus's being flat (i.e. not influenced by weapon choice) the sword and board would be doing (approx) 2 points less per hit when damage is in the 30-40 scale, and for that he gets 2 equipment magical items, one giving AC bonus.

Would far prefer that the martial damage dice for the fighter was a bit more 4e style in that the dice you use is the dice type from the weapon.

One other observation, the cleric getting damage dice. Ok, I get it, but they really have narrowed any design space they may be been saving for the paladin.

S

Sunseeker

Would far prefer that the martial damage dice for the fighter was a bit more 4e style in that the dice you use is the dice type from the weapon.

On the one hand, I think that would be really cool.
On the other, unless there was a wide variety of equitable weapons, it would really end up with most people taking greatsword of longsword only. This is why I've always preferred weapons to use a more standardized dice-type than all the very randomly-assigned dice that weapons have traditionally had.

Szatany

First Post
Took me forever to understand what skill dice are :p
Anyone else thinks that there isn't a good reason cure x wounds is a family of spells instead of one spell that gets better if you cast it at higher level? I understand that it helps designing one of cleric's domains, but that's a weak reason if it's the only reason.

Just because I like making stuff:

Cure Wounds
1st-level conjuration

You channel magical energy into an injured creature to mend wounds and ease suffering.
Effect: Choose a living creature within 50 feet of you. It regains 1d8 + 4 hit points.
Special: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of a level 2nd to 4th, the hit points regained increase by 1d8+1 for each level above 1st.

Another thing: Some spells mention word of power, but there's no mention of it in the classes chapter. It is a leftover from the previous packet? I remember there were rules for wop in the cleric class, but there aren't anymore.

Last edited:

BobTheNob

First Post
Took me forever to understand what skill dice are :p
Anyone else thinks that there isn't a good reason cure x wounds is a family of spells instead of one spell that gets better if you cast it at higher level? I understand that it helps designing one of cleric's domains, but that's a weak reason if it's the only reason.

Im pretty much with you. Seems redundant to do things this way, though I might add to your design a limit to which you can up level it (say at most a level 5 spell). I think this idea of spell scaling by up-leveling is one of the best features they have come up with to date and Im hoping that can find ways to spread it a bit more widely.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

Just because I like making stuff: <snip>

I suggested exactly this in the last feedback!Excellent.

Greg K

Legend
I think the Monk Traditions look awesome.

Based on your Dragon articles and WOTC written stuff, I am not surprised that you like it. No offense, but while I like your illustration work, we seem to have completely different tastes in flavor of D&D. Your written stuff falls into the category of what I find wrong about the direction of WOTC D&D.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Does the crazy damage scaling in this game mean that it breaks if you try to have two high level PCs fight each other? Like if you want to have two 15th level Fighters duke it out, do you have to build one as a "monster" so they have more HP and less damage or can you build both as regular PC Fighters?

Remove ads