D&D (2024) A Cranky Warlock Fan's Quick Review on the Whole Playtest Packet

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
This is the real issue. There wasn’t enough commitment to giving every class a meaningful reason to take a short rest. Some classes NEEDED them, most… didn’t care.
The issue is still continuing to some degree even if it's somewhat dialed down from the extreme it was at before. Compare the new barbarian wizard & warlock to the fighter paladin & sorcerer

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
So... Each of the Packs are now a cantrip.
Magic Initiate is a level 1 background feat that grants access to 2 cantrips (plus some other stuff)
Doesn't this mean a Level 1 character starting as a Warlock can have all 3 pacts?

TheSword

Legend
I love short rests. They permit non-magical healing which is great for the game.

I struggle to see how any class doesn’t benefit from that considering the hit point resources doesn’t get used anywhere else.

As a DM I almost always permit short rests whenever desired unless there is a specific wave based combat encounter which is supposed to difficult so has a timer - like a ship sinking, a volcano about to erupt, someone about to be sacrificed. Etc.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
So... Each of the Packs are now a cantrip.
Magic Initiate is a level 1 background feat that grants access to 2 cantrips (plus some other stuff)
Doesn't this mean a Level 1 character starting as a Warlock can have all 3 pacts?
I thought of this, too. I think what saves this is that Magic Initiate has you pick from a spell list, while the Pact Cantrips are not part of a spell list, just warlock-exclusive. I could be wrong and I don’t have the playtests in front of me, but I think this is the case.
As a DM I almost always permit short rests whenever desired unless there is a specific wave based combat encounter which is supposed to difficult so has a timer - like a ship sinking, a volcano about to erupt, someone about to be sacrificed. Etc.
Wish all DMs/parties were this cool.

Remove ads