Deck of Many Things... ever try to sell one?

FungiMuncher

First Post
In my game, the halfling rogue PC stumbled upon an auction house run by a mercane. While he was waiting for the item he wanted to come up, the mercane brought out a Deck of Many Things, and gave a farily detailed description of it. However, when he opened the bidding at 100,000 gp, our halfling quickly lost interest.

The player is very new to the game, and I ran this encounter off to the side. The other players still don't know that the Deck is out there somewhere!

FM

Kestrel

Explorer
I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't be able to sell it. Make it an artifact that he is stuck with until someone kills him like the previous owner. The deck even keeps his corpse alive after he dies from old age, much like the previous Keeper.

Hehe...exactly how did the previous Keeper of the Deck get it? From killing the previous owner.

Just an idea

brian

thundershot

Adventurer
Heh. Knowing MY group, if they got ahold of a deck right now, they'd just go around charging people to just PICK A CARD from the deck... and let the people deal with the consequences.. :D

Tewligan

First Post
thundershot said:
Heh. Knowing MY group, if they got ahold of a deck right now, they'd just go around charging people to just PICK A CARD from the deck... and let the people deal with the consequences.. :D

In the campaign I play in, there's a mage's guild that does just that in a major city. 500 gp (I think) buys you a draw. I bought a couple of draws, ending up with multiple wishes, the "win your next encounter to gain a level" card, and the minor death (which I defeated, thus gaining the next level from the card drawn seconds previously.) Another character in the party, emboldened by my successes, bought a draw and lost all of his possessions, then bought another draw and had something else bad happen (I THINK it was the enmity of an outsider.) He then offered to pay for another draw for me, obviously hoping that I would get bitten by the string of bad cards - I got another wish on that draw.
Oh, I did feel bad for him - I generously bought a pair of pants for him, since he had lost ALL possessions on his draw.

Orco42

First Post
I actually think Numion price is better than Piratecats.

The decks are so much fun! As a character I slay all of the party memebers and then pawn all there stuff to get a deck. (Of course I am a little evil)

I have had so much fun in the past with the deck I would trade any other 2 artifacts for the deck.

And as a DM I love giving them to the players.

PatrickLawinger

First Post
Hehe, I let a group find a deck once (it was a light-hearted campaign). The CN rogue walks into a bar, goes up to a table with some likely victims and says, "I am new in town, looking to meet a few people. Tell you what, I'll buy a round of drinks, and you guys can tell me about the area. Then we can just draw cards, the low card buys the next round."

It was a nightmare to DM, but hilarious.

Orco42

First Post
Dr. M-

Ok I change my mind. I would have the buying cost at least 200k but I would only let the PC's get about 10k if they sell it.

That way they are more likely to use it.

And that is always fun. ;)

madriel

First Post
Dr Midnight said:

Thursday, we start the new adventure. Going to be some cool stuff happening.

Thanks for the update, Doc.

I think you can have a lot of fun when the PCs try to find a buyer. I'd suggest having a faction or two after the deck trying to destroy it, others trying to steal it (use hostages against them), and powerful nobles/mages/churches/etc. try to bully the PCs into selling it to them. Make it an albatross around their necks that they just want to get rid of any way they can. Let it be a relief when they finally get something for it and get it out of their lives.

Remove ads