D&D 5E Deck of Many Things Preview

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
It's here.

I posted the art, but figured I'd leave the page with some rules on it at their site. EDIT: But we see the text for the Balance, Comet, and Donjon cards.

DoMT_p2.jpg

Thaumaturge.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Well that was a let down, didn't really preview anything.
Actually, it did. While we didn't get the whole enchilada, we now know that they aren't afraid to put a totally game-breaking item into the DMG. I loved the 1E DoMT, and I'm happy to see it's not gimped like other versions have been.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I'm okay with this preview. As Mercule said, it's revealing the entire design of the Deck of Many Things. It's a return to the 1e definition, using the 4e card designs. It's a "legendary" level item, and the effects of the three cards shown make it very clear that it's going to be a potentially campaign-breaking item (like 1e) rather than a watered-down "balanced" item (like 4e). Some people will be happy about that, some people will be unhappy about that.

I'm on the fence. The return to 1e power levels means that this is an item that, as the DM, I will have to use very carefully. There's certainly a place for it at my table, but only under certain circumstances.

As for complaining that it's not really a preview unless they reveal all the cards... The definition of a preview is "an opportunity to view something before it is acquired or becomes generally available". But D&D rules aren't entirely a physical product. If they previewed the entire item, then it is already "generally available". An HTML or PDF copy of the entire Deck of Many Things is not a preview; it's a release. This preview tells me everything I need to know about the design of the 5e Deck of Many Things, while still leaving me some surprises for when I buy the DMG. I'm fine with that.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am quite happy they decided to give a reward to those who bought Gardmore Abbey by making those cards 100% useable with 5e :)

Paraxis

Explorer
From the front page.

WotC's Trevor Kidd says "The Deck of Many Things continues on to a third page. We'll save that one for the DMG release. This first preview shows the layout/treatment, descriptive text and a lot of art. Sorry for those who wanted a full item they could use now."

So the entry only goes on for one more page, and that one has to have the rest of the information about the cards so no to little artwork. What I am getting at is they waste a whole page of the DMG to give images of 12 of the 22 cards in the deck, that is pointless. If they had at least given the 13 cards in the smaller deck some people might find it useful to photocopy the pages and make a deck, this way all it does it take up a page.

Remove ads