D&D 5E Chaotic Origins of the Deck of Many Things, WotC video

darjr

I crit!
The Deck of Many things during WotCs research has been described in many ways so they wanted to create a story for it and facilitate DM's to make it their own.

IMG_8736.jpeg
They explored the god of fate giving a reading to two new iconic characters Euryale and Asteria, a Druid Medusa and Paladin that is also their first autistic character.

IMG_8739.jpeg

IMG_8740.jpeg
IMG_8742.jpeg

I do love how they've taken on the reclaimed symbol of the Medusa.

They talk about the cards and of particular interest to me are the two adventures or locations within. The Donjon especially. A sphere in space that is a Barrier Peaks like prison that players can get to via telescopes or a spelljammer! Also the "House of Cards" that has a monster that tries to get adventurers there so it can devour them. Oh and Chris Perkins loves Modrons.

IMG_8738.jpeg
IMG_8746.jpeg
IMG_8745.jpeg

They also mentioned that artists would get an entire family of cards so that the style and theme of them would more closely match, a nice touch.

Attachments

• IMG_8744.jpeg
    IMG_8744.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8743.jpeg
    IMG_8743.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh the two new iconic characters have a place in the outlands as well.
Ome thing that I appreciate that they pulled off this year: Golden Keys, Bigby, Phandelver, and Deck of Many Things all tie into the Outlands pretty directly (
the BBEG of Phandelver has ties to the Level 17 Dungeon in Turn of Fortune's Wheel
Annam is chilling in the Outlands waiting for the Giants to wise up
, all the Planescape Adventuresin Golden Keys, etc)).

Dunno if thst was just a 2024 thing, or if they want to.make sure to connect to the Great Wheel more moving forward.

darjr

I crit!
Ome thing that I appreciate that they pulled off this year: Golden Keys, Bigby, Phandelver, and Deck of Many Things all tie into the Outlands pretty directly (
the BBEG of Phandelver has ties to the Level 17 Dungeon in Turn of Fortune's Wheel

Dunno if thst was just a 2024 thing, or if they want to.make sure to connect to the Great Wheel more moving forward.
It's a Chris Perkins thing. I think.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Having a default setting they can get the public to firmly identify as being "D&D" when that name is used helps when it comes to making future movies, cartoons and videogames and is them leveraging something they own that is not also shared via Creative Commons.

I think WotC is almost certainly going to go whole hog on the Great Wheel setting from here on out.

darjr

I crit!
Having a default setting they can get the public to firmly identify as being "D&D" when that name is used helps when it comes to making future movies, cartoons and videogames and is them leveraging something they own that is not also shared via Creative Commons.

I think WotC is almost certainly going to go whole hog on the Great Wheel setting from here on out.
I agree.

It also makes me appreciate they let folks use "The Manual of the Planes" and create that book for 5e outside of wotc.

I think that's just a thing that they do - the one year I bought pretty much everything they put out was 2021, and everything seemed to tie into each other in some way: Tashas had easter eggs for Witchlight, the carnival in Witchlight tied into the carnival in Van Richtens, Tashas had art assets for both Azalin and Rhys, etc etc.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It also makes me appreciate they let folks use "The Manual of the Planes" and create that book for 5e outside of wotc.
It's on DMs Guild. It's not outside of WotC.

I'd love if one of the 10 million lawyers ENWorld turned out to have posting here last winter could chime in on whether "Manual of the Planes" is generic enough for anyone to use without WotC's permission, though.

Remove ads