D&D 5E Deck of Many Things manufacturing issue from review to delay to dndbeyond article.

darjr

I crit!
This gentleman has quite a few videos about the Deck Of Many Things. He is personally happy with it and his review video is quite positive. It is simultaneously very brutal.

You have to tear open the slipcase! And the cards are different sizes and curved.

Are there any good reasons they are different sizes?

Updating to add this may be a temporary thing with the cards, I have my doubts, and it is just one review.

Update 2:
The tearing is not the slipcase. It’s a cardboard wrapper around the product. It’s a sustainability product seal and to be easier to open than the terrain and monster sets were.

From Dan Dillon
For the love of Gond, the thin cardstock wrap on the Deck of Many Things set is not a slipcase. It's a non-plastic replacement for shrink wrap.   It's expected that it'll be torn open and discarded.

Update 3 thanks to @TravDoc42

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy6-DMBt4Od/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Polygon reached out to Wizards and heard back from Kyle Brink.

See the thread on the delay for specifics on that. https://www.enworld.org/threads/deck-of-many-things-release-delayed.700685/

Update 4!
GameMasters has updated his rating.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 9.33.07 PM.png

MAJOR UPDATE It seems that WotC has recognize a manufacturing error in the initial samples sent out (read that as review copies) and have offered to replace mine. Further, this is the reason for the delay so they can assess the street product to ensure quality. In my book, this alone has caused my "yes and no" to be a 100% yes, this is worth it. There was an issue with the quality, and that was my only complaint. That is being addressed so.. I am very pleased that WotC is making it right.

There is a piece on DNDBeyond about it.

Attachments

• IMG_8772.jpeg
    IMG_8772.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_8764.jpeg
    IMG_8764.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_8768.jpeg
    IMG_8768.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't thinkntheybare actually different sizes, the crinoline is causing thst appearance.

This is an unfortunately common issue with foil cards for a certain percentageof decks, similar to book binding issues with hardcover books. If this was purchased, I would suggest he bring it to WotC customer support, like for a faulty book or Magic deck, not sure if that applies or free copies though.

Oofta

Legend
I don't thinkntheybare actually different sizes, the crinoline is causing thst appearance.

This is an unfortunately common issue with foil cards for a certain percentageof decks, similar to book binding issues with hardcover books. If this was purchased, I would suggest he bring it to WotC customer support, like for a faulty book or Magic deck, not sure if that applies or free copies though.

I've had to return books in the past, it was quite simple and fuss-free. You'd likely have to return the whole boxed set of course.

darjr

I crit!

He measured them

instead some of these measure 4 and 13/16 and 2x 13/16

And here is a photo.

IMG_8772.jpeg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
He measured them

And here is a photo.

View attachment 316641
Right, that's the "Pringle" effect, from the cards being exposed to humidity so some of the card paper expands but the foil...doesn't expand. Hence slightly shifting shape and curling. The original cards should have been all the same shape.

There are some homebrew ways to mitigate this (like with the oven or a blow dryer), but customer support is probably a better path.

Remove ads