D&D 5E Deck of Many Things manufacturing issue from review to delay to dndbeyond article.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Man I’m so burnt on smug and/or smarmy faced older white dudes talking about D&D in YouTube videos…is this guy as annoying as his video thumbnail looks? Like assume the pov of someone who finds nerd immersion nearly unwatchably annoying, self-satisfied, up his own nose, and just basically cringe, as much as I hate that term.
Let's not make this the sort of place where people sneer at the appearance of others, please. Imagine if somebody spoke about you like that.

MGibster

Legend
I'm really enjoying the weird turn against Youtube that's been going on around here the last couple of months. It's fascinating.
What is that all about? There are some Youtube personalities I don't care for because they beat around the bush and can't seem to form a cohesive thesis, but this dude went right into it with clear concise language. And he had an awesome beard.

I was actually somewhat excited about this product, but I'm taking it off my list of things to buy. If I'm spending $100 I expect good quality. Maybe there's only a small number of badly produced cards out there, but I'm not taking any chances.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Steve Jackson games had curved cards when they first tried foil. They replaced every single one of mine. And I think setup replacements with FLGS.
Yeah, WotC tends to be pretty good at replacing manufacturing defect products. With Magic, stock can be an issue, as they might not have any foils of a particular Mythic Rare card on hand and only be able to offer an indirect substitute, but a mass produced standardized deck like this shouldn't be a problem for an obvious printing issue.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What is that all about? There are some Youtube personalities I don't care for because they beat around the bush and can't seem to form a cohesive thesis, but this dude went right into it with clear concise language. And he had an awesome beard.

I was actually somewhat excited about this product, but I'm taking it off my list of things to buy. If I'm spending $100 I expect good quality. Maybe there's only a small number of badly produced cards out there, but I'm not taking any chances.
The chance of printing errors is basically baked into the price point, to pay for potential replacements.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I watch very few YouTube videos because they annoy me. This one was short, concise and not at all smug. My only complaint is that I will never be able to scrub the bit where he shows himself actually tearing open the slipcase from my mind. I suspect my therapist may suggest that I buy multiple copies of this so I have have an untorn one and one I can look inside. Although even as I type that, I'm remembering that there is a special cover version of this, so that means getting four copies. Why WotC? Why? o_O
Uhm…to separate hardcore collectors from their money. Seems kinda obvious.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That’s lame. The book sounds all right. But a tarot deck random adventure generator? I mean, cool idea but that’s nothing new. You can find all kinds of wild random generators and random generation methods with a quick search.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I watch very few YouTube videos because they annoy me. This one was short, concise and not at all smug. My only complaint is that I will never be able to scrub the bit where he shows himself actually tearing open the slipcase from my mind. I suspect my therapist may suggest that I buy multiple copies of this so I have have an untorn one and one I can look inside. Although even as I type that, I'm remembering that there is a special cover version of this, so that means getting four copies. Why WotC? Why? o_O
I really doubt that it isn’t a defect? I’m gonna watch the video when I get home in a bit (hopefully you and I have similar tolerances for…personalities I apparently can’t criticize) and see if it looks like an intentional design thing, but that seems pretty egregiously foolish if it is.

Remove ads