D&D General Deck of Many Things rerelease fixed (or not?)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Interesting.

My copy (from my FLGS) was delivered this week alongside a deck of replacement cards. As you say, the ones in the box have paper bands and the replacements are shrink wrapped.

Neither set seem to be warped as far as I can tell.
Wait - you got a set that included cards, and then "replacement cards" SEPARATELY?

That is not how it worked AT ALL in my area.

Yep. Mine were in paper bands.

Huh. All of the ones I've seen opened (all perfect) were shrink-wrapped in plastic.

Sounds like they may have used several methods of replacement (including some "hope for the best" with the original run, which I can't be certain, but don't think WotC intended that to be the case).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wait - you got a set that included cards, and then "replacement cards" SEPARATELY?

That is not how it worked AT ALL in my area.

Huh. All of the ones I've seen opened (all perfect) were shrink-wrapped in plastic.

Sounds like they may have used several methods of replacement (including some "hope for the best" with the original run, which I can't be certain, but don't think WotC intended that to be the case).
Weird stuff can happen with big releases involving multiple third party distributors.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Weird stuff can happen with big releases involving multiple third party distributors.
Yeah, it really sounds like in Amazon's case the original run was already in their warehouses and they just held it for the new release date. Perhaps they checked them, returned the bad ones, resealed them, and then they warped over time like the other warped ones? I have no idea why you'd recall a run and then release them anyhow. Not on purpose.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Return via Amazon. No contest. Amazon makes it very easy. Then order a new set directly from WotC, especially if you want it budled with the DnD Beyond version.

From what I've been reading, I'd be hesitant to buy this from Amazon. Get it directly from the WotC store or from your local FLGS.

I ordered from WotC and got it in two days (I'm in the US).
It was a gift, so unless I get a cash refund this won't work - I either need to get an Amazon replacement (which I prefer not to risk) or get WotC to do it (which is what I am trying first - still haven't heard back from them).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It was a gift, so unless I get a cash refund this won't work - I either need to get an Amazon replacement (which I prefer not to risk) or get WotC to do it (which is what I am trying first - still haven't heard back from them).
Today is Martin Lither King Jr. Day, so that will cause delays. WotC is very good at making good on defective product.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Oh right! Easy to forget since I live in Stay-at-Home Papa World where there are no holidays (well maybe for the toddler, but not for the Papa).

I work from home, but have today off. But even then, when my wife asked me to go to the library and post office with her, the point that they'd be closed for the holiday didn't enter my mind.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Greetings,

We are currently experiencing a very high volume of contacts at this time, therefore there will be a slight delay in getting a direct response to your question or concern (ticket ID 3718522). We do not consider this resolved and we are very much looking forward to helping you as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Sincerely,
Wizards of the Coast Customer Service Team

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

Starmaster

Explorer
I'm glad to see that some folks are bringing this issue directly to WotC. If enough people go through WotC Customer Service with this issue, maybe they'll realize there's a problem with the stock being sold by Amazon (or one of the Amazon merchants) and get it sorted.

A lot of people don't realize that, when Amazon runs out of stock but one of their merchants still has some of the product, then the listing will change to say that you are buying it from such-and-such merchant rather than saying "sold by Amazon" and "ships from Amazon". This also occurs when one of their merchants offers it for a lower price than Amazon. For example, at the time of this writing, the default Amazon listing is showing "The Deck of Many Things" being sold by MTGbiz but being shipped (i.e. "fulfilled") by Amazon. Since this info is in small print in the right column under the price, many people don't pay attention to it. So I'm wondering if the bad stuff is actually being sold by Amazon or by one of their merchants.

Remove ads