D&D 5E Deck of Many Things manufacturing issue from review to delay to dndbeyond article.

GameMasters

Explorer
For the record, I never suspected you were faking it. Maybe I expressed myself poorly; what I was trying to say is that it looked to me like the warping on the cards was making it difficult for you to hold them flush.
no worries at all :) I WAS having a difficult time filming it haha! to be honest, I was using one hand to hold the camera and the other to hold the deck.. I was lazy and didn't break out the tripod (it was in the other room). For my follow up vid with all this new information from WotC, I did film it right, hopefully I'll get this new video dropped this weekend. :)

GameMasters

Explorer
There are times when skepticism is warranted, but your video wasn't one of them. I just wondered whether you got unlucky or whether it was a serious manufacturing problem. It appears to be a manufacturing problem, and to WotC's credit, they are taking care of it.
indeed. They even reached out to me via email and offered to replace it. It fully alters my stance on the product, I was on the fence as to if it was worth it, but should they be making good on replacing the defect and fixing it before it hits the public, that's a total approval in my book, regardless if it delays the release.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, it's a manufacturing defect that often slips past the tightest QC because it mostly shows up in non-factory environments (the printer is the ideal environmentfor a playing card). It can be repaired somewhat.through some homebrew shenanigans that dehydrate them (bake rhem in the oven, or blowdry them, etc.), and then preserved through douvle sleeving to keep out moisture. Or, get a replacement from Customer service that isn't defective.

There are basically two kinds of cards here in his deck: the defective ones, and the non-defecrive ones. The defective ones are all in the same environments, so their curl is going to match pretty well as they get the same ambiant mositure. Ideally none would be defective, and that is quite doable.

The curl is caused by the paper changing size due to moisture.
That's a well known issue, though. What I don't get is why they'd even make the whole card foil like that when humidity is a common thing. I live in California and we aren't exactly known as a humid state, being mostly desert and all. :p Even with that my foil MTG cards almost universally end up curved.

What they could have, and I think should have done would be one of the following.

1) Give us cards with fantastic artwork and nice gloss.
2) Give us cards that have portions that are embossed. Imagine a card with a dragon on it where you could feel the individual scales.
3) Go the pokemon route and just foil a smaller portion of the card to highlight the picture in some neat way, that way the foil isn't covering enough of the card to cause the curve.

On the size thing, this guy works in a print shop and seems to know his stuff, including how foils cause issues when cutting the sheets. If I take him at his word, then it seems like this is more than just foils causing size issues by warping later on.

Edit: I meant to add that the perforated things almost looks like they intended it to represent, well, a card box. I think we've all opened boxes where we pull of a perforated portion and fold back the top of the card deck to reveal the cards. It might not have been the best choice for them to make on such an expensive product, but it seems like that could be why.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
View attachment 316749that's some front and back
Seeing those hit me with some serious nostalgia, enough to make me go looking for my own copies. To me surprise/relief, they were exactly where I thought they were:

DoMT.jpg

Remove ads