D&D General Deck of Many Things rerelease fixed (or not?)

darjr

I crit!
@BenRiggs

Ben Riggs talked to WotC about defective Decks of Many Things still in the channel. Which must be a huge continuing headache for them. <https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...yfq9RTVVh4fKUgcl&id=777800284&mibextid=WC7FNe>

If you didn't know, defective Deck of Many Things have been available on Amazon for $99. (Link in comments.)
I asked WotC how/why defective products were getting into the hands of customers. Today, I received the following response from Wizards:
"This week, we learned that some North American customers who bought The Deck of Many Things set are receiving defective copies. Though we requested vendors to return all defective products to us, it appears some orders were fulfilled with them. Wizards apologizes for this unfortunate occurrence and is committed to making it right for fans.
We’re working through vendors now to make sure fans get a replacement as soon as possible. Wizards will be letting fans know the steps they can take to replace defective product via updates on D&D Beyond."

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
But what if I don't use D&D Beyond? I still haven't heard back from WotC Support since I got that email about a "slight delay." It has been 10 days, which seems more than "slight" to me. I wrote back to them today to see what was up. Sigh.

Clint_L

Hero
Related side-note: I finally got down to doing more than skimming this book, and I love that the first chapter is devoted to the history of the Deck of Many Things in its various incarnations dating back to the 1970s. I really love that kind of historical context, and I hope that WotC keeps adding these features that give the game's various editions and creators their due.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
But what if I don't use D&D Beyond? I still haven't heard back from WotC Support since I got that email about a "slight delay." It has been 10 days, which seems more than "slight" to me. I wrote back to them today to see what was up. Sigh.
DnDBeyond is their communications tool......so that makes sense.

Now, if you've emailed them, they should have gotten back already, ime.

Starmaster

Explorer
It could be that WotC has been getting after Amazon about this problem and that Amazon is now trying to clean house. For the past couple of days, Amazon has listed the deck as a Pre-order item, saying it will be released on Feb 15. Or, perhaps Amazon and the Amazon merchants have all just temporarily sold out.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It could be that WotC has been getting after Amazon about this problem and that Amazon is now trying to clean house. For the past couple of days, Amazon has listed the deck as a Pre-order item, saying it will be released on Feb 15. Or, perhaps Amazon and the Amazon merchants have all just temporarily sold out.
I would be surprised if Hasbro had the juice to make Amazon do anything. The power dynamic is the other way around with merchants, as far as I know.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I would be surprised if Hasbro had the juice to make Amazon do anything. The power dynamic is the other way around with merchants, as far as I know.
Yeah, but WotC reaching out, along with lots of complaints and returns, could lead to Amazon taking action against the vendors. The vendors are likely the lowest on power dynamic here. Anyone getting the warped cards from Amazon should file complaints against the vendors, return the product, and leave a bad review. The vendors will get the message if they haven't already (or ignored) gotten the news of the recall.

I just got my copy (I mentioned earlier in the thread how I couldn't find one, but a friend was able to find a store copy and get it for me; I just got it earlier today) and it literally one of the most gorgeous D&D products I've purchased. No bent cards at all! My only issue is that the box that holds the cards and the card interpretation book doesn't have distinct art for front and back, so I keep starting to open it upside down, causing the cards to slip out of their niches (I've caught it in time so far, so the cards and the book haven't fallen out everywhere thankfully). While the book holds them neatly in place at all times that you aren't actually opening it upside down, I wish they had something that would hold the cards in so they don't start to slip out when this happens. I just have to remember to check that the side that opens is on top before attempting to open it.

If I have a complaint about the content, it's that the Deck of Wonder (i.e "Adventurer's First Magical Card Deck", in other words, the Deck a DM is more likely to actually use in campaigns) doesn't have its own printed card set (the set contains the 22 cards of the Deck of Many Things and the 44 cards of The Deck of Many More Things), but also doesn't have a list that would allow you to use the regular DoMT to draw equivalent cards, just a list of cards from a regular card deck. It's obvious that the list of cards from the Wonder deck that they are in exactly the same order as equivalent cards in the list from the original deck (Vizier = Chancellor, Sun = Day, etc.) and both use the exact same cards from a regular card deck, so it's easy to substitute. But it's annoying to have the DMG open to do so, instead of just printing them in the chart accompanying the Deck of Wonder.

Also - the very first card drawn from the Deck (as everyone wanted to have a fun test run) was The Void lol...

Last edited:

Remove ads