D&D 5E Deck of Many Things Preview

Paraxis

Explorer
Some other Wizards of the Coast deck of many things offerings to help ease the missing bits of this preview.

This is an excerpt from an old dragon magazine that has a different version of the art work.
http://www.wizards.com/electronic/patches/Drmg148A.pdf

Here is a random card generator, or drawer, anyway it is cool.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dmt/dmt.htm

I assume it is cool to post links to both of those things since they are on wizards site.

My brother has these cards from the original dragon magazine laminated and have lasted him a very long time.

Last edited:

From the front page.
So the entry only goes on for one more page, and that one has to have the rest of the information about the cards so no to little artwork. What I am getting at is they waste a whole page of the DMG to give images of 12 of the 22 cards in the deck, that is pointless. If they had at least given the 13 cards in the smaller deck some people might find it useful to photocopy the pages and make a deck, this way all it does it take up a page.

I'm so confused by this thought. I sincerely doubt the developers sit there with 300 or so pages and go "well we want to put in a full page of art for the Deck of Many Things, so I guess we'll have to take out these 4 magic items." More likely, they put in everything that they have, then trim art or fit the layout so they can have everything in a smaller amount of pages. It just so happened that they had a full page available for the Deck of Many Things.

Paraxis

Explorer
I'm so confused by this thought. I sincerely doubt the developers sit there with 300 or so pages and go "well we want to put in a full page of art for the Deck of Many Things, so I guess we'll have to take out these 4 magic items." More likely, they put in everything that they have, then trim art or fit the layout so they can have everything in a smaller amount of pages. It just so happened that they had a full page available for the Deck of Many Things.

Then maybe they could squeeze in a thirteenth card for a full use trimmed down deck, or not put in a full page of recycled art and commissioned a new piece of art or added another page of information useful to DM's.

Ulrick

First Post
WotC could have done much more with this preview, given that they're raising money for the Children's Miracle Network.

For the $25,000 fundraiser goal, we get an artifact recycled from previous editions (and not even the whole artifact description) and some recycled artwork from another product? That's it? Really? And the content is going to published soon anyway.

Maybe I shouldn't be upset, yet WotC's lackluster effort comes off just as a cheap way of promoting the DMG.

If you want to donate, just skip WotC all together and go directly to the Children's Miracle Network. You can even look up your local CMT hospital at this link:

http://childrensmiraclenetworkhospitals.org/Hospital/Search

Online donations to my local hospital went as low as $25.

It looks like you can send $10 for a general donation on CMT's front page

Heck, look up a local dance marathon and send a few dollars to that. :)

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I don't mind them reusing the art if it means the money saved can go towards some more awesome new art piece, I just hope its not a trend repeated throughout the book. This is for a few reasons, a) I think its one of the better designed deck of many things b) I'm guessing not many people, in the grand scheme of things, will own or have seen madness at.. and c) I do own it and it means my deck fits in nicely with 5e

As for the rest of the preview its ok, I prefer the deck to be toned down a little, but I suppose it would be the focus of a campaign rather than random treasure, so its not too game breaking if its a focal point

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Actually, it did. While we didn't get the whole enchilada, we now know that they aren't afraid to put a totally game-breaking item into the DMG. I loved the 1E DoMT, and I'm happy to see it's not gimped like other versions have been.
Yes agree - while we see very little of the card results, the 3 we got show they're willing to have gonzo powerful and cool effects with their legendary items. It very much reminds me of the 2e deck of many things. WHICH IS AWESOME BABY YEAH!
Plus I havent seen that art before. I think it looks great. I dont mind at all if they recycle art - as long as it's good art. And this be good.

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
I find it interesting that this magic item is on page 162 of a 320 page book, traditionally magic items have been in the last part of the book.

Also we need to come up with a few different versions of a +1 Sword of Nunyabisniz, I am thinking of a shortsword ability that if you drop an enemy to 0 h.p with it you can hide yourself and the body as a bonus action, or places an illusion over the attacker and target making it look like they are whispering to each other and not fighting.

Nebulous

Legend
I still use the one from the Dragon Magazine so many years ago. I also really like the Green Ronin one.

haha, me too! I use the Deck at least once in every campaign, it's by far my favorite D&D magic item. I'm pleased that they're going back to the 1e power level.

Remove ads