• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deep Water and Shoals II

Xael

First Post
Jonah tries to figure out the map.

OOC: Got the map. Not sure what I should say about it though. I quess that Lupe is bright enough to spot the coordinates himself...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Turning over in his bunk, Malachi lets out a particularly loud snore - loud enough to jolt him from his slumber. His eyes snap open and his body tenses, the fight or flight instinct kicking in before his brain clicks in and he grins sheepishly to himself realising what it was that roused him

"Lady b' praised!" he grins as he stretches and yawns, makes himself presentable then wanders out his cabin door to see...

dead_radish

Explorer
Malthas nods. "Well, Anansai, you have the first of it. There are actually two reasons to fight - you can fight to show your skill, and not to wound - those are the fights we do now. And there are fights where you will win, or die. There are no other kinds, no matter what people tell you. If you are fighting to show, there are rules, there are poses, there are points." He grins. "I won't teach you to fight like that. When you fight to win, you do what you need to do - if you follow the rules and die, you might feel good, but you'll still be dead." He takes up a basic pose.

"Let's see what you have, then." He grins.

Bob Aberton

First Post
(OOC: Thanks, all, that's more like it...I don't have time to do justice to a DM post tonight, but I'll use this as a placeholder; expect the DM Post ASAP...sorry about the delay, hope you don't mind...)

Bob Aberton

First Post
Jonah,

You both pore over the map in the light coming through the porthole, or at least you do. Lupe paces around the tiny cabin with nervous energy, flexing his fingers and stroking his mustachioes.

He shuts the door a bit firmer and then turns back to you, keeping one ear cocked toward the door.

"Mr. Jonah," he says, after a long pause, "you see this position? You think there anything worth going there for, hey? What about this, we make port in Port Andorra, yes? This position is not so far; we hire a sloop or pinnace, hey? We sail to this place. We find anything worth money, we share it, equal-wise, hey?"

(OOC:
The map is very old, concievably dating back to the days of Kazan the Red. It is burned and stained almost beyond recognition; either it has undergone hard wear or someone has tried to destroy it. Furthermore, it is written in Drow, a language which to your knowledge is otherwise unknown on the Lands Under the Sun [ie the surface world]. As to the detail of the map, it is finally drawn, but the perspective is somewhat off. It is clearly of very little use for navigating, but the island which lies at the noted position is, from what you have seen of charts of the area, proportionately larger than the map indicates. All of this points to several conclusions - firstly, that the one who drew the map was no professional mapmaker, with little knowledge of proportion or perspective. Secondly, the fact that it is written in Drow indicates either that it was a Drow that penned it or that the writer wanted to take some pains to keep the information inside secret.)

Nicodemus,

"Thank y', Mr. Arfaliunium," Weaver says. She sips her tea, and says, "Well, I've got work to be about. But thank y' for the tea, an' for lendin' an ear t' what I have t' say. When we make port, I'll introduce y' to some of these Abolitionists I know - they'll be interested in what you an' y'r mates did in Standishtown...I expect it'll be a great help in settin' up their 'Underground Road' t' smuggle the slaves out of there, d'ye see?"

Malthas,

You and the Orc face off. Your cutlasses ring together, once, twice, three times, and then you are past Anansai's guard and Tuaana is tickling his throat. The Orc is a good fighter, considering. His grasp of form is weak, and Keralthian's Third Form is in any case a flashy gentleman duelist's stance, difficult to master and not as useful as the simpler forms against a determined offense. He has an exceptionally strong wrist, however; when you parry his blows the feeling that runs up your arm is reminiscent of parrying an anvil.

Vemuz,

You hear an indistinct murmur of voices, one of them distinctly Esperantish.

(OOC: Listen check, please...)

Malachi,

"Evenin', Mr. Legba," the Captain says. "Y'r just in time t' take an evenin' sight, if y' would be so kind. Y've recovered from y'r Standishtown adventures, then?"

(OOC: Profession: Navigation check, please...)

Xael

First Post
Being still rather interested in the map, Jonah however speaks to Lupe in an unsure tone: "I'm quite sure there is - or at least there has been - something worth looking for there, but I'm rather sceptical about we finding it. We only know the cordinates of the place, but who knows how large the area is. Or is the "treasure" in the bottom of the sea. And at the moment, I'm as good sailor as you're proficient in reading the text in this map. If we have time while Grace is in Port Andorra, I'm not really opposing the idea of going to check it out though. But I wouldn't get my hopes up."

Last edited:

dead_radish

Explorer
Malthas works his arm, sore already. "Well done indeed. You took a posturing form, and did well enough with it." He gestures at the other orcs. "See, there. It's not that hard to learn the basics, lads. Everyone pair up, and we'll put you through some paces."

Remove ads