• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defenders aren't very good at defending?

Stalker0

Legend
That's how it is in the rules. By the end of his turn, the paladin must be adjacent or engage (i.e. attack) his target marked by divine challenge. The paladin must do that every round otherwise the mark is gone and the paladin can't divine challenge next round.

The difference with my houserule is a paladin could walk up an attack a guy, and then use his mark on another guy 5 squares to try and pull him in too. Currently the paladin could not do that unless you used a ranged attack to mark the guy.

Narshal

First Post
The difference with my houserule is a paladin could walk up an attack a guy, and then use his mark on another guy 5 squares to try and pull him in too. Currently the paladin could not do that unless you used a ranged attack to mark the guy.

How is that mark maintained in your houserule?

Stalker0

Legend
How is that mark maintained in your houserule?

If the paladin ever moves away from his mark, the mark fades and can't be used on the next turn. Same as the current one, except the conditions are different.

Btw, if you want the ultimate defender, play a hospitalier paladin. There 11th power is scary. If you hit my friends they heal, whether you hit or not!! Combined that with all the other healing powers the hospitalier gets, and you jack up the survivability of your group. The hospitalier isn't as sexy as some of the other PPs, but it gets it done.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Also 4E is a team game. It's hard to be a defender if your allies makes themselves great target. Planting yourself next to an elites and twin striking all day makes it hard to distact the enemy. Blaster and archer might want to stay out the melee enemy's movement range. I have to say "back up" every encounter when I play my fighter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads