Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Bandeeto said:
Stavros was tremendously grateful to be given a chance at a normal life.

...Nolin took Tephis Birdhouse’s map (the one obtained from “Deepleaf”) to the temple of Morphat and paid for a Divination of the author’s name. He came up with Connor Hallowhorn. Nolin then wrote a very nasty (and catchy) song lampooning Hallowhorn, and started performing it....

Here, nicely juxtaposed, are one of Nolin's proudest moments and one of his most shameful. Stavros is now an honorable and productive member of society. Nolin's daughter Tasha calls him "Unca Tusky". The greatest good is done in little deeds like these.

Then again. Connor Hallowhorn turned out to be a mousy little scribe who just happened to draw up the map for my rotten brother. And Nolin jumped right in to mocking him and besmirching his name, without investigating futher. Nol still regrets this little incident more than just about anything else he's done in a lifetime of bad judgement calls.

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
Hey Bandeeto,

Talking about Shatter reminds me. You should post some of Arcade's old verbal components. We got hit with a bunch of Color Sprays last night in Sagiro's game, and everytime one went off, I thought "Jeeze your costumes clash!"

Sialia

First Post
Yah, yah, I promised I'd log in today and show off the verbals, only one thing and another, and all that.

Anyway, as long as Arcade is busy tossing Color Sprays and Shatters around, Honored Readers ought to know how they sounded. Pity I can't demo the somatics.

The usual mode was for Bandeeto to "cast" the spell in all its glory the first time he used a spell, and after that he'd just say "I cast Shatter" like your average gamer.

Except for Color Spray, which was so catchy we all liked to chant it along with him, and insisted on the full rendition most of the time.

Shatter:
"Operatic, cacophonic, stratospheric shriek,
Focussed locus hocus pocus hypersonic seek,
Broken, cracked and burst and wracked, shattered now
must you be,
Slivers, shards are in the cards,
And by the way: Shedubee!"

Color Spray:
"Technicolor paparazzi,
magnesium flash,
watch the birdie,
film 6:30,
geeze your costumes clash!"

Sialia

First Post
It's also worth noting that Kidcthulhu can actually sing, and frequently did (does?) when Nolin was casting.

I can't recall exactly which pieces correspnded to which spells at this point, but I recall that when Nolin cast a sonic attack it was quite, ah , er, plausible.

We all labored under the belief that Piratecat was more likely to allow a desperate act to succeed if the spellcasting were well roleplayed.

Cadrienne was very into the mathematics of her spells and I spent quite a while researching sacred geometries and architectures of the Real World to be able to draft technical drawings of the sigils she would inscribe while casting. This never worked out real well as a roleplaying shtick, but it did result in Piratecat giving her a really cool astrolabe as an item at one point, and Alix's player giving me a gift of a wonderful pair of D20s with the astrological symbols and planets on 'em. I've never managed to use them in gametime, but they are so very pretty they have a place of honor on the trophy shelf above my desk next to Audrey II, Dylrath's jawharp, Bun Bun, and The Bottle of Ultimate Wisdom.

I can't describe Velendo's spellcasting. Somebody else will have to. Economy of expression doesn't begin to describe the effectiveness of his technique. Maybe the woeful expressions of Tevye the Milkman and the comic timing of Billy Crystal gets a little closer. Maybe you just had to be there.

Sialia

First Post
Here's two more of Arcade's verbals:

Grease:
"Slip and fall and slide and sprawl, stagger, skid, and
stumble,
Topple, flop, and pitch and drop, totter, tilt and
tumble,
Perniciously lubricious, oily unguent vicious,
Lipoleic, oleo-, petroleum slick of suet,
Polyunsat, ceramide, sebaceous lipid do it.
Balsam and brilliantine, butter, lard of beast,
Dip and tallow adipose, glycerine and grease.

Mirror Image:
"Prism prisons laggard light,
Fly eye comports compound sight,
Psilocybin, icy high been,
Crystal silver dreams imbibin'.
Loosely shifting diamond view,
Crazed cracks cross the iris blue,

As future finis by veiled pupils pass,
So let me be seen,
Through the same darkling glass!"

Last edited:

Jairami

First Post
Good thing 2e rounds took a full minute! :)

<tries REPEATEDLY to say one of those in around 3 seconds>

<falls over twitching>

Last edited:

Blackjack

First Post
Sialia said:
Maybe the woeful expressions of Tevye the Milkman and the comic timing of Billy Crystal gets a little closer. Maybe you just had to be there.

Sialia's quite right; sadly Velendo's tone (when casting spells or otherwise) gets lost in transition to text. Sagiro adopts a world-weary, resigned, "why does this always happen to me?" tone and an accent reminiscent of Billy Crystal as Miracle Max. It's delightful.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Sialia, when the time comes, you should mention your palindrome casting method for "You know who".

Trying not to throw out spoilers!

The sonic spell was the Phoenix Shreak ability of Rider of the Flame. It was equivalent to Daze, but in 2nd ed. it caused an initiative penalty. I used to screach at the top of my range, which is about a b flat. I'm no soprano, but it certainly had an impact.

I was asked not to do that anymore.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Regarding Velendo's backstory:

Before he joined the Defenders, Velendo served as the local priest of Calphas the Wallbuilder in the tiny fishing village of Hunnerstide. He did very little work, preferring to sit in his small office, drinking slowly throughout the day until he fell asleep at his desk in the evening. Nothing ever happened in Hunnerstide, and Velendo was basically a lazy, crotchety, semi-devout drunkard.

All of that changed one day when Calphas spoke to him. Spoke to him! In his head! It was the most terrifying moment of his life, to realize that the Wallbuilder was paying even passing attention to him. The Voice told him that a ship would becoming to Hunnerstide within hours, further bound for a great city, and that he should be on that ship. No longer will you waste your life, the voice told him. In that city you will do good and tend to the flocks and get off your lazy ass.

He was 49 years old at the time, though he looked older.

Velendo packed his bags and was on that ship, but it never made it to the city. Instead, it was captured by minotaur pirates, and Velendo was spared only because the minotaurs were nervous about killing a priest. Their ship landed on some strange shore, and Velendo was marched down the gangplank and down a road, until he and his captors reached an old building of some sort. Though they didn’t speak his language, they made it clear that they expected him to go clean out the basement of that building. They gave him a broom.

Puzzled at Calphas’ strange design, Velendo took the broom, went down into the cellar, and started sweeping the dust out of old storerooms. It went smoothly for an hour or so, until the giant ants attacked. He swung his broom ineffectually at them and retreated, until they had backed him into a corner. It was unfair, he thought to himself, that Calphas’ will should be that he get eaten by giant vermin. “What kind of stupid plan is this, anyway?” he shouted at the heavens through the ceiling.

Then he backed into a hidden teleporter, and found himself in another cellar a thousand miles away, where the Defenders were just finishing up one of their early adventures.

The Plan has made a lot more sense since then.

In his first adventure, the party killed a small group of orcs. When one of the Defenders was injured, they all looked at Velendo expectantly. He stared back. “What?”

They suggested that he might be able cast a healing spell, a thing which had never occurred to Velendo. He tried it, and was shocked to discover that it worked! He could cast spells! Holy Concrete!

He didn’t really understand how they worked, though. In his next battle, he cast protection from evil on himself, and the visual effect was that a golden nimbus of tiny bricks surrounding him. “Hey, great,” Velendo thought. “Invulnerability!” That, as much as bravery, was why he simply interposed his body between an attacker and one of his comrades. He expected the bricks would stop the entire attack. Whoops. A short while later he desperately cast his second healing spell.

-Sagiro

Remove ads