Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
madriel said:
A cleric who didn't know that he could cast spells? :D

Yup! He had always been a lay cleric, unable to cast spells but still the shepherd of the church in his tiny, little town. He inherited it from his father, and his father before that.

Bandeeto

First Post
Jairami posted:
Good thing 2e rounds took a full minute!

<tries REPEATEDLY to say one of those in around 3 seconds>

<falls over twitching>

Of course, Arcade pronounced spells "in the language of magic!"

When casting in "real time" Arcade could contract the spells by pronouncing the first two letters of each line of the spell, strung together in one long word.

It sounded like cats trying to kill each other in a water barrel, and gave about the right tonality, I thought.

Of course, one problem was that I tended to write progressively longer verbals for higher level spells. I finally gave it up, as it was just getting too difficult as the spells increased to 4th and beyond. (Note: try not to set standards for yourself that you are not capable of surpassing.)

Bandeeto

First Post
Arcade’s Journal – Brownie Poker

...when Alix and I arrived at Ortigal’s, we found a surprise in store. Briorth and Imelda, Michael’s father and mother, were there. Imelda was nearly hysterical. (I quickly filled in Alix regarding Michael and his friend Frolic the faerie dragon.) The parents had found their house sealed against them, and Michael missing. We offered to help, of course. We gathered the party and Briorth and headed off through the forest. Sadly, we could not locate Velendo or Glimmer on such short notice.

On the way to the cabin we encountered Rofan, bizarre cleric and sometime-Defender, and he insisted on accompanying us. He has become even more strange since we last met, and I fear his sanity has departed nearly entirely....

...arrived at the cabin. Worse than we thought. The whole structure was sealed with wooden planks and pegs. In the mud outside the hut was written “Keep Out!” in elven script. We made several attempts to enter, but this resulted in Confusion repeatedly being cast upon the group. From the sound, it appears that many small beings inhabit the cabin. There are also strange chirping noises....

...the staff made an attempt to get me inside, but we wound up in a strange grey dimension and were eventually ejected back into reality, still outside the cabin. The staff would not explain the strange occurrence. In an attempt to bring the inhabitants of the house outside, I cast Irritation into the cabin’s interior. No effect, sadly....

...Alix, when bored and angry, is a serious threat to people and property. Unable to get inside, he began trying to burn down the cabin by tossing oil flasks down the chimney! Naturally this enraged Briorth, the cabin’s owner, who promptly attacked Alix with his axe. I honestly believe that Alix would have killed him had I not intervened by casting Sleep upon the woodcutter. While Rofan stayed behind to heal Briorth, we went in search of Frolic....

...Frolic is as demented as ever. Nolin and Alix accidentally stepped on the trapdoor which the dragon had rigged. This led to them sliding down a greased chute into a pool of icy water. Thankfully, I was alert and avoided the trap. Frolic was overjoyed to see us. He informed us that the local brownies had commandeered the cabin for their annual game of poker. Apparently it involves wagering with crickets. In exchange for promises of fruit pies, Frolic agreed to get Nolin and Alix some crickets for betting stakes, and to get them both inside....

...brownies promised to leave in one day, and let the two join the game. Michael was already inside, asleep on the floor. Alix and Nolin proved hopeless at brownie poker, rapidly lost their crickets, and were enchanted into sleep along with Michael....

...Rofan has become as dangerous as Alix, and cannot be trusted. I found the unconscious Briorth with antlers mounted upon his head, on all fours in the snow, stripped and coated in mud, and with a Log of Everburning placed under him to harden the mess. Rofan explained that he has chosen to heal only animals these days, and thought this might permit the hapless Briorth to qualify! I told off Rofan, and rescued Briorth. Brought the poor fellow home and cleaned him up, saving him from death due to exposure....

...returned next day to find the cabin spotless. Frolic was there with Michael, hale and hearty. Frolic tried playing breath-holding games with me again. (That is: he would try to use his breath weapon upon me, while I tried to hold my breath). I won.

I also refused to open the cabinets for him, but after I departed he did it himself. He then used the pots and pans to arrange water-pranks that Rofan walked right into....

...Frolic has informed Nolin that odd scents are in the air, and that the animals and plants in the northwestern forests have begun to act very strangely. Later, Oania the dryad confirmed these rumors....

...Michael happily reunited with his parents. I had a discussion with the staff regarding the benefits of cooperation! Returned to the Manticore with Alix and Nolin, where we met one Connor Hallowhorn. He turns out to be a half-elven ascetic monk of the order of Morphat, God of Knowledge. He had been hired by “Deepleaf” to copy the map to the Manticore, and was extremely displeased and saddened due to the slanders heaped upon him as a result of Nolin’s popular song. Nolin apologized profusely and agreed to make amends....

[Ed. As promised, here is Arcade’s verbal component for Irritation, which he cast this episode.

Irritation:
"Private itches, ants in britches, poison oak and ives,
Eczematous icthyosis, boils, wheals and hives,
Busy tongued insectile young,
Your nails flay fleshly strips,
The burning rash and stinging lash,
Of magic nettled whips!"]

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
Ah Brownie Poker. I loved that run. If only PC had let us actually play poker, instead of making us roll some dice, I might have won us a passle of crickets.

As a note, Fairy Dragons in PC's world love fruit pies. They're like some bizzare hybred of dragons and super villains from the back of 1970's comic books who could be bribed to give up their evil ways in return for Hostess snack products. The idea came orginally from Tom-Tom's player, Tremere, who did this in his college campaigns. It works. Always helps to know what motivates a being.

Bandeeto

First Post
As totally hilarious as the seanbaby sites are (and they really are), on with the story!

Arcade’s Journal – Bounty Hunters/The Flaming Manticore

...Alix informed us today that he sent an insulting and obnoxious letter to his father, Lord Tarim-Loial in Kindric, a few weeks ago. Plainly he is (again) inviting trouble. We are staying alert for bounty hunters just in case....

...relaxing with the group at the Flaxen Manticore. The trophy room is coming along well, and Stavros has been a wonderful addition to the inn. He only breaks heads when it is actually called for, and keeps order marvelously. One good tusked scowl from him settles the unruliest drunks.

Still no word from Grundo, although happy rumors have trickled into town that a bearded horror has been wreaking havoc upon the goblin tribes in the nearby mountains....

...yesterday at the Manticore I was sitting with Alix, Nolin, Tom-Tom, Tao, and Velendo at our usual table. Into the inn walked a huge man, wearing black armor and carrying a bizarre polearm. (I have since been informed that it is called a bohemian earspoon.)

He stopped briefly at the bar to speak to the bartender. From the seat next to me, I heard Alix say in a loud whisper “Oh damn!” I turned to find that Alix had activated his ring of Invisibility, and I immediately suspected a bounty hunter. The large fellow turned to stare at our table and did something with an amulet. He then walked purposefully over to our table and introduced himself as Kirykon the Tracker. After a brief and uninformative chat, he suddenly turned to the chair next to me and scooped up the invisible (and now apparently paralyzed) Alix. As he strode away I shouted an alarm, and began to cast.

At that moment a mangy, mongrel dog ran in from the kitchen and transformed into a gray-robed mage, wearing a necklace of golden globes. I cast Irritation on Kirykon, followed by Mirror Image on myself. The mage, trying to cover for Kirykon, cast Stinking Cloud into the crowded inn.

Tom-Tom somehow caused a giant squirrel of flame to leap out of the roaring fireplace and attack Kirykon. I tried to Spook the mage without success, so I charged him instead. As Tao moved to block the door, Kirykon struggled with the squirrel and tried not to drop Alix.

Velendo, sadly, had been caught in the ’Cloud. He managed to struggle over to the mage, and just as I struck the mage with my Wand of Shocking Grasp, Velendo vomited in his face. This led to a great deal of vomiting all around, turning the situation very messy indeed!

However, as Velendo was clawing at the mage’s robes he pulled one golden globe free of the necklace. It exploded with a fiery blast, tossing us around like matchsticks and killing the mage in the process. As we picked ourselves up, we noticed that the entire necklace was now hissing and smoking! Seeing this, Kirykon threw Alix at Tao and barreled past her out the door, leaving his polearm behind. Everyone leaped for cover.

Suddenly, the necklace whipped itself off the mage’s neck and flew out of the inn window into the sky, where it detonated in an earthshaking inferno, shattering windows in nearby buildings. (I currently suspect that Tom-Tom had something to do with the flight of the necklace.)

In the chaos, the badly wounded Kirykon made his escape with Lady Natalia Ballard’s horse and carriage. Tao tried to follow, but our ranger was unable to control her panicked horse! We hurried to extinguish the inn, which was now ablaze. This was quickly accomplished....

...Tom-Tom’s inquiries later revealed that Kirykon usually hires assistants while bounty hunting, and also that he has a morbid fear of fire....

...still suspicious of Lady Ballard, as her conveyance had been so very handy for Kirykon’s escape. I asked her again regarding her father’s business. She claimed that he was a stonemason, when previously she had called him a chicken farmer. However, within a day she had vanished, leaving a package for Alix. This turned out to be a large stone chicken. “Fillane Deepleaf” had fooled us once more! We mounted the chicken and the earspoon in the trophy room....

...while waiting for the Manticore to be repaired (the owner has said it will now be named the Flaming Manticore) Alix sent another letter to his father, asking to be left alone. We soon received a letter from Lord Tarim-Loial himself, the richest man in all Gaunt. He is coming here, to Rampart! He wishes to speak to Alix, personally.

Meanwhile, Rofan has come to see us with a request for aid from the temple of Galanna. It seems legitimate....

Last edited:

Bandeeto

First Post
Arcade’s Journal – The Lizard People

...Rofan brings word that Thayar, High Priest of Galanna, has been kidnapped while investigating the rumors of trouble in the northwestern forests. We had heard that the dwarven stronghold in the mountains had been attacked by orc war parties, and now this!

A strange ransom note arrived. Someone named Quaquiss is demanding a holy artifact, The Rod of Communion, in exchange for Thayar. After a discussion with the temple officials, we agreed to try to rescue the priest. They gave us the Rod, and a device to track Thayar....

...strange tracks, lizard-like, leading northwest. After an uncomfortable camp (we had to avoid an angry badger) we set forth. Tao got off to a bad start, leading us due south. (She claimed we were headed for the swamps, and got quite flustered when we informed her that there are no southern swamps!) After that she got back on course, and followed the tracks straight into a walking, lizard-like humanoid. We suspected that he had delivered the ransom note. Tao jumped him and they began to struggle. I Slept him, and we tied him fast....

...long discussion with the lizardman, who is named Baass and comes from the tribe of Saraass. It turns out he is actually quite friendly, and likes humans a great deal. He told us that Quaquiss is actually the chief of the tribe, a very large lizardman. The tribe’s shaman (Sislassis) died some years ago. The priest, Thayar, was apparently caught inside the shaman’s House of Seeing. Baass agreed to lead us northwest to his village. We learned a phrase in lizardman: “Quassqueee,” meaning “spends too much time in dreamtent.” Naturally it was being applied to Rofan....

...it is well that Baass is a doughty warrior. In the swamp we were ambushed by a flying, armored, helmet-shaped creature with numerous barbed tentacles. The battle was fierce, and Baass proved his worth in combat....

...Tao discovered the tracks of an orc war party. I Spider Climbed into a tree to get a better look, and saw them camped up ahead. After consulting with the group, I climbed back up and blinded most of the orcs with Pyrotechnics. We made short work of them. Searching the camp afterwards, we found strange news. The commander was carrying dispatches which stated that the Blue Assassin had escaped, and that a new Great Goblin must be chosen....

...felt we needed to corral the horses for their own protection before continuing on through the swamp without them. As we set up the barricade and began hobbling the horses, Baass seemed very anxious. He told us of a creature called the “Gaakgaak,” which has haunted this area for many years. Lizardman mothers use its name to threaten their children....

...just finished hobbling the horses when we heard screams of animal terror behind us. We whirled to find a gigantic two-headed humanoid reaching over the barricade to grab the horses. I cast Stinking Cloud full in its face with no effect. Everyone closed in, and a gruesome battle ensued. I sent off a few Magic Missiles, which seemed to injure the creature. Glimmer consumed a Potion of Ice Breath and breathed upon the creature, but even after many blows the thing refused to fall.

Nolin was very badly injured in the defense of his horse, Hemiola. (Sadly, the horse perished after all.) Finally, Tao severed the creature’s hand, which tried to scuttle away by itself! It was then that we understood the troll-like nature of the Gaakgaak, and began bombarding it with flaming oil flasks. After finishing the beast, we hunted down the hand and put it to the torch as well....

...got some rest, and then plunged into the swamp. We finally arrived at the village, which was surrounded by a moat. Alix and I Levitated, and were towed across.

We were immediately surrounded by guards, and things began to look a bit grim. However, Baass introduced us to Quaquiss, who in turn introduced us to Thayar, High Priest of Galanna. It turns out that the priest was not a hostage after all. He is a gruff old man, who told us that he preferred to solve problems in the wilderness itself, rather than staying “cooped up in a stuffy temple, even if the temple is made out of living trees.” The priest had requested the Rod of Communion, but Quaquiss’ Common is not very good and he had phrased the note badly.

The chief was very grateful and impressed that we had killed the Gaakgaak. Thayar thanked us for the Rod, took Rofan off our hands (whew!) and ordered a banquet for everyone. Glimmer created a magical pavilion with his Rod of Splendor to house the feast. We received a reward as well, two magical wooden chalices that purify food and drink....

...reported back to the temple in Rampart, and received their thanks and payment as well. We had a word with the dwarven ambassador, Tairablade. He informed us that Grundo (who dyes his beard blue) is the Blue Assassin. He was captured after slaying the Great Goblin and many other orcs, but then escaped. The war is going well, and the orcs have been unable to make any advances. As a matter of protocol, I took part in the traditional dwarven farewell ritual of head-butting with the ambassador. It seemed a good idea at the time, but my head still aches!

We were very pleased to learn that Stavros has bought the Flaming Manticore. He has even paid off his own bounty. Our rooms on the second floor are nearly finished, and Stavros has hired a new half-orc bouncer named Garak (“he works for coppers!”)....

...Nolin received a package, a bard’s spellbook. It was from “Fillane Deepleaf”, and trapped with multiple Sepia Snake Sigils. Naturally. Nolin decided that he didn’t care about the traps as long as he was able to learn some new spells, so he is now spending most of his time as a coat-rack....

...training for ten weeks! During my researches I have learned of a magical tome penned centuries ago by the elven mage Arkadine (my personal hero), and a priest named Horrus Incabulin. The book, the Horrus Arkadanian, was last seen at the Academy of Flamecraft in the south of Gaunt. This sounds to me like an excellent future quest....

...at Tom-Tom’s request, and using his funds, I have successfully reasearched Alimir’s Fundamental Breakdown. With this spell I was able to tell Tom-Tom how to combine Gutshaker (the dwarven brew), with Griffin Grog (a fine ale), and with Pisspuss (a fermented swamp-water beverage favored by the lizardmen). The resultant concoction, which we have named Badgerbite, carries an incredible kick. Tom-Tom is overjoyed....

...very excited. I finally had the funds to cast Familiar Enhancer I on Nyquil. His intelligence has been greatly improved (he can now understand Common Speech). Also, he now can release a cloud of purple dust while in flight that acts as a Feather Fall! One unforeseen side effect… my eyes now look like those of a great horned owl. A bit strange and unnerving in the mirror. I like it...!

Ed. Bonus! More of Arcade’s verbal spell components: :D

Pyrotechnics:
"Multimillions, megahit! Stallone and Schwarzenegger!
Laser lights and phoenix flights, a nitro kilokegger!
Spielberg, Lucas! Getting warm. Show takes town by firestorm.
The smoke, the flames, we're naming names, pure pyrotech
impaction,
Blockbusting blast, a stellar cast,
Take one, roll film, and ... Action!"

Stinking Cloud:
"Breathe deep breaths of this putrid perfume,
Gangrene green choking vaprous spume,
Sulfur eructations, musky skunk deflations,
Nauseous nostrils flare at the flatulence of nations,
Effluvius Vesuvius, your bile brings reports,
On essence of incontinent otyugh shorts,
And lastly the bouquet beheaded camels couldn't miss,
The full-bodied stench of crusty dwarven spirit piss."

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
Ok, I don't know where to begin the commentary tonight.

So much ground to cover!

The bit about the head butting.
Ok.
So, we were all in real life at King Richard's Faire -- a Rennaisance Faire outside of Boston, and Kidcthulhu and Bandeeto tried their hand at one of those carnival games where you have to hit a thingum with a mallet to try to ring a bell. (King Richard's Faire is the least historically accurate Rennaisance Faire ever produced--don't get on my case about it--it seems that after viewing the hash the competition was making of the job of historical re-enactment, the goodly folks at KRF gave up altogether and just decided to have a good time. )

So anyway, the mallet thing.

Apparently it was pretty difficult and it took quite a few attempts for one of them to ring the bell. I don't remember who succeeded at last--I think it may have been Kidcthulhu, who is surprisingly strong for her size. And in a strange moment of pure jubilation, feeling very masculine and pumped, Kidcthulhu and Bandeeto actually did headbutt each other--I can't type I'm laughing myself to tears recalling this--ok, whew--and nearly knocked each other senseless.

"Ok" they both said, reeling around the fair. "Why did we DO that?"

Maybe you had to be there. I remember trying very hard to be sympathetic and keep a straight face at the time. Maybe that's why I'm still cracking up about it all these years later.

Anyway, this moment of stupidity parodied in Piratecat's campaign, immortalized for you by me.

What else was there?

Does anyone still have a copy of Alix's letter to his dad? It was special. Something about "Get stuffed, you flatulent bastard"?

Also, we heckled Tao about the Southern Swamps episode for years. If you ever really want to get up her nose, try heckling her about that one, Wulf.

Cadrienne actually went and spent a proficiency slot on Stellar Navigation after hearing about this incident, not realizing that technically, it's only meant to be used at sea, and having no idea that she was going to develop a morbid fear of boats.

Which will be another story for another day.

The proficiency actually did turn out to be useful later when Cadrienne's foster son wanted to grow up to be a pirate and she subverted his ambition by teaching him the art and getting him apprenticed to a pilot. See Dylrath's earlier assertion that he knows where to find the current Defenders a top notch navigator for their new boat.

I try never to waste anything.

Bandeeto

First Post
In our defense, we had not actually intended to head-butt, but only to pretend. Sadly we both misjudged the distance. Those who were present said it sounded like two melons smacking together. It was... unpleasant, and very disorienting.

Arcade had a proficiency in Etiquette, and he tried to use it to impress nobility. It was a partially failed check that led to the incident with the ambassador. (Made the Etiquette check, failed the Wisdom check!)

Incidentally, although we teased Tao for years about the "southern swamps", we also had a great deal of fun with Nolin about the Sepia Snake Sigils. Every time he would get nailed by one, someone would put him in the corner and hang a coat on him. This tended to start a trend, as all the arriving patrons would also hang their coats on him. If you've ever visited KidC and P'Cat's house, you've seen the coat rack that Nolin resembled nightly!

KidCthulhu

First Post
The strangest thing about the head butting incident is that I really did see stars! I always thought this was just a cartoon thing. But, yep, you do see little twinkly lights.

Don't worry about laughing, Sialia. I still laugh about it, too. That was the funniest part; poor bandeeto and me sitting stunned on the ground, holding our heads and laughing. We couldn't see straight, but we could laugh.

And I'd like to point out that the two headed troll episode was the first Defender's episode run by yours truly. I've only run a few others, but this was my first. And I almost killed Nolin, trying to prove that I wasn't biased. D'oh.

Remove ads