D&D 5E Defensive Duelist fix?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The more rolls in general the slower things go. There must be a moderate amount of rolls for the game to resemble D&D, but even the options that currently exist could be streamlined to have less bloat.
I think we are just generally at odds, then. I’m quite comfortable with the number of rolls, and most groups I see roll more than the game actually asks them to.

True, but a very sad reflection of the game when the best way to contribute to two out of three pillars of the game as a martial class is "Be a spellcaster." :(
That is a valid complaint/concern but it's the nature of 5e. Magic takes up the majority of the mechanical and narrative space. you really have to approach the game with the assumption that all classes are inherently magical and just channel it in different ways.
There are a few ways you can avoid spell casting and still get some good non combat ablities like skulker(such an under-appreciated option), dungeon delver, skilled, and actor.

The more rolls in general the slower things go. There must be a moderate amount of rolls for the game to resemble D&D, but even the options that currently exist could be streamlined to have less bloat.

It will take roughly the same number of attacks to down the beast whether I make them on my turn or with my reaction on theirs. If anything additional ways of getting opportunity attacks based on a feat speed combats up by downing more combatants in earlier rounds.

auburn2

Adventurer
  • Duelist’s Parry. When another creature hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for that attack, potentially causing the attack to miss you.
  • Duelist’s Riposte, when an attack misses you, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against the creature that missed you.
  • If you cause an attack to miss you by using Duelist’s Parry, you can use Duelist’s Riposte as part of the same reaction. If you do so, you cannot use either ability again until you have gone a round without using your reaction.
I think this is a bit much. I think a better way to buff it would be to allow the parry to apply for every subsequent attack until your next turn instead of one attack (like a shield spell) and allow it with any object being held in your hand. I think that would make it a very good feat without the repostes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think this is a bit much. I think a better way to buff it would be to allow the parry to apply for every subsequent attack until your next turn instead of one attack (like a shield spell) and allow it with any object being held in your hand. I think that would make it a very good feat without the repostes.
Doesn’t feel as much like a duelist, however, IMO.

I think pointing out the similarities to Shield is interesting. A level 18 wizard can have shield as an at-will spell due to a class ability (they get 2 at-will spells 1st or 2nd level spells). Base defensive duelist is weaker than shield. That supports increasing it, I think.
I disagree, Defensive Duelist is a feat, available at level 1, not a class ability available at 18th level.

+2 to +6 to AC for a single hit is a decent bonus. For a class that does not have a lot of Reaction abilities, like a Druid, it is a good feat, especially if melee is a last resort.
Making it a half feat, would make it more appealing.

I don't think the feat needs more than that.

Remove ads