• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deities and Demigods ~ Thank You God!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
For a review of the book, gohere for a review of both the art and the rules (the rules is by me).

In brief: art is amazing. Book is full of rules... that are, upon analysis, cruddy.

Ancalagon

Information

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:
I'm really curious as to why WOTC decided to put stats for gods in this book. Pretty much every post on the threads for this book say something along the lines of "nice book...I'll never use the stats, but everything else is good." So why waste so much space on them? Did they do ANY market research? Is it just to placate the horde of old-schoolers out there?

Well, I'd say its about time they did something just for old schoolers...

1. "Demon" and "devil" are still entirely inseparable from the "tanar'ri" and "baatezu" names, and the Blood War, unfortunately, is still canon.

2. Despite the ceaseless grumbling of Planescape fans, the Great Wheel detailed in the MotP is much closer to that setting than the original MotP. Sigil is referenced and the Lady of Pain is still around.
Most of the Planescape titles for planes are still retained, such as Celestia, Bytopia, Ysgard, etc.
"Yugoloth", rather than "daemon" (as it should have been), was used.
The Lords of the Nine concept from 2nd Edition, despite being inferior to the 1st Edition material, was retained.

I could list many others.

For once, why can't you "new schoolers" cut us old timers some slack!? We have to endure your crap, so put up with ours a bit. :mad:

Incidentally...the stats in D&Dg could easily be used as "uber avatars" by those of you who shudder at the idea of a statted deity...god forbid that a deity's powers be quantified, as we all know a pantheon of omnipotent beings is entirely possible...and preferable...!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Information

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
The chief God of the Halflings ranks higher than the God of the Gnomes.

Hmmm....

I'll tell you what really frightens me. Kurtulmak, the deity of KOBOLDS, far surpassing Asmodeus in power. And they both dwell in the Nine Hells!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Information said:

I'll tell you what really frightens me. Kurtulmak, the deity of KOBOLDS, far surpassing Asmodeus in power. And they both dwell in the Nine Hells!

Well using the Creature Catalog the big A will still kick tons of ass.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'm sorry. I just don't see the point. Stats for Gods.
Ok, they're _gods_, folks. Call me a stick-in-the-mud 2nd edition gamer. Giving stats to gods is just dumb, IMHO.

I can't possibly think of any reason why I'd ever need this book. I've already got the Legends and Lore from 2E, the Planescape "On Hallowed Ground" book - which is just EXCELLENT, BTW, and the FR 2E "Faiths and Avatars" which is also one of my all-time favorite books. The last is a bit harder to port to 3E, but the concepts are amazing, especially if you game in FR (I don't), but still. An awesome book in its own right.

Florin

First Post
Wow, and here I was actually thinking about using the D&Dmg book to bestow some powers upon the players in my game... There are uses for stats for gods. For instance, what if I run a game where all the characters are gods? :eek: If the gods don't have stats, I suppose that would make character creation real easy, huh?

In a 1st-20th level game, stats for gods probably aren't needed, but there are people who play higher-powered campaigns than that. Also, it's just fun to compare one god against another and play a little battle out in my head. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
ColonelHardisson said:
They probably did research and found out that all the vociferous protesters on the internet don't really represent the general gaming public.

In best "Gabby" Hayes impression:

Been sayin' that fer years!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads