• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demon with a Glass Hand 2.0 [IC]

Creamsteak

Explorer
This is the second arc of my campaign on the boards called Demon with a Glass Hand. While this thread will not require previous knowledge to understand, it may help to know a few general ideas of what happened before.

A trade caravan carrying a mysterious cargo was attacked while dealing with a tribe of nomads in the desert. The caravan guards and merchants were slaughtered, at least as far as anyone could determine. The enemy that attacked included a small contingent of demons summoned from an abyssal disk in the sky.

The demons were surprised and astounded when some of the travelers that were there that day more than destroyed the poor Vrocks and Retrievers. Stranger though, a creature that existed partially on the ethereal plane also appeared. The wraith was quizic, arrogant, and didn't seem particularly distressed that the demons were beat down. He asked, rather planely, to be allowed to investigate the stone cart containing some peculiar item. When he was denied, he quickly lashed out in anger... but he dropped... surprisingly easily.

The remainder of the Caravan, a meager five travelers, fled with the cargo from the stone container. They sought out an audience with the living god Undine. They soon discovered that the green gauntlet they possessed had strange properties. When the gauntlet was examined by a pair of priestesses, one of them became dominated by the hand. A quick but short battle followed, which was broken up by the intervention of Undine herself.

Three of the five original group members left in search of something at a place called the Monolith of Water. Shard and Haros, that remained, were sent a letter by a cleric of antonidas hiding in Undine's city. They were given a powerful scroll in exchange for a simple task: to take a book off the short man's hands. They agreed.

Not long after leaving, the city was assaulted by an impossibly powerful dragon that, simply out of boredom, torched a great deal of the lower city. When the beast was confronted in Undine's court, it was revealed to be none other than Drevin, a rival of the Virtues. After a discussion on the war to come, Drevin left with a few strange words regarding the situation at hand. Undine assembled her court to discuss how to deal with the announced incursion. Shard suggested an interesting plan, albeit without realizing it entirely. The non-combatants would be funneled through the Serpent's Gate in order to make defense of the city a central task. Haros was tasked with leading the citizenry through the plane of shadow to the city of the Goddess Clare, while Shard vowed to help defend the city with all of her strength.

This thread picks up a bit later. Shard and a few other strangers have been thrown together into a combat unit to help defend the city. We pick up the story (as I usually do) with a battle. The characters will be forced to fight against a wide range of opponents with varied techniques and power levels. While Shard is the only story carry-over from the previous games, I do intend to eventually pick up that plot line, but for now (and a while) the focus is going to be on the defense of the city.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Pardon me if the map's a bit overly plain and the general feeling is a bit hurried. I want to hit the game off nice and solid, and give myself something I can use to learn the characters and get a good grasp on the game hopefully.

The way I run situations like this, you can start anywhere within the red dashed outline. You pick any square there, and that's where you begin play. I "usually" roll initiative for everyone, but in this particular case I'd like it if you rolled it with invisible castle, then pick your starting space.[/sblock]

Your unit (consisting of the 4 PCs) is positioned in one of the eastern market squares when an explosion severely damages one of the segments of the city walls. Your group has probably had a very limited time to get familiar with each other (no more than a day), and most likely hasn't yet become too friendly with each other. After the walls are breached, you can expect some attackers to come through, or potentially from above the walls. You don't have much nearby support, but on the other hand at least the civilians are out of the way.

[sblock=Combat]You have the first round to reactively cast any defensive spells/coordinate tactics/etc. After that you'll have to decide when to cast additional preparations and when to attack your enemies. The area within the red outline is the starting area. The big gray circles just represent squares of heavy debris (I forgot to add light debris around them, will do later). The large gray circles and blocks represent the city walls which are 50 feet high here. The lighter yellow areas represent structures. They are roughly 20 feet high. [/sblock]

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled0.gif
    Untitled0.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
(Shard begins in L21)

As the city wall is assaulted and is engulfed in a titanic blast, Shard prepares. She whispers the Invocation of Passage, and contorts her hand into spiritsign, waving it from up to down to sheath herself in a silvery envelope of unstable space that transitions at seemingly random...but in fact highly controllable...from the world of solids, and the world of spirits. She flickers freely in and out of sight, skipping over spaces like a badly recorded image.

It's clear that unless one times an attack just right, there's a very good chance she simply won't be there when it strikes.

(using the one round to cast Greater Blink)

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
(Elend starts in N18)

Elend looks up as the wall shatters under the force of the assault, and the lenses in his goggles twist and click furiously as present and future blend together, flickering shapes already seeming to leap over the walls in his mind's eye. Pulling a pair of glittering crystal blades from his belt, he kindles them to life with a spark from his mind, eliciting a deep-hued glow.

(Use prep round to manifest Offensive Prescience, free actions to charge two Deep Crystal daggers. Total 14 pp spent)

Bloodweaver1

First Post
(Caladan begins in Q15) Initative: 21

The dark tattooed warrior stands fearlessly in front of the main gate. Extending from his hand, with razor sharp edges, is an inky black sword of pure cold, pulsating energy. After quickly drinking the contents of a small vile a confident smirk crawls onto his face as his skin turns into hard, ruff leather just in time to meets the hordes of the enemy charging at him.

Swift Action: Make UMB Keen (5min)
Move Action: Imbue UMB w/ Psychic Strike for 4d8
Standard Action: Drink Barkskin potion
Free Action: Displacement Cloak (20% miss chance)

[sblock=Combat Summary]Offensive
Speed: 30ft, Init: +5, HP: 112,
Umbra Mind Blade, Att: +24/+19/+14, Dam: 1d8+11(+3d6+1d4), Crit: 17-20x2
Defensive:
AC: 34, Touch: 17, Flat-Footed: 29 (constant 20% miss chance),
Fort: +17, Ref: +17, Will: +11[/sblock]

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
Korgan (P16)

The large cleric flinches slightly at the explosion. Grimacing, he turns toward the wall, uttering a prayer for strength and drawing his mighty sword. The promise of combat sends a shiver of pleasure down his spine. "Stand firm! These cowardly swine will not prevail against us!"

[sblock=Combat]Initiative: 5
Cast Bull's Strength
Draw greatsword[/sblock]

Creamsteak

Explorer
Initiatives
Caladan 25
Elend 10
Abyssal Raptor Calvalry 8
Shard 5
Korgan 5

The first creatures to pierce the wall are abyssal goblins riding awakened abyssal raptors. They come in through the breach, riding at full speed through the openning. They are vicious yapping winged goblinoid riders on medium sized armored raptor mounts. While they are extremely powerful, they don't have the organization and training to act as a trained unit. They are typically used to insight terror in enemy defenders first and foremost.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled0.gif
    Untitled0.gif
    72.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Map.gif
    Map.gif
    37.8 KB · Views: 167

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Caladan Duskblade

As the enemies of the city come crashing through the gate, they are immediately greeted by Caladan’s zeal and more importantly his Umbra Mind Blade. He says nothing and strikes fearless into the hearts of his foes.

Move Action: Q15 to V14 (trying to avoid AoO as best as possible)
Standard Action: Attack abyssal Raptor at W14

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Elend slides across the battlefield swiftly, one of his crystal blades flicking out to cross the distance to his wounded target.

OOC: Using Shot on the Run, moving to P14 (25') then throwing at the same target as Caladan so I get Opportunistic Strike, attack at +24 (+22 with range penalty) for 1d4+4d6+16 damage (normal 1d4+3, +5 prescience, +6 opportunistic strike, 2d6 deep crystal, 2d6+2 holy). After that, move back to L18 with the other 25' of move I get.

Starman

Adventurer
Korgan unleashes a primal battle cry and grants the blessing of his sword, Grimnur, upon one of the foul beasts.

[sblock=OOC]If one of the riders has charged him, Korgan will use a full-attack action on it. +20/+15/+10, 2d6+7/18-20/x2. Otherwise he will use a charge action to move and attack the nearest one. +22, 2d6+7/18-20/x2. [/sblock]

Remove ads