• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Desert of Desolation Gallery is up!!

I'm surprised so many people are excited about the gelatinous cube. Do y'all have a lack of square shaped object around the house? I could whip one up from Legos in a pinch at the size I need.

I can't imagine how disappointed I'd be to buy a booster and have... hey, a piece of square plastic. :\

Vocenoctum

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
What was your other Rare? And what is so unimpressive about the quarter swarm?

I'm not sure whether someone said it here or on the maxminis forums, but I think the swarm minis really should have been square if they were going to design them as quarter swarms. It makes them easier to put together to form the actual swarm sized mini. It also makes it easier to stand the "swarmed" minis on top of them too.

Olaf the Stout

I think swarm minis should be flat, or at least able to stand a figure on. How else do you swarm? :)

There is a lot of hate / dislike for swarms which I understand but keep in mind two things

4e-

Different rules and standards

Size flexibility-
Now swarms can be made bigger (use 9 for a huge) and they can persue PCs down 5 foot hallways.

Personally- I like them though I wish they were on a square base for the idea of "sizing".

Vocenoctum said:
I think swarm minis should be flat, or at least able to stand a figure on. How else do you swarm? :)

I didn't like the hog-piled rats and spiders either.

1) they didn't function well with other figures

2) From the distance they looked like a manure pile ...and that stinks for a figure

MarkB

Legend
megamania said:
There is a lot of hate / dislike for swarms which I understand but keep in mind two things

4e-

Different rules and standards

Size flexibility-
Now swarms can be made bigger (use 9 for a huge) and they can persue PCs down 5 foot hallways.

Personally- I like them though I wish they were on a square base for the idea of "sizing".
Don't get me wrong, I think the Swarm minis in this set are highly practical - flat enough to stand a 'swarmed' character's figure on, and if you put four together, you have a properly flexible swarm that can conform to any set of four linked squares the way they're supposed to.

I just think they should come in sets of four, for backwards-compatibility. It's not like four of those swarm figures would take up more space, or cost any more to produce, than any one humanoid Common figure.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Hobo said:
I'm surprised so many people are excited about the gelatinous cube. Do y'all have a lack of square shaped object around the house? I could whip one up from Legos in a pinch at the size I need.

Now THAT would freak out the characters: "It's a cube of giant Lego! AAAIIIEEEEE!!!!"

Ant

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
What was your other Rare? And what is so unimpressive about the quarter swarm?Olaf the Stout
Hey Olaf! I believe still I owe you an email regarding spare minis. :eek:

With regards to the swarm, I was was unimpressed that it was a quarter of a swarm. I just felt a little ripped off. But, hey, I don't mind the old "mound 'o vermin" swarms so there ya go ...

My other rare was the sphinx.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
As far as I can tell, most of these are NOT 4E art. They are monsters that will appear in 4E , but I don't think there is any evidence that most of them are 4E art. The Troll and Ettercap definitely are, and I'd bet the Yuan-ti are also. But, I don't know if we know the rest are based on the new looks.

Get my cast tomorrow. I should have a much better feel then. I can't remember what I posted here earlier, but I'm really dissappointed that there are no desert humanoids, and we didn't need another copper dragon this soon after the first one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads