• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Desert of Desolation Gallery is up!!

Brakkart

First Post
Instead of another previews article, it seems WotC have jumped ahead and simply posted the gallery for the whole set online. You can find it here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mg/dod

Some very nice figures in there, though not enough to warrant me buying boosters this time, I'll stick to buying singles I think. I'll certainly be wanting some of each of the Yuan-ti, Bone Devil, Spined Devil, Large Fire Elemental, Gelatinous Cube, and Bar-Lgura.

Beckett

Explorer
It passes my main test- I don't think there were any Rares I'd be unhappy to get (my first pack of.. Unhallowed, I think, had a Devourer as the rare. That was a let down).

Sammael

Adventurer
I am amazed by all the positive comments. In my opinion, the set is well below-average in terms of sculpts and paintjobs (nowhere near Blood War, Angelfire, or Giants of Legend), and slightly above-average in terms of creatures chosen. However, roughly half of the set consists of resculpts of minis that have already been released in one of the earlier sets.

Look at the minis: not a single one has properly painted eyes (whereas even some uncommons from previous sets have them); most rares have only one or two colors; there are two minis (Nightmare and Yuan-Ti Champion) that have armor which is apparently glued onto them (i.e. it looks ridiculous). I could go on all day long...

Ant

First Post
The good (cube, ogre, nightmare, umber hulk) are very, very good and the bad (the yaun-ti, ettercap, most of the "PC" minis, the manticore) are horrid.

The horsie is nice, though ...

Sammael said:
I am amazed by all the positive comments. In my opinion, the set is well below-average in terms of sculpts and paintjobs (nowhere near Blood War, Angelfire, or Giants of Legend), and slightly above-average in terms of creatures chosen.

I agree.

Looks like we're back to the "ogres and trolls as rares" thing.

Sammael

Adventurer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I agree.

Looks like we're back to the "ogres and trolls as rares" thing.
It must the business model for the first few sets (and let's not delude ourselves - DoD is the first 4E set) to get new buyers to purchase more boosters.

Remove ads