• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing the Perfect D&D

NoWayJose

First Post
I think that the whole point of having rules is to assign values to different choices and allow the players to choose between them. This XP system sets up a choice: do you want to spend GP on something of worth, or do you want to level up? You can't do both.
That's a good point. If I were faced with that choice after every adventure, I'm not sure if would be a fun or annoying tactical decision. XP is a very powerful currency, after all.

Yeah - I think that different classes (or power sources) should spend GP in different ways. Wizards spend GP on arcane experiments, Fighters and Thieves spend GP drinking and whoring, Clerics spend GP on tithes, etc.
A soldier, a barbarian, a cleric, a paladin, a wizard and a monk return from an expedition with a cartload of treasure. They can hoard all their gold, but they're highly encumbered, plus rumours of their exploits have gotten around, so they risk being waylaid by outlaws or taxed by the King's men at a toll road. So they decide to spend something at the nearest town.

The rogue and barbarian go drinking and whoring. The soldier polishes his armor and repaints his coat of arms and sends a magic telegram to his mother. The wizard's spellbook is high-maintenance and sucks up all his gold. The paladin gives all his money to the church. The cleric gives only half of his money to the church and spends the other half on whores. The ascetic monk meditates (he gave up his share of the treasure).

'Frivolous spending' XP system:
Does the rogue, barbarian and soldier get 100% xp from frivolous spending? Does the paladin get nothing because his donation wasn't anonymous? Does the cleric get 50% xp because the donation wasn't anonymous but the whoring was frivolous spending? And the monk and wizard get no xp?

IMO, I would avoid a mechanic that raises these kinds of questions.

If D&D is about tactical combat and about skill challenge mini-games, then I could imagine adding a 3rd element - a tactical resource-based mini-game where you have purchasing power and spend money for mechanical incentives (influence points for every gp donated to the church, temporary Charisma for drinking and whoring, etc.) but I wouldn't know how to do that in a way that's fun and simple to implement.

LostSoul

Adventurer
If D&D is about tactical combat and about skill challenge mini-games, then I could imagine adding a 3rd element - a tactical resource-based mini-game where you have purchasing power and spend money for mechanical incentives (influence points for every gp donated to the church, temporary Charisma for drinking and whoring, etc.) but I wouldn't know how to do that in a way that's fun and simple to implement.

I have added that 3rd element to my hack: At the end of each in-game month, I make a reaction roll for the settlements the PCs have been in; there's a table of modifiers to the roll. The reaction roll sets the default reaction for NPCs in that settlement. There's a different roll and set of modifiers for the PC's influence in town (kind of a "rulership" score). It's been pretty easy to keep track of.

Spending GP in settlements also levels them up, allowing access to more specialized NPCs and gear to buy.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, I kind of disagree- kind of.

The illusion that does damage is phantasmal killer- and since it isn't real damage, I wrote it as lethal Charisma damage.
Here we could easily go off on a long sidetrack about the definition of damage, which I'd rather not; suffice it to say that in this particular example shouldn't Phantasmal Killer be some sort of straight save or die? (or go against Con. rather than Cha. due to the heart attack the victim is having?)

But assuming that you're referring to phantasmal image: Keep in mind that my phantasmal image spell is like a combo of the old school spectral force, massmorph, veil and others. It offers a lot of creative possibilities. I kept it as a nondamaging spell in order to compensate for its versatility.
At very low level when you can only affect one sense it's mighty hard to do damage with it - but at higher level I have no problem with a damage-causing illusion*. The caster has to be careful how it's done, though. Yes it's versatile. Yes it's limited only by what the caster (or player) can dream up. And that's the whole point of illusionists. :)

* - to reinforce this you might want to specify what senses can be affected by what level of illusion. 1e did this: Phantasmal Force (Ill-1) could only affect sight; Improved Phantasmal Force (Ill-2) got sight and hearing; Spectral Force (Ill-3) got all 5.

Good point. Here's how I would probably run it- I'd let you knock someone prone that way, and the rock pinning them would keep them prone until they disbelieved.
Automatic disbelief when a rock big enough to knock you flat doesn't hurt when it hits you, I'd say; and that defeats the purpose.

Sure- but that's not necessarily the same as damage. I could see convincing a creature it was gravely wounded and having it act appropriately until it realized it was all smoke and mirrors.
Convincing a creature it's gravely wounded is exactly the same as convincing a creature it's been heavily damaged, ain't it? Pain is pain no matter the source... :)

I didn't write this as clearly as I could have- I assume you're referring to phantasmal image- my intent is that the "spend an ___ action to change its appearance" clause lets you do things like have you illusory goblin speak or attack, while the "move it x distance" clause would work well for your illusory wall. I might need to rewrite that to make it more clear.
OK, though I'd be a bit harsher: maintaining concentration on an illusion is *all* you can do in a round - no movement, no other actions, nothing; and you're defenseless except for always-on magic e.g. Ring of Protection.

Lan-"'pain is pain no matter the source' might just have become my new DM motto"-efan

the Jester

Legend
Lanefan- thanks for continuing the discussion on illusions. It seems that your take on them comes out of 1e, when I would run them pretty much like you suggest. The "no (hit point) damage from illusions" thing I'm taking from 3e, although- again- it's all still subject to change. Anyway:

...suffice it to say that in this particular example shouldn't Phantasmal Killer be some sort of straight save or die? (or go against Con. rather than Cha. due to the heart attack the victim is having?)

Anything that you think of as "save or die" is pretty much being modeled as ability damage of one sort or another (see Death Spell, Flesh to Stone). There are three reasons for me dealing Cha damage (and note that it's lethal Cha damage, so it kills you if you reach 0): 1. It's an illusion, so therefore it is psychosomatic; 2. Death Spell does Con; 3. It makes Cha more valuable (since an earlier comment that Int, Cha and Str seem less valuable than the other stats, I've been keeping an eye open towards rectifying that).

...you might want to specify what senses can be affected by what level of illusion. 1e did this: Phantasmal Force (Ill-1) could only affect sight; Improved Phantasmal Force (Ill-2) got sight and hearing; Spectral Force (Ill-3) got all 5.

True, but ventriloquism was a 1st level spell, and you could use cantrips to provide odor or taste.

My theory is that it isn't which sense you're doing so much as how many that makes an illusion more powerful and difficult to cast (higher valence/level).

Automatic disbelief when a rock big enough to knock you flat doesn't hurt when it hits you, I'd say; and that defeats the purpose.

Well, it hurts, it just doesn't do any actual damage. The creature thinks it does, though.

Convincing a creature it's gravely wounded is exactly the same as convincing a creature it's been heavily damaged, ain't it? Pain is pain no matter the source... :)

Sure, but once it disbelieves, the pain goes away.

the Jester

Legend
ARMOR, HELM & SHIELD

Creation: For a creature to create magical armor, helms or shields, it must know the Craft Magic Armor ritual. Procedures for crafting armor et. al. include bathing, heating, cooling, etching, engraving, filligree, bejewelling, leafing, etc.

The basic cost for creating magic armor is 5,000 gp times the square of the enhancement bonus. It requires two weeks per point of enhancement bonus, and it requires one procedure per point of enhancement bonus. To this add the time, money, etc. of any powers.

The basic ingredient required to make a suit of magic armor, shield or helm is the skin of a creature of a level equal to thrice the enhancement bonus with an AC of no less than 15 + the armor's enhancement bonus

Identifying Magic Armor: The easiest way to identify magic armor is to wear it in battle and see what happens.

Use: Typical armor just needs to be worn. Most of the time, its bonus applies to AC (and Reflex, in the case of a shield), but 10% of armor also grants its bonus to Fortitude and 10% of helms also grant its bonus to Will.

ARMOR et. al. TYPES
When generating magic armor, the following charts will determine exactly what is found.

D% Roll --- Armor et. al. Type
01-10 --- Leather armor
11-20 --- Studded leather
21-30 --- Chain mail
31-40 --- Scale armor
41-50 --- Banded mail
51-60 --- Plate mail
61-70 --- Full plate
71-77 --- Light shield
78-85 --- Heavy shield
86-90 --- Cap
91-95 --- Helm
96-00 --- Great helm

d% (Armor) --- d% (Shield) --- d% (Helm) --- Bonus/Powers
01-35 --- 01-50 --- 01-40 --- +1 enhancement
36-50 --- 51-60 --- 41-56 --- +1 enhancement and one power
51-54 --- None --- 57-60 --- +1 enhancement and two powers
55 --- None --- 61 --- +1 enhancement and three powers
56-71 --- 61-75 --- 62-80 --- +2 enhancement
72-77 --- 76-81 --- 81-83 --- +2 enhancement and one power
78-79 --- None --- 84 --- +2 enhancement and two powers
80 --- None --- None --- +2 enhancement and three powers
81-84 --- 82-86 --- 85-88 --- +3 enhancement
85-87 --- 87-90 --- 89-90 --- +3 enhancement and one power
88-89 --- None --- None --- +3 enhancement and two powers
90 --- None --- None --- +3 enhancement and three powers
91-00 --- 91-00 --- 91-00 --- Cursed

d% (Armor) --- d% (Shield) --- d% (Helm) --- Power
None --- 01-28 --- None --- Alliance
01-07 --- 29-34 --- None --- Dragonslayer's
08-23 --- None --- 01-20 --- Dwarven
24-35 --- 35-56 --- 21-30 --- Energy Resistance
36-41 --- None --- None --- Ghost Touch
42-51 --- 57-70 --- None --- Immovable
52-59 --- None --- None --- Poison Resistance
60-65 --- None --- 31-35 --- Stealth*
None --- None --- 36-65 --- Strongmind
66-76 --- 71-75 --- 66-75 --- Swiftness
77-84 --- None --- None --- Swimming
85-00 --- 76-00 --- 76-00 --- Vitals Protection

*Leather or studded leather armor or cap only.

Alliance (shield)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 6,000 gp; Time: 60 days; Ingredients: The teeth of a pack of five dire wolves killed all at once.
Effect: As an interrupt when an adjacent creature is targeted by an attack, you give it the shield's bonus to AC and Reflex against that attack. You can recharge this ability by burning an action point. (You can burn an action point any time you have one and can take a free action, even if you need to recharge your ability to spend an action point.)

Dragonslayer's (armor or shield)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 1 year; Ingredients: The heart of a dragon.
Effect: Dragons take a -3 penalty to attack you, you gain resist 10 against the breath weapon of dragons and you reduce the severity of a dragon's critical hit on you by 2d4.

Dwarven (armor or helm)
Creation: Processes: 1; Components: 3,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The beard of a dwarven warrior of at least 5th level.
Effect: As a minor action once per day you can take an exta second wind. (You regain hit points equal to your highest hit die.)

Energy Resistance (armor, helm or shield)
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 6,000 gp; Time: 12 days; Ingredients: The heart of a creature with resist 5 or better of the type granted by the potion.
Effect: You gain resist 5 against one type of energy, as determined on the chart below.

d12 Roll --- Type of Resistance Granted
1-2 --- Cold
3-4 --- Electricity
5-6 --- Fire
7-8 --- Lightning
9 --- Necrotic
10 --- Psychic
11 --- Radiant
12 --- Thunder

Ghost Touch (armor)
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 12,000 gp; Time: 20 days; Ingredients: The ectoplasm of an insubstantial creature.
Effect: You don't do half damage to insubstantial creatures and creatures cannot phase through you.

Immovable (armor or shield)
Creation: Processes: 1; Components: 1,000 gp; Time: 4 days; Ingredients: The heart of a dwarf.
Effect: Reduce the distance you are maneuvered, pulled or pushed by 2 squares.

Poison Resistance (armor)
Creation: Processes: 1; Components: 5,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The blood of a venomous creature of at least 3rd level.
Effect: You gain resist 2 against poison damage and poison ability damage and drain.

Stealth (leather or studded leather armor or cap)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 3,000 gp; Time: 2 days; Ingredients: The whiskers or feet of a 4th or higher level creature with a +3 or better bonus to checks to be sneaky.
Effect: You get a +1 bonus on checks to be sneaky.

Strongmind (helm)
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 15 days; Ingredients: The brain of a mind flayer.
Effect: You gain resist 5 psychic and cannot be forced to make an attack against your will or regard an enemy as an ally.

Swiftness (armor, helm or shield)
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 20 days; Ingredients: The feet of a quickling.
Effect: You gain a +1 bonus to initiative.

Swimming (armor)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 1,000 gp; Time: 5 days; Ingredients: The swim bladder of a fish of at least medium size.
Effect: You gain a swim speed of 20', and the armor does not hinder your swimming.

Vitals Protection (armor, helm or shield)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 5,000 gp; Time: 9 days; Ingredients: The sternum of a 3rd or higher level creature with damage reduction.
Effect: The severity of critical hits that you take is reduced by 2d4.

WEAPONS

Creation: For a creature to create a magic weapon, it must know the Craft Magic Weapon ritual. Procedures for crafting weapons include quenching, engraving, etching, filligree, wrapping, tempering, etc.

The basic cost for creating a magic weapon is 5,000 gp times the square of the enhancement bonus. It requires two weeks per point of enhancement bonus, and it requires one procedure per point of enhancement bonus. To this add the time, money, etc. of any powers.

The basic ingredient required to make a magic weapon are the claws of a creature of a level no lower than thrice the enhancement bonus.

Identifying Magic Weapons: The easiest way to identify magic a magic weapon is to use it.

Use: Typical weapons just need to be wielded in battle. Most of the time, its bonus applies to attacks and damage, although there are exceptions; 25% of magic weapons apply their bonus only to attack or damage.

WEAPON TYPES
When generating magic armor, the following charts will determine exactly what is found.

d% Roll --- Weapon Type
01-05 --- Arrows (1d10)
06-07 --- Awl pike
08-10 --- Bastard sword
11-13 --- Battle axe
14-17 --- Bolts (1d10)
18-21 --- Broad sword
22-23 --- Bullets (1d10)
24 --- Club
25-29 --- Dagger
30-32 --- Dart
33-36 --- Flail
37-40 --- Glaive
41-44 --- Great axe
45-48 --- Great sword
49-50 --- Halberd
51-52 --- Hand axe
53-55 --- Heavy crossbow
56-57 --- Javelin
58-59 --- Lance
60-61 --- Light crossbow
62-65 --- Longbow
66-69 --- Longsword
70-73 --- Mace
74-75 --- Maul
76-78 --- Quarterstaff
79-80 --- Ranseur
81-83 --- Scimitar
84-86 --- Shortbow
87-90 --- Short sword
91-92 --- Sling
93-96 --- Spear
97-98 --- Throwing axe
99-00 --- War hammer

d% --- Bonus/Powers
01-35 --- +1 enhancement
36-50 --- +1 enhancement and one power
51-54 --- +1 enhancement and two powers
55 --- +1 enhancement and three powers
56-71 --- +2 enhancement
72-77 --- +2 enhancement and one power
78-79 --- +2 enhancement and two powers
80 --- +2 enhancement and three powers
81-84 --- +3 enhancement
85-87 --- +3 enhancement and one power
88-89 --- +3 enhancement and two powers
90 --- +3 enhancement and three powers
91-00 --- Cursed

d% --- Power --- Notes
01-02 --- Anarchic --- None
03-04 --- Axiomatic --- None
05-14 --- Bane --- None
15-16 --- Caustic --- None
17-26 --- Deadly --- None
27-30 --- Defending --- Melee only
31-36 --- Distance --- Ranged or ammunition only
37-44 --- Flaming --- None
45-52 --- Frost --- None
53-60 --- Glowing --- Melee, thrown or ammunition only
61-62 --- Holy --- None
63-64 --- Jagged --- None
65-69 --- Lethal --- None
70-72 --- Maneuvering --- Melee only
73-74 --- Poisonous --- Melee, thrown or ammunition only
75-79 --- Returning --- Thrown only
80-85 --- Shock --- None
86-88 --- Speed --- Melee or ranged only
89-91 --- Terror --- None
94-98 --- Thunder --- None
99-00 --- Unholy --- None

Notes: The notes describe which types of weapons are eligible for the power in question. Ranged weapons include thrown weapons. Powers without notes can be placed on any type of weapon.

Anarchic
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The innards of a creature with the Chaotic keyword of at least 5th level.
Effect: When you attack a creature with the Lawful keyword, such as a devil, modron or inevitable, you get an additional +1 bonus on attacks, damage and critical severity. This weapon counts as chaotic for purposes of penetrating damage reduction.

Axiomatic
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The brain and heart of a creature with the Lawful keyword of at least 5th level.
Effect: When you attack a creature with the Chaotic keyword, such as a demon, slaad or chaos beast, you get an additional +1 bonus on attacks, damage and critical severity. This weapon counts as lawful for purposes of penetrating damage reduction.

Bane
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 6,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The heart of a creature with the keyword that this weapon will be bane against of at least 3rd level.
Effect: This weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when it hits a creature against which it is bane. To determine the type of creature the weapon is bane against, choose based on its creator or roll on the chart below (which is obviously far from exhaustive).

d20 Roll --- Creature Type
1 --- Demon
2 --- Devil
3 --- Dragon
4 --- Dwarf
5 --- Elemental
6 --- Elf
7 --- Giant
8 --- Goblinoid
9 --- Golem
10 --- Halfling
11 --- Human
12 --- Kobold
13 --- Ooze
14 --- Plant
15 --- Sahuagin
16 --- Shapechanger
17 --- Spellcaster (includes wizards, priests and spellcaster monsters)
18 --- Undead
19 --- Warrior (includes fighters and brute and soldier monsters)
20 --- Wolf

Caustic
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: Acid taken from a monster of at least 6th level.
Effect: When you hit with this weapon, the target also takes ongoing 2 acid damage (save ends on a 10+).

Cursed
Creation: Accidental.
Effect: This weapon appears to be a normal magic weapon until you become bloodied once wielding it, and then its true power becomes apparent and any positive abilities fade. Henceforth you cannot be rid of the weapon until a remove curse ritual is performed and your first action in any combat must be to draw it. When you wield a cursed weapon, you have a -1 penalty to initiative, a -2 penalty to all defenses and critical hits on you gain a +1d8 bonus to their severity.

Deadly
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 7,500 gp; Time: 9 days; Ingredients: The fingers of a 3rd or higher level fighter.
Effect: You gain a bonus of +1d6 to the severity of critical hits you inflict with this weapon.

Defending (melee only)
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 15,000 gp; Time: 90 days; Ingredients: The shell of a 3rd or higher level creature with the turtle keyword.
Effect: While you wield this weapon, you get a +1 bonus to AC.

Distance (ranged only)
Creation: Processes: 1; Components: 2,000 gp; Time: 5 days; Ingredients: The feathers of a 3rd or higher level creature with a fly speed of at least 90'.
Effect: This weapon's attacks can go an extra 3 range increments, and you suffer no penalty to attacks for the first four range increments.

Flaming
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The ichor or blood of a 4th or higher level creature with the Fire keyword.
Effect: When you hit with this weapon, you deal an extra 1d4 points of fire damage.

Frost
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The tongue or liver of a 4th or higher level creature with the Cold keyword.
Effect: When you hit with this weapon, you deal an extra 1d4 points of cold damage.

Glowing (melee, thrown or ammunition only)
Creation: Processes: 1; Components: 1,000 gp; Time: 3 days; Ingredients: The essence of a will-o-wisp.
Effect: As a minor action, you cause this weapon to shed bright light in a 20' emanation and dim light for an additional 20'. This effect lasts until you spend a minor action to douse the light.

Holy
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The heart of a creature with the Good keyword of at least 5th level.
Effect: When you attack a creature with the Evil keyword, such as a devil, demon or yugoloth, you get an additional +1 bonus on attacks, damage and critical severity. This weapon counts as good for purposes of penetrating damage reduction.

Jagged
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 15,000 gp; Time: 50 days; Ingredients: The horns of a peryton.
Effect: When you hit with this weapon, you also inflict ongoing 3 damage (save ends on a 10+).

Lethal
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 6,000 gp; Time: 15 days; Ingredients: The gears of a nimblewright.
Effect: This weapon's base critical range doubles.

Maneuvering (melee only)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 5,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: Six kobold ears.
Effect: When you hit with this weapon, you also maneuver the target 5'.

Poisonous
Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 25,000 gp; Time: 50 days; Ingredients: The fangs of a snake of 6th or higher level.
Effect: When you hit with this weapon, you also inflict ongoing 1d3 Strength damage (save ends on a 12+).

Returning (thrown only)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 2,000 gp; Time: 2 days; Ingredients: Lodestone from a meteor.
Effect: When you throw this weapon, it returns to you after the attack resolves.

Shock
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The static organs of 3 shocker lizards.
Effect: When you hit with this weapon, you deal an extra 1d4 points of lightning damage.

Speed
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 20 days; Ingredients: The feet of a quickling.
Effect: While you wield this weapon, you gain a +1 bonus to initiative.

Terror

Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 7,500 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The eyes of a 4th or higher level undead.
Effect: You may make melee attacks with this weapon against Will instead of AC.

Thunder
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The voicebox of a destrachan.
Effect: When you hit with this weapon, you deal an extra 1d4 points of thunder damage.

Unholy

Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The heart of a creature with the Evil keyword of at least 5th level.
Effect: When you attack a creature with the Good keyword, such as an angel, shedu or phoenix, you get an additional +1 bonus on attacks, damage and critical severity. This weapon counts as evil for purposes of penetrating damage reduction.

IMPLEMENTS

Creation: For a creature to create a magic implement, it must know the Craft Magic Implement ritual. Procedures for crafting implements vary according to the type of implement, but can include bejewelling, gilding, a vigil, washing, etc.

The basic cost for creating a magic implement is 5,000 gp times the square of the enhancement bonus. It requires two weeks per point of enhancement bonus, and it requires one procedure per point of enhancement bonus. To this add the time, money, etc. of any powers.

The basic ingredient required to make a magic implement is the heart of a wizard or cleric of a level no lower than twice the enhancement bonus.

Identifying Magic Implements: The easiest way to identify magic a magic implement is to use it.

Use: Typical implements just need to be wielded when casting spells. Holy symbols are an exception- you cannot use the holy symbol of another deity. However, you can perform a ritual requiring one day and 100 gp in ritual components to transfer the enchantment of a holy symbol to another symbol of your deity, although the base symbol used must be at least as valuable as the one you are transferring the enchantment from.

Most of the time, an implement's bonus applies to attacks and damage, although there are exceptions; 25% of magic implements apply their bonus only to attack or damage.

IMPLEMENT TYPES
When generating magic implements, the following charts will determine exactly what is found. Note that the predominant type of implement is the holy symbol; this is because of the fact that clerics use only one type of implement, while wizards use all the rest.

d20 Roll --- Weapon Type
1 --- Dagger
2-7 --- Holy symbol
8-10 --- Orb
11-12 --- Rod
13-14 --- Staff
15-17 --- Tome
18-20 --- Wand

d% --- Bonus/Powers
01-35 --- +1 enhancement
36-50 --- +1 enhancement and one power
51-54 --- +1 enhancement and two powers
55 --- +1 enhancement and three powers
56-71 --- +2 enhancement
72-77 --- +2 enhancement and one power
78-79 --- +2 enhancement and two powers
80 --- +2 enhancement and three powers
81-84 --- +3 enhancement
85-87 --- +3 enhancement and one power
88-89 --- +3 enhancement and two powers
90 --- +3 enhancement and three powers
91-00 --- Cursed

Dagger --- Symbol --- Orb --- Rod --- Staff --- Tome --- Wand --- Power
01-05 --- 01-02 --- None --- 01-04 --- None --- None --- 01-07 --- Deadly
06-10 --- 03-06 --- 01-08 --- 05-08 --- 01-10 --- 01-05 --- 08-10 --- Disorienting
None --- 07-11 --- 09-10 --- 09-10 --- 11-15 --- 06-15 --- 11-15 --- Finding
11-19 --- 12-14 --- 11-12 --- 11-15 --- 16-18 --- 16-17 --- 16-20 --- Flame
20-28 --- 15-17 --- 13-14 --- 16-20 --- 19-21 --- 18-19 --- 21-25 --- Frost
29-30 --- 18-23 --- 15-16 --- None --- 22-23 --- 20-29 --- None --- Glyphs
None --- 24-33 --- None --- None --- None --- None --- None --- Healer's
None --- 34-40 --- 17-20 --- None --- None --- 30-39 --- None --- Knowledge
31-39 --- 41-43 --- 21-22 --- 21-27 --- 24-26 --- 40-41 --- 26-30 --- Lightning
40-49 --- 44-51 --- 23-32 --- 28-36 --- 27-36 --- 42-51 --- 31-40 --- Magic Detection
50-54 --- None --- 33-40 --- 37-41 --- 37-45 --- None --- 41-42 --- Maneuvering
55-60 --- 52-57 --- 41-46 --- 42-48 --- 46-52 --- 52-60 --- 43-50 --- Metamagician's
61-62 --- 58-65 --- None --- 49-54 --- 53-55 --- 61-65 --- 51-53 --- Mortality
63-66 --- 66-73 --- 47-50 --- 55-56 --- 56-57 --- 66-67 --- 54-57 --- Radiant
None --- 74-77 --- 51-58 --- 57-66 --- 58-66 --- 68-70 --- 58-60 --- Rulership
67-73 --- 78-84 --- None --- 67-70 --- None --- 71-73 --- 61-68 --- Sacrificial
74-75 --- 85-86 --- 59-62 --- 71-73 --- 67-72 --- None --- 69-74 --- Sea
76-77 --- None --- 63-64 --- 74-80 --- 73-75 --- None --- 75-78 --- Smoke
78-81 --- 87-88 --- 65-74 --- 81-84 --- 76-81 --- 74-80 --- 79-83 --- Susceptibility
82-87 --- None --- 75-78 --- None --- 82-84 --- 81-83 --- 84-89 --- Swift
None --- 89-92 --- 79-88 --- 85-87 --- 85-87 --- 84-91 --- 90-91 --- Tenacious
88-91 --- 93-96 --- 89-91 --- 88-95 --- 88-94 --- 92-93 --- 92-95 --- Thunder
92-00 --- 97-00 --- 92-00 --- 96-00 --- 95-00 --- 94-00 96-00 --- Vulnerability

Cursed
Effect: This implement appears to be a normal magic implement until you become bloodied while wielding it, and then its true power becomes apparent and any positive abilities fade. Henceforth you cannot be rid of the implement until a remove curse ritual is performed and your first action in any combat must be to draw it. When you wield a cursed implement, you have a -1 penalty to initiative, a -2 penalty to all attacks and critical hits on you gain a bonus of +1d8 to their severity.

Deadly (dagger, symbol, rod or wand)
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 20,000 gp; Time: 20 days; Ingredients: The brain of a creature with an Intelligence of 18 or higher.
Effect: You gain a bonus of +1d6 to the severity of critical hits you inflict with this implement.

Disorienting
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 5,000 gp; Time: 9 days; Ingredients: Ichor from a mind flayer.
Effect: As a reaction when you hit a creature with this implement, the target is also dazed until the end of the next round. This ability recharges on a 16+.

Finding (symbol, orb, rod, staff, tome, wand)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 4,000 gp; Time: 7 days; Ingredients: The eyes of an elf.
Effect: As a full action, you concentrate on this implement and it helps you notice hidden things, such as secret doors or traps. The dm makes a secret Wisdom check for each hidden feature in the area to see if you notice it. You get a +3 bonus to each of these checks.

Flame
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 15 days; Ingredients: Ichor from a fire elemental.
Effect: When you hit with a spell attack using this implement, you deal an extra 1 fire damage. If the attack deals fire damage, you instead deal an extra 1d4 fire damage.

Frost
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 15 days; Ingredients: The tongue of an ice toad.
Effect: When you hit with a spell attack using this implement, you deal an extra 1 cold damage. If the attack deals cold damage, you instead deal an extra 1d4 cold damage.

Glyphs (dagger, symbol, orb, staff, tome)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 3,000 gp; Time: 4 days; Ingredients: A book that is over 100 years old.
Effect: As a full action, you gaze upon a written work and pass this implement before it. The dm makes an Intelligence check for you on 4d6. If you succeed, you can tell if the writing is magical and, if it is nonmagical, you can read the words for one minute.

Healer's (symbol)
Creation: Processes: 1; Components: 2,500 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The tears of a high priest of the Healing domain (cannot come from the creator).
Effect: Once per day per healing prayer, you may cast a healing prayer on a creature an extra time (so instead of only being able to use cure light wounds on a given creature once per day, you can cast it a second time on a single creature).

Knowledge (symbol, orb, tome)
Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 40,000 gp; Time: 100 days; Ingredients: The brain of a 9th or higher level creature with an 18 Intelligence
Effect: This implement imparts bits of knowledge to you. Once per hour, you may spend an action point to attempt to learn a brief snippet of information (up to three sentences of up to twenty words total) by making an Intelligence check. The types of information available and dice used for the check include: the name and basic description of a creature type (3d6), the basic customs of a tribe or community (4d6), the basic geography of an area (4d6), an overview of the politics of a nation or organization that you can name (4d6), the history of an area, community or nation (4d6) or information on the history of an individual whose name (or pseudonym) you know (5d6).

Lightning
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 15 days; Ingredients: The genitals of a shocker.
Effect: When you hit with a spell attack using this implement, you deal an extra 1 lightning damage. If the attack deals lightning damage, you instead deal an extra 1d4 lightning damage.

Magic Detection
Creation: Processes: 1; Components: 3,000 gp; Time: 3 days; Ingredients: The eyes of a 3rd or higher level wizard.
Effect: As a standard action, you cause any magic within a single square within a range of 20' to glow visibly. If something is invisible, you must make an opposed Intelligence or Wisdom check against the target's Dexterity (you choose the dice) or you cannot tell it is there.

Maneuvering (dagger, orb, rod, staff, wand)
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 25 days; Ingredients: Twelve kobold ears.
Effect: When you hit with a spell attack using this implement, you also maneuver the target 5'.

Metamagician's
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The heart of a 4th or higher level wizard.
Effect: You get a +2 bonus to metamagic recharge rolls.

Mortality (dagger, symbol, rod, staff, tome, wand)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 20,000 gp; Time: 35 days; Ingredients: The heart of a 5th or higher level undead creature.
Effect: When you attack an undead creature with this implement, you get an extra +2 bonus to attack and damage, and your critical range doubles.

Radiant
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 12,000 gp; Time: 20 days; Ingredients: The essence of a will-o-wisp.
Effect: This implement sheds bright light in a 40' radius and dim light for an additional 40' beyond that. The bright light deals 0 radiant damage to any creature that starts the round in it, which means that creatures that are vulnerable to radiant will be hurt.

Rulership (symbol, orb, rod, staff, tome, wand)

Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 50,000 gp; Time: 200 days; Ingredients: The tongue of a king who ruled over at least 1000 creatures.
Effect: While you wield this implement, you get a +5 bonus on skill checks to influence others.

Sacrificial (dagger, symbol, rod, tome, wand)
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 24,000 gp; Time: 60 days; Ingredients: The heart of a young humanoid virgin.
Effect: When you slay a creature with this implement, you may burn an action point to regain 1d6 hit points. (You can burn an action point any time you have one and can take a free action, even if you need to recharge your ability to spend an action point.)

Sea (dagger, symbol, orb, rod, staff, wand)
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 15,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The fat of a sahuagin.
Effect: Spells you cast with this implement function normally and without penalty underwater.

Smoke (dagger, orb, rod, staff, wand)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 5,000 gp; Time: 20 days; Ingredients: The ichor of a fire elemental.
Effect: As a standard action, you can create a 10' radius emanation of smoke. This smoke completely blocks line of sight and offers total concealment, even from adjacent creatures. This smoke lasts until the end of the next round and does not move with you.

Susceptibility
Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 30,000 gp; Time: 100 days; Ingredients: The liver of a slaad.
Effect: As a reaction when you hit with this implement, you may also cause the target to lose any resistance to acid, cold, fire, lightning, necrotic, psychic, radiant and thunder (save ends on a 10+). This power recharges on a 15+.

Swift (dagger, orb, staff, tome, wand)
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 15,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The feet of a quickling.
Effect: While you wield this implement, you get a +1 bonus to initiative.

Tenacious (symbol, orb, rod, staff, tome, wand)
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 20,000 gp; Time: 45 days; Ingredients: The tongue of a king who ruled over at least 1000 creatures.
Effect: Creatures have a -2 penalty to saving throws against effects created by this implement.

Thunder
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 15 days; Ingredients: The tongue of a thunderhawk.
Effect: When you hit with a spell attack using this implement, you deal an extra 1 thunder damage. If the attack deals lightning damage, you instead deal an extra 1d4 thunder damage.

Vulnerability
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 20,000 gp; Time: 60 days; Ingredients: The skin of an infant human.
Effect: As a reaction when you hit with this implement, you may also reduce the target's damage reduction, if any, by 5 (save ends on a 13+).. This power recharges on a 15+.

the Jester

Legend
WORN ITEMS

Worn magic items take up one or more areas on the body and are usually not consumable. They include cloaks, boots, backpacks, rings, amulets, scabbards, belts, gauntlets, etc. The difference in mechanical terms between armor and a worn item is that armor does not take up a body slot and primarily provides a bonus to defenses. A creature cannot usually wear more than one worn item in a single body slot, so you can't benefit from (for example) two pairs of magic boots or a cloak and a backpack simultaneously. The exception is rings- a creature can wear one ring on each hand (or more with a ring of rings).

Creation: For a creature to create a worn magic item, it must know the Craft Worn Magic Item ritual. Procedures for crafting worn items vary widely, possibly including washing, dyeing, embroidery, bejewelling, etching, varnishing, etc.

Identifying Worn Magic Items: The easiest way to identify magic a worn magic item is to wear it and experiment.

d20 Roll --- Worn Item Type
1 --- Boots of Elvenkind
2 --- Boots of Teleportation
3 --- Bracers of Defense
4 --- Bracers of Defenselessness
5 --- Brooch of Shielding
6 --- Circlet of Persuasion
7 --- Cloak of Displacement
8 --- Cloak of Elvenkind
9 --- Cloak of Poisonousness
10 --- Cloak of Protection
11 --- Cloak of Resistance
12 --- Gauntlets of Fumbling
13 --- Gauntlets of Ogre Power
14 --- Gloves of Missile Snaring
15 --- Gloves of Thievery
16 --- Healer's Brooch
17 --- Necklace of Adaptation
18 --- Ring of Invisibility
19 --- Ring of Shooting Stars
20 --- Scabbard of Sharpness

Boots of Elvenkind
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 16 days; Ingredients: Leather from a century old elven bull.
Body Slot: Feet.
Effect: You get a +3 bonus on checks to move silently.

Boots of Teleportation
Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 75,000 gp; Time: 1000 days; Ingredients: The glands of a demon with a teleport speed.
Body Slot: Feet.
Effect: As a move action, you can teleport 60'. This power recharges on a 16+.

Bracers of Defense
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 16 days; Ingredients: Wool from a century old elven sheep.
Body Slot: Arms.
Effect: As an interrupt when you are attacked by an attack that targets AC, you gain a +3 bonus to AC against the triggering attack. This power recharges on a 10+.

Bracers of Defenselessness
Body Slot: Arms.
Effect: These appear to be bracers of a beneficial sort until you are bloodied, at which point they lock to your arms until a remove curse ritual is performed on you. While they are locked to your arms, you suffer a -4 penalty to all defenses.

Brooch of Shielding
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 8,000 gp; Time: 16 days; Ingredients: The core of an earth elemental.
Body Slot: Neck.
Effect: You gain resist 4 force.

Circlet of Persuasion
Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 50,000 gp; Time: 150 days; Ingredients: The lips of a nymph.
Body Slot: Head.
Effect: You gain a +4 bonus on checks to persuade others and a +1 bonus on attacks vs. Will.

Cloak of Displacement
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 25,000 gp; Time: 60 days; Ingredients: The hide of a displacer beast.
Body Slot: Back.
Effect: As an interrupt when a ranged attack targets you, it misses. This power recharges on a 11+.

Cloak of Elvenkind
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 16 days; Ingredients: Wool from a century old elven sheep.
Effect: You gain a +3 bonus on checks to hide.

Cloak of Poisonousness
Effect: As soon as you willingly don this cloak, you begin taking ongoing 2d4 lethal ability damage to a random ability score (save ends on a 15+).

Cloak of Protection
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The scales of a bullette.
Effect: While you wear this cloak, you get a +1 bonus to your Fortitude, Reflex and Will.

Cloak of Resistance
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 20,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The core of a golem.
Effect: While you wear this cloak, you get a +2 bonus to saving throws.

Gauntlets of Fumbling

Body Slot: Hands.
Effect: Once you put these gauntlets on, they lock onto your hands until a remove curse ritual is performed. You suffer a -4 penalty on melee attacks and if you roll a natural 5 or less on an attack roll, you drop your weapon or implement.

Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 40,000 gp; Time: 90 days; Ingredients: The hands of an ogre.
Effect: While you wear these gauntlets, you gain a +2 bonus on Strength based checks. Additionally, as a reaction when you hit with a melee attack, you gain a +4 damage bonus. This power recharges on a 14+.

Gloves of Missile Snaring
Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 15,000 gp; Time: 35 days; Ingredients: The eyes of a 5th or higher level monk.
Effect: As an interrupt when a missile or thrown attack hits you, you instead pluck the missile or thrown weapon from the air. This power recharges on a 16+.

Gloves of Thievery
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 15,000 gp; Time: 15 days; Ingredients: The fingers of a 5th or higher level thief.
Effect: You get a +3 bonus on checks to open locks or pick pockets.

Healer's Brooch
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 15,000 gp; Time: 15 days; Ingredients: The tears of a high priest of the Healing domain (cannot come from the creator).
Effect: Whenever you heal hit points with a prayer, you heal an extra 2 points of damage.

Necklace of Adaptation
Creation: Processes: 6 ; Components: 50,000 gp; Time: 290 days; Ingredients: A barrel of water from a mile below the surface and a bladder of air from a mile above the surface.
Effect: While you wear this necklace, you can breathe water or other liquids, foul gasses and even vaccuum. You are not affected by environmental changes in pressure. This necklace gives you no protection against attacks of any sort.

Ring of Invisibility

Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 23 days; Ingredients: Thirty pixie wings.
Body Slot: Ring.
Effect: As a move action, you become invisible and shift 10'. The invisibility lasts until the end of the next round or until you attack. If you have not attacked, you can spend a minor action to sustain this effect until the end of your next turn. This power recharges on a 17+.

Ring of Shooting Stars
Creation: Processes: 6; Components: 85,000 gp; Time: 600 days; Ingredients: Lodestone and crystal taken from a meteor.
Body Slot: Ring.
Effect: This ring has great powers under the night sky and lesser powers whenever indoors. While indoors, you may spend a standard action to create two balls of lightning in unoccupied squares that last until the end of your next turn (sustain minor). While the balls exist, you may spend a move action to move each one 20' but may not move them into or through occupied spaces. The balls shed dim light in a 10' radius, and if a creature enters a square with a ball of lightning in it, the ball discharges and deals 2d6 lightning damage to that creature. You can recharge this power by burning an action point under the open stars.

When you are under the open stars, you may create balls of lightning, as above, but may never have more than four in existence at a time. In addition, as a standard action you may fire three shooting stars at targets, no two of whom are more than 20' apart, within a range of 60'. Make a spell attack against Reflex for each shooting star. If you hit, the star deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage and penetrates damage reduction as if it were a +2 weapon. Additionally, whether you hit or miss, each creature within 5' of at least one of the stars' target points also takes 1d10 fire damage. You must burn an action point before rolling to recharge this power; it recharges on an 18+.

You can burn an action point any time you have one and can take a free action, even if you need to recharge your ability to spend an action point.

Scabbard of Sharpness
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 15,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The hands of a dwarven master smith.
Body Slot: Waist or back.
Effect: If you store a light or heavy blade in this scabbard for at least one minute, the weapon's critical range doubles when you draw it. This effect lasts until the end of the next round (save continues on a 10+).

WONDROUS ITEMS

Wondrous items are items that do not fit into another category. Some wondrous items have the outward appearance of an item from another category, but don't function as items from that category do (for example, a manual of gainful exercise).

Creation: For a creature to create a wondrous item, it must know the Craft Wondrous Item ritual. Procedures for crafting wondrous items vary widely.

Identifying Wondrous Items: The easiest way to identify magic a magic implement is experimentation. Some are very hard to identify without consulting a sage or using magic.

D12 --- Wondrous Item
1 --- Bag of Holding
2 --- Banner of Victory
3 --- Carpet of Flying
4 --- Chime of Opening
5 --- Cube of Force
6 --- Decanter of Endless Water
7 --- Dust of Appearance
8 --- Dust of Disappearance
9 --- Iron Flask
10 --- Manual of Gainful Exercise
11 --- Vacuous Grimoire
12 --- Wind Fan

Bag of Holding
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 5,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The skin of a giant frog.
Effect: This bag is the size of a large sack on the outside, but it contains a demiplane 10' in diameter. The bag always weighs 5 lbs, no matter how much material is inside it. The neck of the bag is 2' in diameter.

Banner of Victory
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 30,000 gp; Time: 150 days; Ingredients: The head of a great hero of at least 7th level.
Effect: As a full action, you can plant this banner in an unoccupied square. If you do, you and all of your allies gain a +1 bonus to attacks and damage while you can see the banner and are within 50' of it. The banner can be taken down by any creature with a standard action. If an enemy does this, you and all allies that received the banner's bonus suffer a -1 penalty to attacks and defenses.

Carpet of Flying
Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 45,000 gp; Time: 325 days; Ingredients: The feathers of a roc.
Effect: This carpet measures 10' x 20' and can seat up to eight medium or small creatures. For up to four hours per day the carpet can fly at a speed of 20', although the creature in the front left seat must spend the move action to move it. (If the seat is unoccupied, the carpet falls.) The carpet has a maximum altitude of 20'.

Chime of Opening
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 5,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The fingers of a 5th or higher level thief.
Effect: As a standard action, you sound this chime and make a Dexterity check with a +4 bonus to open a lock within a range of 10'. This ability recharges on a 14+.

Cube of Force
Creation: Processes: 6; Components: 50,000 gp; Time: 940 days; Ingredients: The heart of a force dragon.
Effect: As a standard action, you create a 10' cube of force that contains you. (If you are larger than this, the effect fails.) This force cube is immobile and creatures (and the cube of force itself) cannot pass through it. While you are within the cube, you gain a +4 bonus to AC, Fortitude and Reflex and gain DR 10/- and resist 10 acid, cold, fire, force, lightning and necrotic. This effect lasts until the end of the next round and recharges on a 19+.

Decanter of Endless Water
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 8,000 gp; Time: 30 days; Ingredients: The liquid of a 6th or higher level water elemental.
Effect: While this decanter is unstoppered, it pours forth ½ gallon of water per round. It takes a standard action to stopper or unstopper this decanter.

Dust of Appearance (consumable)
Creation: Processes: 2; Components: 5,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: The eyes of a hell hound.
Effect: As a standard action, you hurl a pinch of this dust in a 10'x10' blast. All invisibility within the blast ends, and creatures and objects within the blast cannot become invisible (save ends on a 17+). When first created, a pouch of dust of appearance contains 10 pinchs.

Dust of Disappearance (consumable)
Creation: Processes: 4; Components: 10,000 gp; Time: 10 days; Ingredients: Ichor from an invisible stalker.
Effect: As a standard action, you sprinkle a pinch of this dust on a creature you can touch. It becomes invisible until the end of the next round (save continues on a 7+). When first created, a pouch of dust of disappearance contains 10 pinchs.

Iron Flask
Creation: Processes: 6; Components: 100,000 gp; Time: 3600 days; Ingredients: Six weapons taken from a marilith.
Effect: As a standard action when the flask is empty, you unstopper it and present it to a creature with the demon, devil or pseudonatural keyword within a range of 30'. Make a spell attack vs. Will against that creature. If you hit, it is sucked into the iron flask and imprisoned within it. While imprisoned, the creature cannot take any actions except to attempt to break free by succeeding at a Charsima check opposed by your Wisdom, which it can try once per day. If it succeeds, the iron flask is destroyed and the creature materialized in an unoccupied space adjacent to you, or in the closest available unoccupied space, and is able to act the next round. If it fails a number of escape attempts equal to its level, it can no longer attempt to escape. While the subject is imprisoned, it can see and hear as if the iron flask were its eyes and ears. Some arrogant or powerful users will attempt to strike a bargain with an imprisoned creature.

As a standard action when the flask contains a creature, you unstopper it. The contained creature materializes in an adjacent unoccupied space of your choice, or the closes available unoccupied space, and is able to act the next round.

Manual of Gainful Exercise
Creation: Processes: 5; Components: 100,000 gp; Time: 2,900 days; Ingredients: The tendons of a creature of 7th or higher level with a Strength of 18 or higher.
Effect: This manual contains instructions for a regimen of exercise that will rapidly build your Strength. If you spend a continuous month performing the exercises and studying the book, your Strength score increases by 2d10%. Only one creature can benefit from the book in any given month.

Vacuous Grimoire
Effect: This manual appears to be a book of arcane lore. However, when owned by a wizard, it begins sucking the spells out of its owner's spellbooks. Determine which spell is destroyed randomly; a vacuous grimoire will destroy one spell per month until its owner passes it on to another creature.

If its owner is not a wizard, the vacuous grimoire will begin destroying random bits of text in books, scrolls, maps and other written documents that the owner has at a rate of one page per day. The grimoire hungers to consume spells.

Wind Fan
Creation: Processes: 3; Components: 6,000 gp; Time: 11 days; Ingredients: The essence of an air elemental.
Effect: As a standard action, you wave this fan and create a blast up to 30' in size. Make a spell attack vs. Reflex against each creature in the blast. If you hit a large or larger creature, you push it 5'; if you hit a medium creature, you push it 10' and knock it prone; it you hit a small creature, you push it 15' and knock it prone; and if you hit a tiny or smaller creature, you push it 25' and knock it prone. This power recharges on a 17+.

Quickleaf

Legend
Wow! That's some serious D&D :)

A quick ingredient question about Holy weapons - the heart of a good creature? That seems a little evil (if you kill them) or at least macabre (if they're already dead). I'm sure you have a reason, especially since organ harvesting seems to be a theme behind magic item creation. But maybe you could require the tears of an angel, or blood from a person who has never sinned?

the Jester

Legend
A quick ingredient question about Holy weapons - the heart of a good creature? That seems a little evil (if you kill them) or at least macabre (if they're already dead). I'm sure you have a reason, especially since organ harvesting seems to be a theme behind magic item creation. But maybe you could require the tears of an angel, or blood from a person who has never sinned?

The rough system for item creation that I've got here exists at the interaction of two parts of my design philosophy: encourage downtime and discourage item creation.

Specifically regarding holy weapons, I gave serious thought to doing a "tears of ______" or something, but as I was mulling it over I realized that keeping it the heart of a good creature both kept a certain sort of symmetry that I like and made it a possible moral dilemma to create one (for a good creature, anyhow).

Yes, you could take the heart of an already dead good creature- that's the less unsavory method, and probably the one a good creature forging such a weapon would take. But I like that it is not an easy decision to make a holy weapon.

Edit: FTR I'm currently working on my "xp for monsters" charts. I have a very rough draft but need to look and see how the numbers come out.

NoWayJose

First Post
The rough system for item creation that I've got here exists at the interaction of two parts of my design philosophy: encourage downtime and discourage item creation.
Love the item creation rules. Love the 'Accidental' creation of Vacuous Grimoire. Not sure if it will discourage item creation. I forsee PCs chasing after missions that will enable them to get the spell components, like a resource hunting mini-game. I think that's a good thing.

Perhaps powerful NPCs are somehow able to forgoe or alter the default components. So Sauron can make himself a ring of invisibility without the pixie wings :) Perhaps there are a few possible ways to make the same item, but the default component is the Commonly Known method and there are Uncommon and Rarely Known ways as well.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Love the item creation rules. Love the 'Accidental' creation of Vacuous Grimoire. Not sure if it will discourage item creation. I forsee PCs chasing after missions that will enable them to get the spell components, like a resource hunting mini-game. I think that's a good thing.

Well, it's more than just the ingredients- you need to know the ritual and recipe too. And, for powerful items, high costs. (Remember that 'spending money frivolously' thing...?)

Perhaps powerful NPCs are somehow able to forgoe or alter the default components. So Sauron can make himself a ring of invisibility without the pixie wings :) Perhaps there are a few possible ways to make the same item, but the default component is the Commonly Known method and there are Uncommon and Rarely Known ways as well.

Well, I'd say that Sauron prolly has pixie wings by the bushel just because he likes to rip them out of pixies...

Remove ads